Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 PM

88 posts, read 297,942 times

Advertisements

you will need over 100k to live comfortably if you have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM

195 posts, read 491,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awd250 View Post
you will need over 100k to live comfortably if you have kids.
It can be done on 75K, just don't expect to keep up with the Joneses (which is never a wise endeavour, anyhow).

Old 11-09-2009, 01:59 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,750,585 times
I think while you and your family are getting used to your surroundings you should go for a town that is very close to the city. Also keep in mind from your wife's perspective that she will not have anyone around so if you are commuting for an hour and a half she may get very lonely and depressed. I would say Rutherford, Lyndhurst and North Arlington are good choices they all have buses and the first two have train stations as well. Secaucus might be another good choice. I know the schools in Rutherford are good and the town is very cute. Lyndhurst is not quite as cute but still safe and lots of family activities the schools are good BUT there is no middle school so the kids are all together from kindergarten thru 8th grade which really bugged me but some people don't care. I'm not sure about north arlington or secaucus schools but they don't have bad reputations. We rented in Lyndhurst for 2 years our first place was 2,000 sq ft 3bd 2 bth for $2k a month and our second place was 1,600 sq ft 3 bd 2 bth for $1,700 a month which I think is pretty affordable for the NYC metro area. You may be able to find something a little cheaper in one of the outer boros of NYC but I don't think the neighborhood will be as family oriented. But there are lots of families out there, it just depends if you want to do the whole urban thing or live in the burbs. My favorite "family" boro is Queens (but I did grow up there so i am biased) I think Long Island is too pricey and the commute sucks.

As for keeping two cars if you can swing it do not get rid of the second car until you are settled in and certain that you do not need it. You may get lucky and live within walking distance of your bus/train but if you don't this means your wife will either be stranded at home all day or forced to pick you up drop you off everyday which could be tricky. We have 1 car and manage but it can be very frustrating at times.

As for sticker shock... you can probably get a place for the same $$$ as you are paying in NC but keep in mind that things here are older, you will not get pretty new construction with cute amenities like you will get in NC. So when you come and look and everything looks a little worn down don't be surprised. Their is new construction and stuff but it goes for a premimum.

As for how much you need to get by, I really hope you are getting a raise with your new job you definitely need much more $$$ to live comfortably here. I'd say upwards of $100K for a family of your size with two cars but it can be done for less just don't expect the same lifestyle you had back home for the same $$$.
GL with your move!

Old 11-09-2009, 02:18 PM

127 posts, read 310,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8 View Post
We are a family of four moving from NC to NJ. I'm considering taking an offer with a company on 32nd street NYC.We are not familiar with NJ as well as NYC. I"m assuming NJ is where people typically live and commute from.

a) We are currently renting a 3 bedroom 1200sq ft apartment for $1200. With the job in manhattan, what places in NJ should we consider to rent an apartment? What is the approximate rent. Looking to be in good neighborhood, good schools, safe, family oriented, typical nearby activities/classes for kids (karate, dance, etc.)
b) what would be the best way to commute to work in nyc from your above recommended neighborhoods. what is the door to door time?
c) what are good school districts. My eldest will be in kindergarten next fall
d) We have two cars now. If most of my commute is to nyc, do we need two cars in family. Should I dispose off one?
e) We are a single earner family. My wife is a full time stay at home mom. What is a decent salary for a family of four in your above recommended areas in NJ?
f) How is the cost of living in general? Any sticker shocker I should be aware off (car insurance, expenses, etc)
g) Anything else you would like to comment or advice that I may have missed asking here
h) I may go out there initially for a month or two and then relocate my family. Company is not paying for relocation. Any advice on logistics- i)should I look for an apartment right away and sign a lease? ii)Any other short term cheaper accomodations iii) any other creative ideas?. Another thing to note is that I'll not have my car till I relocate.

Thanks a bunch in advance!
A. The Rent - double it if you want a similar sized home, even if it is in a gheto
B. Best ways to commute are bus and train from any neighborhood. You can drive but it's going to cost $8 a day for bridge or tunnel and then another $30-50 a day to park, and that's not to mention gas and other tolls and it will still take you like 1 to 2 hours from a lot of places.
C. Old Bridge, East Brunswick, Montclair, and paramus are good school districts. NJ has almost all good schools, that will be one big improvement from where you are in NC - might be the only improvement.
D. If you commute by bus or train then dump a car. It will cost you more to insure one car than it cost to insure two in NC.
E. $100,000 + but $80,000 is OK and if you live poor you can get by on as little as $60 or even 50K
F. Everything cost more here except gas and you can get similar prices on groceries if you comparison shop
G. taxes are super high so be ready to pay them. My brother's house is worth aboutt $400K in Passaic County and he pays more per month in property tax than my friend pays for rent in North Carolina! When I lived in AZ my rent was less than my brother's prop. tax is also. It's very high! But we don't pay sales tax on food or clothes. Also our tolls for the parkway andd turnpike went up a lot so they are expensive to drive on, at least $2 for even a shorter trip of 20 to 30 miles. Probably more. Each way!
H. You should bring your car since you have two anyway. To get around in NJ you pretty much need one. Why would you leave NC?? I'm considering moving from here to THERE!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:44 PM

82 posts, read 139,248 times
Bear in mind that you will pay NYC as well as NJ income taxes and the cost of commuting.

Have you checked out New Rochelle, NY? What about City Island, which I believe is technically part of the Bronx, or even Park Slope, Brooklyn? Give the suburbs on the NY side more consideration.

If you don't use your car to commute, let the insurer know that. You'll be charged, rightfully so, at the pleasure rate. That should bring the cost down, regardless of what state you live in. I had coverage in NJ thru Geico, and because I work from home, I had (and always have) the pleasure rate. It was less than a grand a year for a 2007 Hyundai Tucson.

Auto insurance is MUCH cheaper in AZ, but in the Southwestern states, it costs quite a lot to register a vehicle. The newer the car, the more it costs. I paid around $300 here in Tucson, as opposed to about $45 in NJ.

Good luck to you and the family! And congrats on the job!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
... F. Everything cost more here except gas...
How much is gas in NJ these days? Last time I checked (a few days ago), it was $2.15 in my neighborhood in Tucson. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:49 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Cfan View Post
How much is gas in NJ these days? Last time I checked (a few days ago), it was $2.15 in my neighborhood in Tucson. Thanks!
This morning by me, it $2.48 a gallon, regular if you pay with cash.... and $2.58 a gallon, regular paying by credit card.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
This morning by me, it $2.48 a gallon, regular if you pay with cash.... and $2.58 a gallon, regular paying by credit card.
Thank you for replying! Much obliged! That's not so bad at all. The price I quoted is the cash one also. And it does sometimes drop to $2.05 and rise to $2.40-ish. What a relief! The NJ price is pretty much in line with the price I pay here. I was bracing myself for a $3+ price.

Do you guys get to pump your own yet, or are there still attendants doing it?
AZ, like NV and TX, is a "pump-your-own" state, which I think helps keep costs down.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM

14 posts, read 65,449 times
If you want to have any time to spend with your family you will not be able to commute from as far as Mahwah. Keep in mind bus schedules are based on clear sailing which is only 1/3 of the time.
There are delays coming home if you use Port authority, endless lines and if you get there just in time for your bus the line may be too long and you won't get on, that always frustrated me, standing there another 20 minutes for nothing.

Nutley is nice and close, and more affordable than places close to the river and trendy like Hoboken or Jersey City.
Keep in mind for your kids sake in NJ one town can be very nice and withen 3 miles crime filled. Newark is the ******* of NJ....gangs rule....gangs are all over most of NJ.
I moved up to Sussex county to raise my kids in the woods and lakes but my husband commuted 1 1/2 hours each way...still does.
Anyway you look at it....you need a very good salary to support a family in any decent area, so be sure what sounds like a lot of money in SC is probably lower middle class here. Car insurance and taxes are a lot, plus you pay extra tax for working in NY and living in NJ.
Check into the monthly bus fare too, and subway to work from the bus, if necessary is $1.25 each way now. Lunch in the city will shock you, even McDonalds is more in Manhattan.
I wish you and your family luck, just do a lot of research so you don't have too many unexpected surprises.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC8 View Post
We are a family of four moving from NC to NJ. I'm considering taking an offer with a company on 32nd street NYC.We are not familiar with NJ as well as NYC. I"m assuming NJ is where people typically live and commute from.

a) We are currently renting a 3 bedroom 1200sq ft apartment for $1200. With the job in manhattan, what places in NJ should we consider to rent an apartment? What is the approximate rent. Looking to be in good neighborhood, good schools, safe, family oriented, typical nearby activities/classes for kids (karate, dance, etc.)
b) what would be the best way to commute to work in nyc from your above recommended neighborhoods. what is the door to door time?
c) what are good school districts. My eldest will be in kindergarten next fall
d) We have two cars now. If most of my commute is to nyc, do we need two cars in family. Should I dispose off one?
e) We are a single earner family. My wife is a full time stay at home mom. What is a decent salary for a family of four in your above recommended areas in NJ?
f) How is the cost of living in general? Any sticker shocker I should be aware off (car insurance, expenses, etc)
g) Anything else you would like to comment or advice that I may have missed asking here
h) I may go out there initially for a month or two and then relocate my family. Company is not paying for relocation. Any advice on logistics- i)should I look for an apartment right away and sign a lease? ii)Any other short term cheaper accomodations iii) any other creative ideas?. Another thing to note is that I'll not have my car till I relocate.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Hi KC8,

If you are planning to take the bus to NYC and if you want your kids to go to the East Brunswick school district, You may want to consider the condo I am renting out.

The place is in the desirable "Kingswood Station" - right off of the popular Cranbury Road, The condo has 2 bedrooms (18x12 and 12x10), 2 full Bath, Sunken Living room in addition to entertainment Room With Vaulted / cathedral Ceilings & Skylights. Master bedroom has a large walk in closet and a sit-in window. There is a separate dining area outside the kitchen. You get ample storage in addition to a porch / sit-out area.
Freshly painted, New carpet, New Appliances (including cooking range, dishwasher, Washer, Dryer, heating / cooling units). Cable ready in Living and all bedrooms as well. In - ground swimming pool, Tennis, clubhouse and playground. Beautiful unit in the rear of the development, close to shopping, NJ Turnpike, Sam's club, & NYC transportation / Coach USA Park 'n Ride.
As many others mentioned, you cannot get the NC rents out here. My place is being offered for $1700. you can view the pictures in the links below:
Best Rental in Kingswood Station! (http://cnj.craigslist.org/apa/1455322713.html - broken link)

Email View

you can email me at sell.cabinet@gmail.com if you are interested.

Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey