Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:46 PM

7 posts, read 110,483 times

Advertisements

I have been considering a move to New Brunswick. I have been reading the threads and can't seem to find people's opinion on New Brunswick. What does everyone think of New Brunswick? Would this be a good place for a young professional to commute to NYC?

Last edited by movin-on-up; 05-21-2007 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 09:35 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on-up View Post
I have been considering a move to New Brunswick. I have been reading the threads and can't seem to find people's opinion on New Brunswick. What does everyone think of New Brunswick? Would this be a good place for a young professional to commute to NYC?
you can do a lot better, the town is full of low income types and has a high crime rate, if you insist on living there do your homework and make sure the area you pick is a better one

Old 05-21-2007, 10:26 PM

Thanks for your help. Could you recommend another area that I could rent an apartment for $900 or less a month? I would also have to commute to NYC (1hr or so doesn't bother me). Is there somewhere else I could possibly look at?

Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,302,450 times
Which are you shooting for, 1 hour train ride or 1 hour door-to-door?

I, for one (maybe I'm the only one), don't think New Brunswick is a very bad place at all. Yes there are lower income people there. Yes there is a large Oaxacan immigrant population (legal status questionable at best). Yes it has had problems with crime (much better now than it used to be though). Yes there is a HUGE college student population (can be a good and bad thing). But it's affordable, it's urban, it has lots of restaurants and bars, it has theaters, it has nice parks, it has excellent train service on the Northeast Corridor Line, and there's a wide range of housing choices (from old run-down multi-family houses to well-kept houses and high-rise condos). Like any urban area you just have to select wisely. I was a grad student at Rutgers and I loved New Brunswick. It's not for everyone, though. Check it out before dismissing it.

If you prefer something more suburban or more of a cutesy boutiquey Main Street town then you should look elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:59 PM

I would say that I'm probably looking for a 1hr door-to-door. Travel in NYC won't be a problem, my job would be two blocks from Penn station and not much further from Grand Central. I think that safety is my biggest concern. Obviously you have crime every where, not matter how small the city/town. Can you recommend another area to search for rentals?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:02 AM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,297,138 times
Quote:
I would say that I'm probably looking for a 1hr door-to-door. Travel in NYC won't be a problem, my job would be two blocks from Penn station and not much further from Grand Central. I think that safety is my biggest concern. Obviously you have crime every where, not matter how small the city/town. Can you recommend another area to search for rentals?
You have nothing to be afraid of living in New Brunswick, which has brand new Rutgers Univ Student dorm bldg built and have been much safer than most people who have not been to New Brunswick for a decade...

I was there almost every week and saw all the change. I know Grace who used to own a 10,000 sq ft house in Cedar Knoll moved to New Brunswick, working at Telcordia to avoid commute. There are also many young professionals moved to New Brunswick for past years, see all the nice brand new apartment along Rt 18?

One logical question to ask is that if New Brunswick is NOT safe, why are tens of thousands Rutgers Univ students living there? studying there?

There are many people bought houses to rent to students near College Ave, and the closer to the Rutgers University campus, may be the better.

You can call up Rutgers Univ student housing office, and they will provide you a list of all rentals. You can also go to Rutgers University Housing office website to see the rental listing for yourself.

Again, do not listen to people with way outdated info about New Brunswick. As them have they lived at New Brunswick? How often did they visit New Brunswick? and When was they last visit recently before listen to them.

If college students can afford to live at New Brunswick, you, with a job, should be able to afford. If college students can live call it a safe town, you should be able to. Otherwise, you think these college students' parents are stupid?

Want more detail? In New Brusnwick around Rutgers University campus, there are 24x7 security patrol. If you think the shuttles driving around are just pure school shuttle to transport students between library and dorm, then you are totally wrong. The drivers are all security guards.

And there are dozens of nice restaurants at New Brunswick that many people eat out, and students working at waitors and waitress... You got to be there late night to see.

Also, there are lots of renovation of the city and continue to be, I was just at this wonderful brand new hotel call The Heldrich, a 4* hotel, across st of the State Playhouse the other night. Each new building, you have more security guards.

You will really have lots of fun living at New Brunswick with many young people at your age, don't forget, there are many graduate students at Rutgers Univ.

But, if you really got upset by someone did not sound knowing much updated info about New Brunswick, you can find Highland Park, across Raritan River, North to New Brunswick. As I said, the apartment there for some reason is cheap, althought the houses are expensive. The town is super safe, police seems to know everyone, it is a Jewish town, most owners, and with lots of Chinese students, mostly tenants.

One stop north is Edison Train Station area that $900 really can't find you any 1br except this nice coop called Riverview, but it is more closer to Highland Park.

Also, New Brunswick has many public parking deck and they all have security guard. Restaurants can stamp your ticket so you don't pay parking fee.

One good suggestion for you and any who would like to update their knowledge of New Brunswick. Go to priceline dott comm to bid 3* hotel at New Brunswick at $42 and you are going to be very happy to get this wonderful Hyatt Regency right across Johnson Johnson HQ that you can walk two blocks from New Brunswick Train Station.

Hyatt got one of the best pool in the area, or in the NJ hotels. I know that because I almost visit all hotels in NJ...

Then, check out the town to see how you feel. Visit Rutgers University and the town, so new so neat now. I feel it much comfortable than U Penn area that you see so much garbage.

Walk across the bridge to visit Highland Park to see how you like it. I bet you will like it. Jewish people are one of the smartest people in the world, if they pick Highland Park, there got to be a reason.

You can get off Edison station and walk around, there were so many condo and apartment can walk to Edison Train Station, but you got to compete with IT professionals working at Wall St. It is no problem for them to pay $1,300 for 1br 1ba condo, so it is hard to find $900 (exception may be during cold winter months).

So, if I were you, I would pick New Brunswick if I have only $900, I would prefer to stay with college students, graduate students or professors. If I have $1,300, then I can consider Edison Train Station.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:16 AM

34 posts, read 161,381 times
I have only a small amount of personal knowledge but anything could help, so I'll share it. In MY search, I sought a smaller city with it's own downtown around 20-30miles from NY. New brunswick is one of the 3 cities that qualifies. Other than that I know 3 other things. People say the crime is high, its some what close to the industrial areas, and I've read a report which stated New Brunswick NJ has the highest auto insurance rates anywhere in the country. If it weren't for that last sentence, I just might be moving there instead of morristown.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by human92 View Post
I have only a small amount of personal knowledge but anything could help, so I'll share it. In MY search, I sought a smaller city with it's own downtown around 20-30miles from NY. New brunswick is one of the 3 cities that qualifies. Other than that I know 3 other things. People say the crime is high, its some what close to the industrial areas, and I've read a report which stated New Brunswick NJ has the highest auto insurance rates anywhere in the country. If it weren't for that last sentence, I just might be moving there instead of morristown.
if you go across the river from New Brunswick to Highland park you'll find a small town without all the issues new brunswick has

Old 05-22-2007, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all of the comments and suggestions...keep them coming.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,953 times
Default Use your brain

Quote:
I totally agree with you. Crime is everywhere and it's up to you to insure your own personal safety. College students coping dope on Remsen or getting drunk w/ the Mexicans at the local bar...dumb. Then go home & sleep with the window open in their first floor apt. .....dumber. Unbelievable....

Just be careful. It's a big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey