Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Why New Jersey is Great~
1. Its border of the Atlantic Ocean brings joy visiting all its beaches.
2. It is close to NYC and all the glamour and Broadway Shows.
3. Its an easy ride to Philly.
4. New Jersey is a land of many wonderful lake communities.
5. Its a quick trip from the beaches to the mountains in NNJ.
6. Wonderful shopping Malls and ...
7. Great venues for Sporting Events

1. Yes, New Jersey's beaches and resort towns are key assets to the state and are really are only potential for tourism. In all honesty, people should come to NJ and enjoy places such as Ocean Grove, Cape May, and the revitalized Asbury Park, but the only tourism NJ really draws in are people from New York and Pennsylvania.

2. One of New Jersey's biggest problems: Relying on New York City, which is not in NJ, to define the state's culture

3. Another one of New Jersey's biggest problems: Relying on Philadelphia, which is not in NJ, to define the state's culture

4. Well....yes

5. Yes, absolutely. Of course, other small states, such as Delaware, Rhode Island, and even Connecticut can claim to have diverse landscapes and cultures packed into a small area.

6. Yes, of course everything is overpriced, but that is not just NJ, but the Northeast in general

7. I think that's also one of the biggest disgraces. NJ pours money and land into professional sports teams which don't even have respect enough to wear New Jersey's name on their uniforms, but instead decide to patronize NYC. An embarassment for NJ. The Giants should really be a NJ team, based in northern NJ, and the state should rally around them, which will be difficult as southern NJ is so (unjustifiably) intertwined with the culture of Philadelphia and that Eagles insanity. NYC can have the Jets and New York already has another state team in Buffalo. Three teams are ridiculous, especially when they are no longer even using that state's land (And NY is no small state)

Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
RGStater....
As far as #2 goes, and #3....When living in NJ I didn't look to those close cities to define the state of NJ's culture. It is an asset to live close to a city such as NYC. NJ's location near the city brings you to the chance to be able to visit TV stations, go to Broadway plays, attend the new and exciting events.
Proximity means a lot for ones personal enjoyment. New Jersey is just placed perfectly for heading to that NYC entertainment. Nothing like a Broadway show or Christmas at Radio City.

4. As far as questioning four.......I lived personally at Indian Lake, Lake Arrowhead, Cedar Lake and near Rock Ridge Lake. Later in life I lived by Lake Hopatcong and our daughter lived near Swartswood lake. Friends lived by Stillwater lake. I personally loved the homes in Forest Lakes.
So that is why I think NJ is a land of lakes. If one chooses to enjoy that.........we sure did.

7. YES, I always giggle when a NY teams name comes up and an out of stater thinks they play in NY...........I remember having to explain it to our Brazil guests..........Ah.......Giants stadium in NJ in the old wetlands area.....They always look amazed by the answer.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
"....which will be difficult as southern NJ is so (unjustifiably) intertwined with the culture of Philadelphia and that Eagles insanity."

HEY! It really isn't unjustified - living and growing up in SJ, Philly teams are what we see on TV, hear on the radio, and closest for us to go to games. I have great memories of going to Phillies games with my brother all through childhood as we were only 20 minutes away - going to N.Jersey would have been impossible. Besides, the Eagles have a fight song, what would I sing if I went to Giants games?

Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM

151 posts, read 132,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
1. Yes, New Jersey's beaches and resort towns are key assets to the state and are really are only potential for tourism. In all honesty, people should come to NJ and enjoy places such as Ocean Grove, Cape May, and the revitalized Asbury Park, but the only tourism NJ really draws in are people from New York and Pennsylvania.

2. One of New Jersey's biggest problems: Relying on New York City, which is not in NJ, to define the state's culture

3. Another one of New Jersey's biggest problems: Relying on Philadelphia, which is not in NJ, to define the state's culture

4. Well....yes

5. Yes, absolutely. Of course, other small states, such as Delaware, Rhode Island, and even Connecticut can claim to have diverse landscapes and cultures packed into a small area.

6. Yes, of course everything is overpriced, but that is not just NJ, but the Northeast in general

7. I think that's also one of the biggest disgraces. NJ pours money and land into professional sports teams which don't even have respect enough to wear New Jersey's name on their uniforms, but instead decide to patronize NYC. An embarassment for NJ. The Giants should really be a NJ team, based in northern NJ, and the state should rally around them, which will be difficult as southern NJ is so (unjustifiably) intertwined with the culture of Philadelphia and that Eagles insanity. NYC can have the Jets and New York already has another state team in Buffalo. Three teams are ridiculous, especially when they are no longer even using that state's land (And NY is no small state)
2/3. New Jersey doesn't rely on Philadelphia or NYC. Also, even if we did......who cares?

Many states happen to overlap each other and go into other states and their is nothing we can do about it. Other states are..........

* Chicago w/ Illinois, Indiania and Wisconsin
* DC w/ Virginia and West Virginia
* Boston w/ Rhode Island and New Hampshire
* Atlanta w/ Alabama
* Minneapolis w/ Wisconsin
* St Louis w/ Illinois
* Sacramento w/ Nevada
* Charlotte w/ South Carolina
* Cincinatti w/ Kentucky and Indiania

6. The northeast is not overpriced and neither is NJ. They have the best school sytems, crime rankings, diverse culture, poverty rankings, etc out of any region.

Have you ever heard the expression "You pay for what you get"? There is truth behind it.

Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-14-2010 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp83 View Post
2/3. New Jersey doesn't rely on Philadelphia or NYC. Also, even if we did......who cares?

Many states happen to overlap each other and go into other states and their is nothing we can do about it. Other states are..........

* Chicago w/ Illinois, Indiania and Wisconsin
* DC w/ Virginia and West Virginia
* Boston w/ Rhode Island and New Hampshire
* Atlanta w/ Alabama
* Minneapolis w/ Wisconsin
* St Louis w/ Illinois
* Sacramento w/ Nevada
* Charlotte w/ South Carolina
* Cincinatti w/ Kentucky and Indiania

6. The northeast is not overpriced and neither is NJ. They have the best school sytems, crime rankings, diverse culture, poverty rankings, etc out of any region.

Have you ever heard the expression "You pay for what you get"? There is truth behind it.

Mod cut
1. I'll try to break this down as simply as possible. Most people who travel (I myself am not included as I prefer rural areas) domestically and internationally to areas within the U.S. prefer visiting major cities. NJ's cities are all terribly rundown, crime-filled, depressed and decaying areas. No one wants to travel to Newark, Trenton, Camden, or Paterson for pleasure/leisure. Hence, NJ's culture is molested by two major out-of-state cities that tend to have a far too powerful stranglehold on the state.

2. Yes, cities can come to dominate out-of-state regions in many cases, but the difference is that most of the states you mentioned have their own vibrant cities which contribute to the state culture and pull in tourism dollars. Illinois has Chicago and Galena, Indiana has Indianapolis, Wisconsin has Milwaukee and Madison, Virginia has Richmond and Virginia Beach. West Virginia has Clarksburg. Rhode Island has Providence. New Hampshire has Portsmouth. South Carolina has Charleston. Kentucky has Lexington and Louisville. Etc.

3. Well, yes, the Northeast is the most expensive region of the country in a general sense, along with some areas of California and Hawaii, and contrary to popular opinion, not everyone loves it here and dances on rainbows.

4. Yes, schools are better in the Northeast than various other areas of the country. Not sure what you mean by "diversity". So we have Hispanic and Vietnamese immigrants and blacks in the inner cities. And? This is not interesting or exotic.

5. The crime and poverty rankings you refer to are BS, and I've heard this statistic trumpeted around before. The Northeast is supposedly so much better on crime and poverty? You have to be joking. ALL of NJ's major cities - Newark, Trenton, Camden, and Paterson are violent sinkholes in which people live in extreme poverty and cycles of drug psychosis. How many years now has Camden been voted the most dangerous city in all 50 states? Go to Irvington and tell me about the Northeast's great crime rankings. Go to the Bronx or Jamaica, Queens. Go to certain areas of east Philadelphia. Go to Baltimore, one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. Go to Waterbury or Hartford. All of Connecticut's cities are only a step above NJ's and are among the poorest in the country. I've always felt much safer in the South than anywhere in NJ/NY.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,957,266 times
I'm a transplanted Long Islander living in Northern NJ. I gotta say I love it here in NJ. I have a huge city less than a 10min bus ride away, I'm an hr away to either Mtn Creek or Camelback to go snowboarding, less than an hour away to some nice beaches, and some really nice hiking areas in places I can go to without having to see or hear cars around.

We have our share of issues too but I love Jersey overall...all 3 and a half years Ive spent here.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:05 PM

36 posts, read 348,199 times
I am please to break down your examples below in RED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp83 View Post
I recently joined this site and am already sick of the negative stuff that people say about New Jersey. HERE IS WHY

The number one complaint is that the taxes and overall cost of living is high. Well, let me tell you why the current cost of liviing is high. It is high because... IT IS HIGH. My father in law lives in Ambler PA, in a much larger home and on a golf course and pays around $5300 in property tax. I live in South Jersey (15 mins from Philly) in a 2400 sq.ft house, and pays $11k in property tax. WHY? So I could go to the place below?.....??

1. You are a quick stop away from New York City, which is the most powerful city in the world. You are a quick stop away, which is why you will be paying between $8~12 of tolls each time you go to N.Y. NYC is not a POWERFUL city, rofl... It is conv. to get there, but to really benefit living in North Jersey and paying high taxes is to WORK in NYC.

2. You are a quick stop away from Philadelphia, which is one of the biggest cities in the United States and is packed with history and amenities. It has nothing to do with Philadelphia. Living in South Jersey and can drive to Philly in less than 30 mins does not mean you need to pay a ridiculous amount of property taxes. The reason for such high property tax is the same as why the North East still has yet eliminate the TOLL FEES. (why get rid of the cash cow when you can benefit from it?)

3. You are a quick stop away from Atlantic City, which offers tons of entertainment from nightlife, gambling, concerts, comedian acts, etc.
What if you never go to Atlantic City? There are many of us who does not care for AC. NJ is surrounded by TOLLS... if you want to visit AC. You will be paying tolls 2~3 times....

4. The whole state is COVERED with beaches.
Have you seen how dirty some of the beaches are?

I don't think that people understand how amenities equal $$$. You can't have all of the amenities in the world at your fingertips and have the cost of living that is equal to some small town in Alabama.

And let's not forget that NJ finishes at the very top for salaries per state, which offset most of the expensive cost of living if not all of it. Plus, NJ is tops year after year for education, crime and poverty rates.

If you are not into paying for amenities and entertainment then NJ is not the place for you.
NJ does have high paying salary, but it also has high standard of living. Eagles single game tickets at 200 levels cost about $85/seat for season ticket owners, without it, you'd be paying about $150~200. Now, you go to Green Bay, down at the 100 level, you pay about $165. 100 level at the linc is about $395....
I live in NJ because it's conv. but that doesn't mean I enjoy paying 11k in taxes and have to read that the state is bankrupted due to corruption. If I can move to PA.. would I? WHY NOT?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaypackersfan View Post
I am please to break down your examples below in RED.

NJ does have high paying salary, but it also has high standard of living. Eagles single game tickets at 200 levels cost about $85/seat for season ticket owners, without it, you'd be paying about $150~200. Now, you go to Green Bay, down at the 100 level, you pay about $165. 100 level at the linc is about $395....
I live in NJ because it's conv. but that doesn't mean I enjoy paying 11k in taxes and have to read that the state is bankrupted due to corruption. If I can move to PA.. would I? WHY NOT?
why can't you move to PA? you could move over the border and still work in your same job, right?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:48 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why can't you move to PA? you could move over the border and still work in your same job, right?
that's a great question

Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
The number one complaint is that the taxes and overall cost of living is high. Well, let me tell you why the current cost of liviing is high. It is high because... IT IS HIGH.
Prices are never sustainably high simply "because... IT IS HIGH". The reason prices are high over a period of time is because people will pay that price. Always. If not, the people stop paying the price (demand shrinks) and whoever is charging the price either must lower price (due to oversupply) OR go out of business.

It's high because people continue to choose to pay it.

Quote:
My father in law lives in Ambler PA, in a much larger home and on a golf course and pays around $5300 in property tax. I live in South Jersey (15 mins from Philly) in a 2400 sq.ft house, and pays $11k in property tax. WHY? So I could go to the place below?.....??
I don't know why, only you know the reason for why you choose to pay for the things you choose to pay for. Why would anyone else know?

Quote:
1. You are a quick stop away from New York City, which is the most powerful city in the world. You are a quick stop away, which is why you will be paying between $8~12 of tolls each time you go to N.Y. NYC is not a POWERFUL city, rofl... It is conv. to get there, but to really benefit living in North Jersey and paying high taxes is to WORK in NYC.
Actually, it's only about 5 bucks to take the bus in and out of Manhattan from NJ. Driving's a bad option for NY, even without the tolls, because of parking. And yes, NYC is a rather powerful city. It's the de facto "Capital of the World".

[quote=greenbaypackersfan;12446952]It has nothing to do with Philadelphia. Living in South Jersey and can drive to Philly in less than 30 mins does not mean you need to pay a ridiculous amount of property taxes. The reason for such high property tax is the same as why the North East still has yet eliminate the TOLL FEES. (why get rid of the cash cow when you can benefit from it?)

I have a friend who lives in Mullica Hill and pays half what you do in taxes, and he has a several-acre horse farm/ranch. He bought it for less than a home in Marlton, also.

Quote:
What if you never go to Atlantic City? There are many of us who does not care for AC. NJ is surrounded by TOLLS... if you want to visit AC. You will be paying tolls 2~3 times....
If you don't like AC, or the shore, then that's a benefit of NJ that you pay for which does you no good. It's like buying a car with a sunroof even if you hate having a sunroof and it is costing you more.

Quote:
Have you seen how dirty some of the beaches are?
Have you seen how clean the NJ beaches are? Whenever a discussion goes down that road towards calling NJ's beaches "dirty" then I know it's getting into pure Jersey-bashing territory, because our beaches happen to be very clean, especially for the last couple of decades.

Quote:
I live in NJ because it's conv. but that doesn't mean I enjoy paying 11k in taxes and have to read that the state is bankrupted due to corruption.
Ah, there it is. You choose to pay 11k to " live in NJ because it's conv." That's the reason. It doesn't matter what the reason is, the point is you find a reason worth paying 11k in taxes for, and in your case that reason happens to be 11k. For someone else, it might be worth it to be close to Philly, or NY, or AC, or all of them. For someone else, could be schools. It doesn't matter; if people feel there's a reason to pay 11k or whatever they pay in taxes, then they pay it.

I bet Green Bay isn't very convenient at all.

Quote:
If I can move to PA.. would I? WHY NOT?
I'm not sure - why not? I can't answer for you. But if I had to answer for you, I'd guess it's because PA isn't "conv."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey