Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,271 times

Advertisements

Hey Jersey folks. Before relocating to Texas, I spent the past 29 years of my life in Monmouth County. I used to live in Ocean Township to be exact. My old job was in Middlesex County, and I went to grad school at NJIT in Newark.

While growing up and living in Ocean Township, I noticed that most of Monmouth County usually would support the Republican Party during every election season. From what I saw all around me- On every family's front yard, there would be Bush/Cheney signs in 2004, McCain/Palin signs last year, and Christie signs a couple of months ago.

Compared to the 'blue state' counties in North Jersey- What is it about Monmouth County that makes it such a GOP stronghold? Why are the residents of Monmouth County solidly Republican?

I've always wondered about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Because they have common sense.

In reality, I think many people who move to Monmouth (and Ocean) counties do so because they're not too keen on the lifestyle and high taxes in North Jersey, and politics definitely plays a part in that decision. And since children generally grow up with the influence of their parents the politics of a particular side remains strong. The old-school residents of Monmouth and Ocean who have been here for generations are also very supportive of the second amendment and fishing and hunting, which are defended in New Jersey by Republicans.

Also, there are very few urban areas in Monmouth/Ocean counties. It's really only a couple municipalities in each, so that cuts down on the Democrat vote. If you removed Newark, Irvington and East Orange from Essex County, I wonder just how "blue" it really would be. I'd say the average resident of Essex Fells, West Caldwell or Roseland would be voting similarly to a Monmouth County resident. The other issue you get up north is that people move there from NYC who are predominantly liberal who bring an urban voting mindset into the 'burbs.

Last edited by VeradoDan; 11-15-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 11:38 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,614 times
That was great! I was thinking the same thing VeradoDan.

I have noticed that the republicans I know came from up north. Towns like Eliz, Newark, etc. These towns are Democratic - they provide social services, low income housing- typically those receiving those services want to continue receiving them and vote the democrats in.

Some of us would rather move out, buy a house and have a better life. Maybe in Monmouth County there are many that have moved from the north because the taxes are so expensive. The proximity to NYC and public transportation makes the north more desireable to some (Newark, Eliz., Hillside, Union, etc). The ones I know wanted to move away from all of that and would rather have a longer drive.

Just my idea- not sure if it's true- but that's what I see.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:40 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,614 times
That's funny- I guess we were writing our responses at the same time. By the time I posted my response- you had just posted yours. Sounds like we're thinking the same here.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Also, there are very few urban areas in Monmouth/Ocean counties. It's really only a couple municipalities in each, so that cuts down on the Democrat vote. If you removed Newark, Irvington and East Orange from Essex County, I wonder just how "blue" it really would be. I'd say the average resident of Essex Fells, West Caldwell or Roseland would be voting similarly to a Monmouth County resident. The other issue you get up north is that people move there from NYC who are predominantly liberal who bring an urban voting mindset into the 'burbs.
as much as liberals like to believe that the intelligent people are liberals, they count on those poverty filled urban areas for their votes.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM

81 posts, read 174,363 times
There is a divide in Monmouth. The large wealthy Irish population are republicans. Especially along the wealthy shore line. While wealthy Jewish voters in places like Marlboro Township are solid democrats. Its Monmouth county's 43% blue collar working class whites with no college degrees that have always kept Monmouth GOP. But the demographics have changed over the years as more Hispanics, Asians & Blacks have move in.

Some People love pointing out that working class uneducated blacks keep voting for democrats. But they somehow KEEP FORGETTING ( or should I say selective memory) that working class uneducated whites also keep voting for republicans. Same group of people. Just different skin color.

As one wealthy Jew from NY once said,

" The difference between working class blacks & working class whites in terms of voting is at least Democrats really fight for poor & working class people. There would not be a Black middle class today if not for the democrats. FHA, GI Bill, Medicaid, Uneemployment Insurance, medicare. ALL THESE democrat programs have benefitted 50 million americans, WHITE & BLACK in the last 40 years. With poor whites, they keep voting for a Republican party that does not give a damn about them. Somehow these poor white voters think they will magically become wealthy by voting for the GOP. The GOP wants tax cuts for the wealthy while these poor whites have LITERALLY NO CLUE what time is it. That's what you call VOTING AGAINST YOUR FAMILY'S POCKET BOOK"

Old 11-16-2009, 09:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
the working class whites arent looking for handouts.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:49 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDolan View Post
There is a divide in Monmouth. The large wealthy Irish population are republicans. Especially along the wealthy shore line. While wealthy Jewish voters in places like Marlboro Township are solid democrats. Its Monmouth county's 43% blue collar working class whites with no college degrees that have always kept Monmouth GOP. But the demographics have changed over the years as more Hispanics, Asians & Blacks have move in.
This is absolutely incorrect, except for the part where Jewish voters go Democratic (for reasons I will absolutely NEVER understand). Monmouth County is an expensive place in which to live, with real estate values having gone through the roof. The blue-collar roots of Monmouth County are almost gone, quite frankly.

Today's Monmouth County GOP is largely made up of professionals who moved to the area from North Jersey. In addition to that, there has been a migration from traditionally-Republican areas of NYC such as Staten Island and Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Monmouth County towns such as Howell and Freehold, with Irish, Italian, Polish and yes, some Hispanic folks clearly voting that way.

I have not seen any increase in the number of black voters in Monmouth County whatsoever. Generally, the only black towns in the county are Asbury Park and to a much lesser extent, Neptune and Long Branch. As for the Hispanic population, the vast majority that has moved in are not here legally and therefore can/do not vote. Those Hispanics who are here legally are often upper middle class voters who can go either way politically.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:11 AM

390 posts, read 1,510,451 times
I am also from Ocean Twp. Now in Long Branch.

Dont know anything about politics, though.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 AM

81 posts, read 174,363 times
VeradoDan- I certainly understand why the two most educated, most entrepreneural, very Affluent ethnic groups, Jewish & Asian-americans are solid democrats.

Its the working class blue collar union member white males who vote Republican that is a mystery to me. Well I take that back. Its not really a mystery. Its more of a tragedy.

Its a simple example of how an undereducated group of people can be deceived year after year in voting against the economic interest of their blue collar family. If not for these Democratic party supported Unions, these fellows would be making $ 10 dollars an hour instead of $ 25 dollars an hour as a union member. If not for their Unions, which Republicans have been successfully chipping away year after year, they would be part of the millions of unemployed. They owe their job protection to their unions.

You think these high school educated manual blue collar workers would be driving expensive SUV's, live in nice suburban towns if not for the $25, $35 an hour union jobs.

Again, tell your kids to go to college ! Unfortunately I see many of these majority Italian kids from blue collar families decide to pass up on college & go straight to the workforce. Long term its a very bad career move in the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey