Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,641 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm looking for a place to buy a house that is walking distance to a train station, has places to go out, and young people in their 20's. I've basically narrowed my search down to New Brunswick based on what I can afford. Now my question is, where are the nicer areas of New Brunswick? You can give streets that are nice, etc. I have heard North of Hamilton street is nice, but I'm really not that familiar with New Brunswick.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 06:40 PM

316 posts, read 942,935 times
if you can afford it, I'd buy a nice condo or townhome near the downtown area of new brunswick - off of george st. the closer to albany st / the train station, the better. it's pricey though.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,141,153 times
The condos in downtown New Brunswick are extremely expensive. I know someone who bought a 2BR for over 550k. There is really no "good" area of New Brunswick. Personally I would not buy anything outside of the downtown area. Most of the city consists of older homes and many are used as rentals for college students. The crime rate is very high in NB.

Last edited by ansky; 11-29-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 11-29-2009, 07:17 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,225 times
You could look into south edison near the train station and just take a quick train ride into New Bruns whenever you feel like it.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:05 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7786 View Post
Hello,

I'm looking for a place to buy a house that is walking distance to a train station, has places to go out, and young people in their 20's. I've basically narrowed my search down to New Brunswick based on what I can afford. Now my question is, where are the nicer areas of New Brunswick? You can give streets that are nice, etc. I have heard North of Hamilton street is nice, but I'm really not that familiar with New Brunswick.

Thanks in advance for your help.
"Nicer" and "walking distance" are relative terms. For me, I'd look in the following areas:

Lafayette Street which fronts Buccleuch park.

Near St. Peter's University Hospital along such streets as Huntington Street and New York Avenue. Keep in mind, however, that anything east of Huntington will get you into mostly leased housing for the students attending Rutgers. And with that will come the potential for noise and the various issues that come with that.

As others have mentioned, the condos that have gone up around Neilsen, Church, Paterson, and Spring Streets are pricey. But you may want to check them out nonetheless. Keep in mind that the Gateway Center is being built currently on the southbound side of the train station and is slated for completion by 2011. It will have residential units in it. Again, they will probably be pricey.

The other area of New Brunswick that you may want to consider, even though it is not within walking distance, would be in the area known as Dewey Heights which is off Route 18 S. The entrance street is Paulus Blvd. which leads onto Taylor Drive.

Hope this helps a bit!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 PM

835 posts, read 1,179,900 times
Don't go here: New Brunswick man is shot while riding bicycle | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Old 11-30-2009, 08:21 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,072,158 times
The area around the train station isn't bad at all. Not much parking around the immediate area but it's great for night life.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:38 AM

98 posts, read 268,969 times
Stay away from Livingston Avenue and it's cross-strrets--Remsen, French, Throop, Nassau, Elizabeth, Powers Streets. Bad news.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:22 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
Stay away from Livingston Avenue and it's cross-strrets--Remsen, French, Throop, Nassau, Elizabeth, Powers Streets. Bad news.
And the sad part is that used to be the ritzy, well-heeled section of the city.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
And the sad part is that used to be the ritzy, well-heeled section of the city.
I grew up on a street adjacent to Livingston Ave. My father was a college professor and my neighbors were primarily white collar professionals/small business owners. The homes in my former neighborhood have been turned into boarding homes, Mod cut: not necessary

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-02-2009 at 06:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey