Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:24 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
The boardwalk draws the crowd. Notice Belmar has a different crowd no boardwalk. Same can be said comparing Cape May to Wildwood.
Belmar does have a boardwalk and actually I would say it has a similar crowd to Seaside. Loads of guidos/guidettes there renting houses. Belmar doesn't put up with anything, though, so it's a little bit more under control these days. It used to be pretty much just as bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
Tsk,tsk VD.

We wouldn't say spics or chinks, or god forbid, the "N" word now would we??
Ha, these guys are PROUD to be called guidos. It's even in the promo for the MTV show!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Isn't Belmar the town they had to put in the law that prevents you from drinking outside on the front porch? Remember hearing it was so bad with everyone drinking/partying on their front porchs/lawns they had to shut it down.
Could be a different town, memory is a bit fuzzy..........
There's no law against drinking on your porch. The ordinance actually had to do with some specific drinking activities. I'm not 100% on it as it's been a while since they passed it, but I believe it covered "kiddie pools" full of alcohol and beer pong/flip cup games being set up on non-enclosed front lawns.

Most other towns have debated whether to put these laws into place and decided not to go through with it. Belmar is pretty much a dictatorship controlled by the mayor, his council (all of which are the same party as he is) and his hand-picked big wigs in the PD.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 PM

232 posts, read 612,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
There's no law against drinking on your porch. The ordinance actually had to do with some specific drinking activities. I'm not 100% on it as it's been a while since they passed it, but I believe it covered "kiddie pools" full of alcohol and beer pong/flip cup games being set up on non-enclosed front lawns.

Most other towns have debated whether to put these laws into place and decided not to go through with it. Belmar is pretty much a dictatorship controlled by the mayor, his council (all of which are the same party as he is) and his hand-picked big wigs in the PD.
Yeah, I seem to remember reading stories of Belmar police driving down the street and issuing tickets for drinking outside. Not necessarily an accurate memory though..LOL !

Old 11-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I seem to remember reading stories of Belmar police driving down the street and issuing tickets for drinking outside. Not necessarily an accurate memory though..LOL !
Haha, yeah they do that all the time. Even most of us who live in the area pretty much tell our town councils NOT to go as far as Belmar goes. It's overkill. I know people who have gotten tickets for speaking in conversational tones on Belmar streets after a certain hour. Someone else I know was hailing a taxi and got a ticket for yelling "Taxi!" when he saw the cab coming. Plus, if people who live in a summer rental home get more than two noise violations in a season (not hard in this town) they actually pay for a Monmouth County Sheriff car to sit in front of the house from Fri-Mon. What a waste of taxpayers' money THAT is!

And then there was the famous incident where a vacationer got a ticket for yelling "Would you ladies like a drink?" when the mayor and his wife were riding their 2-person bicycle down a street. Apparently the mayor was dressed in short-shorts and the guy was poking a little bit of fun at him. He called the cops and they actually issued him some trumped up noise violation ticket. The guy fought it and it was eventually thrown out of court.

To sum up, Belmar is the town of fruits and nuts on the Jersey Shore. It can be fun, but I'd rather hang out in Sleazeside to be honest. At least they don't give out tickets just for having fun.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,314 times
Quote:
Belmar does have a boardwalk and actually I would say it has a similar crowd to Seaside. Loads of guidos/guidettes there renting houses. Belmar doesn't put up with anything, though, so it's a little bit more under control these days. It used to be pretty much just as bad.
Belmar does not match sleazsides saggy pant crowd

Old 11-11-2009, 01:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
I don't blame you. Ha, even those of us who live here avoid Seaside in the summer, to an extent. Not sure why Seaside draws the crowd it does - I suppose the cheap motels make it an easy destination for young people without a ton of money who just want to party all night and crash somewhere.

Beach Haven/LBI is totally different. A lot of bars and a few clubs, but never any trouble for the most part. Pt. Pleasant, another OC haunt, has pretty much one club (Jenks) then a few bars but they have an army of police there in the summer. Seaside can look like a war zone on occasion in the summer. In addition to all of their regular officers and all of the summer help they hire, they STILL have to call in the Ocean County Sheriff to literally line the boardwalk with police SUVs and officers to keep things under control.
i was going to say, i remember you posting that you live on or around lbi and lbi doesnt get those guido sarduces from staten island like other jersey shore hot spots. i remember one trip to the marlin with my brother and 5 of them showed up. of course, those are the ones my brother ends up having a yelling match with.

i guess these shows arent doing much for nj's reputation but whatever. people should see that 1. nj residents for the most part arent like this and 2. most of these people are nyc residents not nj residents.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
I don't blame you. Ha, even those of us who live here avoid Seaside in the summer, to an extent. Not sure why Seaside draws the crowd it does - I suppose the cheap motels make it an easy destination for young people without a ton of money who just want to party all night and crash somewhere.

Beach Haven/LBI is totally different. A lot of bars and a few clubs, but never any trouble for the most part. Pt. Pleasant, another OC haunt, has pretty much one club (Jenks) then a few bars but they have an army of police there in the summer. Seaside can look like a war zone on occasion in the summer. In addition to all of their regular officers and all of the summer help they hire, they STILL have to call in the Ocean County Sheriff to literally line the boardwalk with police SUVs and officers to keep things under control.

you got to have both... Seaside is a lot of fun if you wanna go out and party all night. When your out partying all day, you dont need an expensive place... just somewhere to pass out

Old 11-11-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i was going to say, i remember you posting that you live on or around lbi and lbi doesnt get those guido sarduces from staten island like other jersey shore hot spots. i remember one trip to the marlin with my brother and 5 of them showed up. of course, those are the ones my brother ends up having a yelling match with.

i guess these shows arent doing much for nj's reputation but whatever. people should see that 1. nj residents for the most part arent like this and 2. most of these people are nyc residents not nj residents.
Marlin is a good place. I go there a lot. As far as guidos go, it IS New Jersey afterall, and while LBI doesn't get them anything like Seaside or Belmar there are always a few around. You're just not inundated with it like in other places where literally they take over 75% of a place.

I wouldn't mind these guys if they were cool and just wanted to have a good time. Yeah, they wear a lot of hair gel, chains, etc. and are a little loud. That doesn't bother me one bit. I'm loud in a noisy bar with a band playing too. What bothers me is that these guys literally don't mind getting into a physical altercation over anything. When you're in a packed bar you're going to bump into people. Most normal people realize this, but half these guys will want to start a fight over it. Heaven forbid a drink gets spilled. Now, I'm about 6'3 and 220lbs., so I'm not walking around worried any of these clowns are necessarily going to "beat me up," but I'll be damned if I'M going to get into a fist fight and wind up in jail overnight because of these idiots. They, on the other hand, don't seem to really care about this fact, which is why I usually just notify a bouncer if someone is causing a problem.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM

861 posts, read 2,717,609 times
Quote:
Belmar does have a boardwalk and actually I would say it has a similar crowd to Seaside.
Belmar does NOT have a boardwalk!
Sure, it has some wooden planks along the shore that a lot of people jog on... but there are no rides / games / vendors / food stands....
THATS what makes a boardwalk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey