Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 08:34 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times

Advertisements

To all you NJ bashers about how bad the cities are in NJ. Camden, Newark, Patterson, etc. How about getting all your friends together who live in the burbs and start your own gentrification projects right here in NJ.
Sell all those beautiful colonials sitting on 1 acre lots and take the cash and buy a block of homes in Camden. This way you don't have to complain about your taxes supporting the ghetto instead you can be turning the ghetto into a NJ hot spot. You know just like what has been done to many areas of Manhatten.
It's easy to sit back and complain and talk about the flight out of NJ but how about doing something about it? Or you could Just
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 PM

835 posts, read 1,180,902 times
I'm waaay ahead of you come join us in Newark!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,817 times
I go to college there, I wouldn't mind living here if I had to live in the city, but I hate living in urban areas. I think the key to improving our cities is getting factories to move back to NJ and opening up shop in/near our major cities and having them well served by mass transit.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:57 AM

341 posts, read 679,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
To all you NJ bashers about how bad the cities are in NJ. Camden, Newark, Patterson, etc. How about getting all your friends together who live in the burbs and start your own gentrification projects right here in NJ.
Sell all those beautiful colonials sitting on 1 acre lots and take the cash and buy a block of homes in Camden. This way you don't have to complain about your taxes supporting the ghetto instead you can be turning the ghetto into a NJ hot spot. You know just like what has been done to many areas of Manhatten.
It's easy to sit back and complain and talk about the flight out of NJ but how about doing something about it? Or you could Just
Wait a minute. Just yesterday you advised a young white couple not to move to Plainfield because it was not a desirable place to live. They stated that they were not concerned about the school system. You told them to avoid Plainfield and move on to Piscataway. Now, on this thread you criticize people for giving the exact same advice that you did. Seems hypocritical to me.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:39 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,902 times
I dont think factories are coming back in the scale that they were in the 50's in NJ. The cost of business is to much here and a lot of the work is done overseas. Only in the midwest will you really see any real large scale manufacturing where cost of living,wages, land space is cheap. NJ is to expensive and that will never change as to many people have vested interest and have to much to lose if the cost of living, cost of land, taxes were lowered.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:08 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
Wait a minute. Just yesterday you advised a young white couple not to move to Plainfield because it was not a desirable place to live. They stated that they were not concerned about the school system. You told them to avoid Plainfield and move on to Piscataway. Now, on this thread you criticize people for giving the exact same advice that you did. Seems hypocritical to me.
Yes you are correct but I did not put Plainfield into the same group as Newark, Camden, Patterson. There are much more desirable places to live in Central NJ besides Plainfield. Lots of people like Plainfied, just not me.
How did you know the couple in question are White? Did they mention that?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:47 PM

341 posts, read 679,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Yes you are correct but I did not put Plainfield into the same group as Newark, Camden, Patterson. There are much more desirable places to live in Central NJ besides Plainfield. Lots of people like Plainfied, just not me.
How did you know the couple in question are White? Did they mention that?
And one could reply the same way to this thread: That there are much more desirable places to live than Newark and Camden.

The poster in question is white. I know this because we conversed about Plainfield through DM's. I apologize to her if she wanted to keep her race private.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,910 times
Solve the crime problems first, then gentrify. Even in NYC, a lot of formerly blighted areas weren't slated for redevelopment until the city's crime rate was under control as a whole. Additionally, as long as kids have to go to school with the children of drug addicts and criminals, no parent in their right mind is going to send their kids to public schools in any of these places.

Hoboken got gentrified because of its convenience to downtown NYC. Asbury Park might get gentrified because of its location near the ocean and the opportunity for some urban living in an otherwise totally-suburban area.

As for places like Newark, Irvington or Camden: There is nothing unique about any of these places. You could already live in a nice urban area in Hoboken and there are other local towns that are nicer with an equal commute to NYC. As for Camden, there are nice areas of Philly where one can live that aren't out of reach financially, plus the same as in North Jersey - plenty of other local communities just as convenient without the crime rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey