Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 45,408 times

Advertisements

How does it work if I need coverage for myself and my baby? I currently don't have coverage...my husband is self employeed and we didn't have it b/c of the high expense. I know there are income levels but does it just go by mine if only I'm applying for me and the baby or by the household income? Even so our household income qulifies us but it would only cover the baby.

I know at certain levels it doesn't cover the parents but when would it cover the baby? Do I have to wait till his birth or can I apply now to cover him.

Any info would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:52 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken781 View Post
How does it work if I need coverage for myself and my baby? I currently don't have coverage...my husband is self employeed and we didn't have it b/c of the high expense. I know there are income levels but does it just go by mine if only I'm applying for me and the baby or by the household income? Even so our household income qulifies us but it would only cover the baby.

I know at certain levels it doesn't cover the parents but when would it cover the baby? Do I have to wait till his birth or can I apply now to cover him.

Any info would be appreciated

Your married, so it will go by both your income. Don't try to circumvent the system, it will only come back to bite you in the end.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:11 PM

2 posts, read 45,408 times
Default thanks

I wasn't planning on doing that but I wanted to check as too how it worked. As far as coverage for an unborn child, how does that work as far as when do I apply?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken781 View Post
I wasn't planning on doing that but I wanted to check as too how it worked. As far as coverage for an unborn child, how does that work as far as when do I apply?

You can apply now. Make sure you have all of your documentation. Depending on your husbands income, you may have a co-payment, but something is better than nothing.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 PM

22 posts, read 112,072 times
From my own experience - NJ FamilyCare does NOT cover pregnant woman - once they got your application, they will transfer your case to the social service of your county to see if you qualify for Medicaid. That delays your application. (And then if you are not qualified for Medicaid, they will transfer your case back to NJ FamilyCare, which you are not qualified since you are pregnant...etc.) I suggest you directly apply for Medicaid in your county's social service office (if I were you that's what I would do). You can call the Social Service, ask them what documents they need (e.g. copies of birth certificate of you and your husband, social security cards...etc. they need a lot of stuff). They will also need proof of pregnancy, e.g. a prescription written by your OB saying that you are pregnant. Then go down to the social service office and submit your application in person.
While you are waiting for an answer, you will hear from both the social service and NJ FamilyCare - I know it's confusing (it's confusing to me too). But what you will have is what they call "straight Medicaid". Know that MANY doctors do not take straight Medicaid or NJ FamilyCare. After you are approved for Medicaid, they will enroll you for NJ FamilyCare. If you have some doctors, or places you like to do ultrasound, call them ahead and ask them if they would take it. There are several HMO companies you can choose within NJ FamilyCare. But NOT all of them would be accepted by doctors. For example, the ultrasound place told me that HealthNet is the only NJ FamilyCare plan they accept - although they accept regular BlueCross BlueShield, they don't accept the NJ FamilyCare's BCBS.
Those OB office in hospital is extremely crowded and busy. Also NJ FamilyCare's doctor choice is very limited. And the application process added a lot of stress to me during my pregnancy. But begger cannot be chooser. I was thankful to have that during my difficult time (thank Corzine).

For private insurance that covers pregnancy, the cheapest option is the BCBS EPO Plus, you can find details of it on ehealthinsurance.com. Although it's a guarantee acceptance plan, you must have prior continuous coverage, or else they don't cover pre-existing condition (which is your pregnancy). However if it were a group plan (e.g. offered by employer), pregnancy will not be classified as pre-existing condition as per federal regulation. (Source: Pregnancy complicates health insurance options )

Both PA and NY government plan has higher income limit for pregnant women. Bergen County also has higher income limit than the rest of NJ. If you are not qualified for Medicaid here, you may want to: 1. have your husband get a job (perhaps Starbucks?) or 2. going across the river. Good luck!

Last edited by frugalmom; 02-03-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,571 times
Just saw that they made it harder for parents to get coverage too. I could get coverage for my children but with my husbands salary we (the parents) don't qualify. They changed it as of March 2010. Once again the system was probably being abused and now everyone must pay the price. My girlfriends friend was self employed, no mortgage, vacation home in Florida and qualified for a low income because he could make the numbers work for him and his family. I believe a family of 6 must make under $40,000 a year to have the parents qualify now, use to be $60,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey