Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times

Advertisements

watch out shawm, around here people will say you dont deserve 84k to deal with their misbehaved children all day long not to mention in june with no air conditioning when none of them want to pay attention.

however i agree with you about tenure.......

tenured teachers will tell you its in the children's interest... so they can stop worrying about getting laid off and worry about teaching the children.....right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 05:07 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a high school science teacher and I have been for 5 years. I have a masters degree in my field which I earned at a university and not online. I work at one of the public elites and am a great teacher. I go above and beyond every single day. I work summers unpaid to help my students study for SAT II's, do individual research projects (I got one of my students pubished in a scientific research journal) or go on academic team competitions. I spend 2-3 non-contract hours a day setting up labs, grading papers or planning lessons.

I am also not going to be a teacher much longer. The state of NJ finances is surely disastrous but I have done nothing to cause that yet I am demonized in the press literally daily. I am highly educated, I work incredibly hard and I will be going back to work in the private sector where I will make more money and do less work; I know this because I worked in my field for 5 years before I turned to teaching. I will miss my students, I will miss helping them achieve more than they thought they could but I will not miss being thought of as some sort of lazy, money grubbing cancer. I am also not alone. There are three other teachers in my school with less than 10 years in who will be leaving as well. All hard working but frustrated people. Good luck finding people who care about our children and their success when you vilify them constantly.
Unfortunately with this economy you won't have many people feeling sorry that you can't take the heat in the kitchen. We are everybodies punching bags now. I can hack it and I don't really care what people think. I know many people will take a teaching position. Me personally I think it's kinda silly to quit a job because people don't like your pay and bennies.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a high school science teacher and I have been for 5 years. I have a masters degree in my field which I earned at a university and not online. I work at one of the public elites and am a great teacher. I go above and beyond every single day. I work summers unpaid to help my students study for SAT II's, do individual research projects (I got one of my students pubished in a scientific research journal) or go on academic team competitions. I spend 2-3 non-contract hours a day setting up labs, grading papers or planning lessons.

I am also not going to be a teacher much longer. The state of NJ finances is surely disastrous but I have done nothing to cause that yet I am demonized in the press literally daily. I am highly educated, I work incredibly hard and I will be going back to work in the private sector where I will make more money and do less work; I know this because I worked in my field for 5 years before I turned to teaching. I will miss my students, I will miss helping them achieve more than they thought they could but I will not miss being thought of as some sort of lazy, money grubbing cancer. I am also not alone. There are three other teachers in my school with less than 10 years in who will be leaving as well. All hard working but frustrated people. Good luck finding people who care about our children and their success when you vilify them constantly.

If you ditched the Union the science and math teachers would get paid more, because the private sector would pay you more.

Where the hell is the liberal arts, music, phys ed, hell even history major going to pull in 60 plus thousand, in the private sector?

Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
If you ditched the Union the science and math teachers would get paid more, because the private sector would pay you more.

Where the hell is the liberal arts, music, phys ed, hell even history major going to pull in 60 plus thousand, in the private sector?
Where did I complain about my pay? I have never complained about what I make because I got into teaching KNOWING that it was low pay and good benefits. The reason I am leaving is not because of the pay but because of the lack of respect. It may seem silly to some people but I am willing to work as hard as I do for low pay but not for low pay and public contempt.

I do realize I will make more money in the private sector but I have resisted the active recruiting many research and science firms do for people with my degrees since until recently I have found the intangible rewards to more than make up for any lack in monetary rewards.

The irony is its the kids who lose out when the teachers get frustrated and leave. And make no mistake we are not leaving due to the lack of money since everyone knows what the pay is going to be like.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,935,675 times
Enough. You will have to agree not to agree. The topic is municipal worker salaries. Off topic posts will be deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey