Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 AM

14 posts, read 65,584 times

Advertisements

I think your idea of coming out first to explore options and start getting settled is best so you are sure about an area before you settle your kids there in a school.
On the plus side New Jersey schools are pretty good.

Last year I was offered a job in Manhattan, I moved closer temporarily to check it out and quickly found the $55,000 a year that sounded so great up in Sussex county was just enough to live on, and it was just me and my dog !

If you can afford it the RiverVale/Old Tappan area is a bit country and safe and about 45 minutes once on the bus.

If you have a choice of bus or train to commute, the train just goes but buses are at the mercy of delays from accidents or disabled cars that can block the road for 1/2 an hour or more.

I always find reading local papers before moving gives me a good idea of a place as well as googling crime stats for a particular town. You can try the New Jersey Record and the Star Ledger.
If you want to sublet a place first that is common too....try Sublet.com.
Be safe and happy.
By the way in SC are you in a large city or a small town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,130,808 times
Moving into one of the buroughs might be fine for someone used to the northeast, but for someone from NC to move to Park Slope will be major culture shock. I was raised in NJ, and I live on Staten Island (for last 12 years), and I could not even imagine living in Brooklyn - omg, paying to park a car, getting up at 5 am just to move it to another side of the street or driving around for 2 hours to find a place or doing what my friend does, parking her car in a garage and taking a taxi home!

And then there's the NYC schools - egads, putting a NC kid into a city school!

OP, have you looked at this move completely? Are the financial gains sufficient to overcome the negatives of moving your children into this environment? Are you prepared to spend a minimum of 2 hours per day commuting IN THE BEST of circumstances. More likely your commuting time will be 3 to 4 hours per day.
IF tiy decide the financial gains are worth it, you can also look into Jersey City and Bayonne. There are some great neighborhoods in both those cities and they are within 1/2 hr commuting time. For an extra 10 minutes, you can also look into Kearny. All 3 towns have access to PATH trains as well as buses and light rail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Cfan View Post
Bear in mind that you will pay NYC as well as NJ income taxes and the cost of commuting.

Have you checked out New Rochelle, NY? What about City Island, which I believe is technically part of the Bronx, or even Park Slope, Brooklyn? Give the suburbs on the NY side more consideration.

If you don't use your car to commute, let the insurer know that. You'll be charged, rightfully so, at the pleasure rate. That should bring the cost down, regardless of what state you live in. I had coverage in NJ thru Geico, and because I work from home, I had (and always have) the pleasure rate. It was less than a grand a year for a 2007 Hyundai Tucson.

Auto insurance is MUCH cheaper in AZ, but in the Southwestern states, it costs quite a lot to register a vehicle. The newer the car, the more it costs. I paid around $300 here in Tucson, as opposed to about $45 in NJ.

Good luck to you and the family! And congrats on the job!

Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
KC8 KC8 started this thread

40 posts, read 148,497 times
Thanks for all your responses. Really appreciate it! Looks like Edison area (Edison, Iselin, Woodridge) is where I may end up focusing as the commute is 45 mins to an hour, can afford a 3bedroom apartment rental (1600 to 1700) and I've heard good school systems.
Any suggestions which elementary school is a good one in Edison area (Edison, Iselin, Woodridge). It'll help me further narrow down on selecting apartment rentals.

I'll also separate out and kick off a separate thread so that the responses are more focussed towards this question.

Thanks again

Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,202,423 times
Because you have kids; Paramus, Englewood Cliffs, Englewood, Nutley, Oradell, River Edge, Ridgewood

Living in New Jersey/New York area is much more expensive than elsewhere except California.
We have highest rent, more expensive taxes, property tax, insurance, housing price etc.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 AM

249 posts, read 650,727 times
I would definately agree that bergen county would be good for you, given you have kids. rent is $$$$$ here in NJ. you will prob be spending double on rent and if you are the only one working I hope that your salary will be above 80k.... I don't about a family of 4 living comfortably on 70k.. I alone make more than that and we are a family of 3 , currently renting and at times struggle. car insurance is insane in NJ prob double what you are paying. best of luck and if you don't want a long commute to NYC, then i suggest Edgewater, north bergen, West New York or Hoboken, you will have the ferry right there and can find a nice lux rental for about 2,000- 3,500 along the waterfront.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM

4 posts, read 18,755 times
Default high rent

u cnannot even find a studio in Nutley nj for 1200
very high.snow cold three months out of the year are good
however NY pays well
I would stay in sc and scrub floors before I ever pay that rent again
some rents are 1700 2700 for apts its nuts up that way
I left nj in 06 I live in NJ 45 years

Old 03-24-2011, 11:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,507,487 times
KC8, What did you ever decide on??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey