Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times

Advertisements

Of course I am partial to Hoboken but if you are looking for something more sunurban Rutherford has very nice older homes that have a view of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyrulz View Post
hi all. Would love to find a home in NNJ with views of the manhattan skyline from deck, backyard etc. Was thinking Montclair? perhaps. Any ideas appreciated. Kind of like the 'hollywood hills" vibe you see on LA sitcoms. Must have similar setup somewhere in NJ???Budget up to $1mm if needed. Closer to NY the better. ANy thoughts???
forget those boring suburbs in the middle of nowhere, or hoboken.

checkout crystalpointcondos.com in downtown jc, you will have some leverage negotiating with the sales office with a 7 figure budget, can probably get a 3br direct view. there is no better location, building or view than that.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
If you want a more urban feel and a great skyline view, nothing beats Hoboken. I dont care how nice the building is, when you walk out the front door, Hoboken is the best place to be.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
If you want a more urban feel and a great skyline view, nothing beats Hoboken. I dont care how nice the building is, when you walk out the front door, Hoboken is the best place to be.
oh please, unless all you care about are bars and drunk frat boys. I always hated driving through hoboken, absolutely worse narrow streets with cars packed to the hill on both sides, no parking anywhere, old buildings, all they have are small stores. If you want an old small town feel then hoboken is fine. By comparison newport/exchange place is modern with wide streets/highrises, shopping mall next door,all the dept stores / supermarkets, and path/lightrail. There is little comparison.

I guess it all comes down to go walk around in both areas.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
oh please, unless all you care about are bars and drunk frat boys. I always hated driving through hoboken, absolutely worse narrow streets with cars packed to the hill on both sides, no parking anywhere, old buildings, all they have are small stores. If you want an old small town feel then hoboken is fine. By comparison newport/exchange place is modern with wide streets/highrises, shopping mall next door,all the dept stores / supermarkets, and path/lightrail. There is little comparison.

I guess it all comes down to go walk around in both areas.
Hmm. It's rare to see this point of view.

A shopping mall, and not even a nice one IMHO, over a nice "main street"?
Wide busy streets over small one way streets?
Big megastores over quaint small shops?

I tend to think you are in the minority, but as you said, a walk through both places will clear things up pretty fast.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:06 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,733 times
I think Hoboken and Downtown JC are both very nice areas. Hoboken kind of does have a more party atmosphere to it, and does have very narrow streets, and older buildings, but that all adds to its unique feel. Then when you add in the nice little small shops and a park with amazing views of nyc you go beyond extra ordinary. Then you have Downtown JC which has some streets that look a lot like hoboken, but then also have areas with a lot of high rise condos, big streets(like mentioned above) and more of a middle of a city feel to it, while Hoboken is more like village sections of major cities. JC is a little more calm tho. It has what appears to be more of a mature vibe if that is what someone is looking for. They both have great transportation, but Hoboken is slightly more convenient. There really shouldn't be an argument about the two since the are both extremely nice areas and are connected by a short path ride they feel like they are almost the same city. To the op if you do decide to go with a more urban place these two should be high on your list. I would love to live in either, but unfortunately I'm priced out of both of them.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 26,175 times
much of hoboken is frat boy and wall street central. if you are looking that vibe, then you will be at home. otherwise, very little to recommend it, except the views of manhattan and the proximity to the city.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,665,760 times
Everyone talking about condos didn't read the original post. There are tons of towns with views of NYC Skyline and obviously the towns on and close to the Hudson have the best but what the poster is looking for is a "Hollywood Hills" type of environment. This means a good sized single family home, in a suburban setting, on the side of a....wait for it...wait for it....HILL. Most of these towns have been covered by other posters so I won't repeat them but one that has not been mentioned is the Heights section of Hawthorne off Goffle Hill Road. Great views and great prices. Great elementary school but Middle and High Schools not so much. Definitely worth a look since you will get much more for your money there than in other tonier areas.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:21 PM

512 posts, read 1,754,780 times
For what it's worth, there are apartments in Morris Plains atop a massive hill that have a view of NJ all the way to the NYC skyline, quite a nice site. I don't think these apartments are affordable, though.

There's also a view atop the Tourne in Boonton, but the view depends on the weather, because it is getting a little far out. Then, there's a view elsewhere in Parsippany near route ten, I remember seeing the skyline for a brief minute when driving east bound, but can't pinpoint where exactly.

Still, nothing is as nice as along the Hudson.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,739 times
Verona has an AMAZING view from Eagle Rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey