Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:23 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
So that's a NO for Newark. Or Ironbound is a Yes?
Forest Hills and Ironbound are a "maybe", depending on what you're looking for and what kind of budget you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM

17 posts, read 79,053 times
NewtotheBlcok, i will give you an HONEST answer to newark, and try to direct your move.

I diddnt even have an account on this site until I read this post. Alot of BS. CaptainNJ, can you even name a single block in newark?

Look, I am White, Irish, and have lived in newark my entire life. And I grew up (by census standards) Middle Class. Never been in jail, but definitely have more street smarts than the average white prejudiced population in surburban areas outside of the essex/hudson area, especially those down the shore (forget who said it but somebody said 'people in ocean county who are scared when they enter a city) that cracked me up, i lived in toms river for a year and those kids walk around like they are all tough and all, hats backwards and all that, they are scared to go into lakewood (that is their idea of a hood, and to be fair, probably the most urban/hood area you will find in ocean county) so i had a good laugh at that.

Anyway, back to the point, i have lived in the Ironbound, Vailsburg (yes, vailsburg), north newark and university heights, where i currently have my apartment. I love newark and will never leave.

As far as crime is concerned, we do have a high crime rate, but improvements are being made and one by one drug spots are shutting down and the 'avenue', an area that was all hookers up unitl about 5 years ago, has had mass demolition of old crack houses and a huge police presence to combat prostitution and heroin trade.

As far as a culture shock, i can see how a suburbanite, white or black or red or whatever, would endure some shock if they grew up in rich areas then came to live in newark. However, all in all, newark is split about evenly as far as desireable areas. I grew up with mainly portugese, puerto rican, black and other spanish friends, and am blessed because of it to be more open minded and knowledgeable of many cultures. I have had black girlfriends, Spanish filipino and white, i try not to see color and don't judge by skin or religion. People here tell me I am one of a kind, but there are others like me in newark, who aren't prejudice, and when I / WE go to the burbs or down the shore and here all the racist jokes and all, it kinda makes me sick and almost embarrassed of my own kind to think people can act and think that way.

The only reason i brought up the race issue is this point: Fact is, newark in most areas in predominantly black, and secondary puerto rican/spanish, but if in 2010, if thats a problem to you, i feel bad for you. As long as you aren't a bigot and can appreciate differences in culture, you should be alright. Like I said, lifelong resident.

Rough around the edges? Hell yea, in parts. I was forced into many fights i diddnt plan on growing up, as young as 8 years old. Was robbed a few times, wont lie. And let me tell you bigots something: A White Heroin Addict Thug will rob or stab or shoot or rape you just as quick if not quicker than a Blood, crip or other black gangster. And MLK and irvine turner blvds by the drug areas And go to the ironbound, where it is mostly middle class (If you go down ferry street till it splits, at wilson ave, keep left and stay of ferry past pathmark, you will actually see seperated big suburban houses, that are newly built, with spacious backyards, they are knocking down the old factories and building these beautiful homes by the dozen.

As long as your not prejudice, or scared of certain races (because FEARFUL of a certain race means you are RACIST, RACISM is FEAR), you will be fine and will enjoy the diversity this city has to offer. Just avoid the drug areas and your chance of being any kind of victim dramatically decreases.

And look, im not a 'wigger' or 'trying to be something im not', im very proud of my irish culture, my parents came over from ireland to raise me here and chose newark as the place, and i plan on staying and raising my family here; Im just not a racist. First thing my parents taught me growing up was all of the different cultures in the area and how they all contribute to the local community, which we are very much a part of.

Back to the point, depends what you are lookin for. Newark is broken into five wards, north east west south central. All have good spots and bad spots. Come on up and check for yourself, i honestly wouldnt even mind showing you the good spots that i know of to live, and check craigslist for rooms and apartments, there are alot in the area.

I definately would come up and check for yourself, and have a tour guide, someone who knows the area, so you dont get the wrong idea (you know, if you see our 'industrial backyard' you may think its a crappy place, but actually its a great design, most of the industry is in one part, and we have a huge seaport and airport as well in that area, the rest of the city is primarily business and residential.

I made a good life here, im still young, 24, i graduated college, made a career in IT (technology) and stil advancing, was working on wall street until the financial mess really hit hard, laid off. But according to some of these dudes on here i guess we are all gun wielding thugs. Its a lot of people who hate newark for the simple fact they are prejudice, you just need to remember, human beings are diverse, most good but some bad, even hitler was a human being and had voiced opinions, so dont let the negative know it alls who never set foot on broad and market (our busiest corner) yet claim to know all about newark.

And screw the polls and ratings too, come see for yourself.
I wish you the best of luck, and god bless.

- Matt aka Shamrock
East Side High Alumni

Old 04-20-2010, 11:48 AM

195 posts, read 396,060 times
BrickcityIrishMick Iam also white and live here with my GF in the Ironbound and we have never had any problems, we moved here about a year ago by choice, I do my jogging at all hours of the night in downtown, no problems ever, my first choice to live in Newark would be Forest Hill, the homes are just amazing, as for the comments made by Reluctantgarden, Veradodan, CaptainNJ, Gemini365i, guys, keep your comments of hatred and bigotry to yourself, and just stay in your boring burbs.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM

17 posts, read 79,053 times
Newark boy, Haha its good to hear that, and you are not alone, the Ironbound is an up and coming area, east side is by far the best school and a lot of young families are moving in, especially since its seperated from the 'bad' parts by the railroad tracks all the way down. I would agree, that forest hills in North ward is the nicest area, that is a very expensive area to move into though, and its small size keeps the neighborhood high priced and most residents stay there for life.

University heights was a little rough around the edges back in the day, but look at it now, its beautiful. Newark is changing by the day, for the better, we had our first murder free month a little while ago, people are proud to say they are newarkers and the new construction in all areas, especially downtown and down neck (local slang for ironbound) are only adding to its marvel.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM

195 posts, read 396,060 times
Right on BrickIrishMick !!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
There's white people in Newark? Oh dear lord ,LOL j/k That's a good thing , alot of my black friend's in Newark want more diversity. So do i.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM

5 posts, read 7,971 times
Like so many other "cities," Newark has neighborhoods, some good, some bad. Of those Newark neighborhoods with which I am familiar, I would recommend HISTORIC FOREST HILL, for its architectural residential homes and the IRONBOUND, for its resturants and commerical hubs, in general. HISTORIC FOREST HILL is a culturally, racially and ethnically diverse neighborhood and is largely considered by those who know about Newark geographically as the city's residential gem "on a hill." For more information i.e. history and current information on HISTORIC FOREST HILL, check out www.fhcanewark.org. AND KEEP AN EYE OUT ON THE GENTRIFICATION THAT IS RAPIDLY OCCURING IN DOWNTOWN NEWARK; BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, PEOPLE WILL BE PRICED OUT AND COMPLAINING. :-)

Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I never knew that section was called Forest Hill. I had several friends who lived in that neighborhood. (going back 40 years) - it's very pretty.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Yes, NY Annie, I would agree, as I have been a resident of Forest Hill for several years. Much is going on in Forest Hill; a lot of NYC transplants moving in and restoring/renovating/preserving late 19th and early 20th century homes and contributing their free time to improving the already beautiful neighborhood. Unfortunately, there aren't many people both in and out of Newark who know about Forest Hill, but that is changing, thanks, in part, to the efforts of its residents and Cory Booker's administration. THANKS FOR YOUR COMPLIMENT ON FOREST HILL.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM

I would also add that, but for its lack of a junior high school and high school, Forest Hill would be much more attractive to couples with children. Currently, the neighborhood is home to Robert Treat Academy, a "blue ribbon" charter school, as well as the Ridge Street elementary school and recently opened Park Side elementary school, both of which are viewed as good schools, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey