Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,243 times

Advertisements

I bought a vehicle recently and I have to register it in Jersey, but the facility I took it to said I would fail because of my tints. I'm new to Jersey so I thought it was kinda odd for me to fail because of the tint I have since it is factory tint from Ford Motor Co. and I believe they put tint on all of these models (Navigator). I guess I still have to get rid of it so I am trying to find a place where I could get it removed, does anybody know of any places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 08:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
isnt that the kind of thing you can do yourself with a razor blade?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
isnt that the kind of thing you can do yourself with a razor blade?
I never tried it before. I was thinking about doing it myself, but I don't know how it is to scrap off factory tint.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:07 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
I wouldn't try to do that yourself. You could end up scratching the windows and then you'll have an even more expensive mess on your hands. I would guess that any shop that does tinting would be able to remove it. I know somebody that used this company in Union: Tropic Window Tinting - The Window Tinting Professionals

Old 10-30-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I wouldn't try to do that yourself. You could end up scratching the windows and then you'll have an even more expensive mess on your hands. I would guess that any shop that does tinting would be able to remove it. I know somebody that used this company in Union: Tropic Window Tinting - The Window Tinting Professionals

Okay thanks.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
In NJ, the only windows you CANNOT have tinted are the driver and pass front windows and the windshield. You can spraypaint the other windws black if you want and you are breaking no laws. IMO I would NOT try to remove factory tint from any window. As far as I know, there is no car ever delivered from the factory with tinted front windows. If you bought it new with tint, it was applied by the dealer.

As for doing it yourself, take a heatgun or hair dryer heat the top edge of the tint for a few seconds and start to peel away. Then just heat/peel the rest of it off. If its been on the car for many many years, you will most likely have to scrape it off with a razor blade.

Having a shop do it for you is the safest bet as they have the tools and expertise to do it properly. but you will end up paying almost as much to take it off as you would to have new tint put on.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
fyi- The is NO car out there with factory tint on the front side windows, so if you failed due to it, it was NOT factory tint. You cannot remove factory tint. Its between the windows.. When we movd to jersey 8 months ago I had aftermarket tint on my wiondows and it came off easy with a razor blade and a $6 botle of tine temover from pep boys. The adhesive after the tint was peeled off was the tough part yo get off. The tint itself too 10 minutes to get off, the adhesive 2 hours

Old 10-30-2009, 10:09 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,856,876 times
Right. You can't scrape off factory tint.

My tint came right off in 1 piece. If you roll down the windows a crack, you will see where the tint ends. You could start peeling here.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 AM

115 posts, read 446,880 times
The Tint Shop on Rt 1 in Edison did a great job removing mine prior to inspection. 732-650-9100. To remove 2 front windows they charge me $25 and took about 15 minutes. If you want the whole car stripped, plan on leaving the car, this could take as much as 2 hours because the rear window has to be steamed off not scraped because of the rear defrosters

Last edited by hln917; 11-03-2009 at 07:46 AM..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:45 AM

312 posts, read 1,163,790 times
This might not be good advice but maybe you can take the car to a private inspection garage. They might overlook your window tint. If you bought this car new from the dealer I would insist that they remove the tint for you. How could they sell you a car that would not pass inspection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey