Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:19 PM

681 posts, read 1,513,271 times

Advertisements

If you are looking for upscale in terms of an apartment type setting, then you should see if anyone in The Lumberyard is subletteing (Collingswood). They are brand new, close to Philly and not far from the highway that will take you to Vineland. Very upscale and in the heart of the downtown. They have just been taken over by Main Street Realty and I think the buyers incentives have gotten pretty attractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 10:01 AM

467 posts, read 1,190,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
If you are looking for upscale in terms of an apartment type setting, then you should see if anyone in The Lumberyard is subletteing (Collingswood). They are brand new, close to Philly and not far from the highway that will take you to Vineland. Very upscale and in the heart of the downtown. They have just been taken over by Main Street Realty and I think the buyers incentives have gotten pretty attractive.
Wow! This is a great recommendation. I checked it out on this web site master The have a little animated movie about the place which is pretty cool.

Thanks for the great tip. I will have the Realtor set up a meeting. The company that she will be working for, is flying us out there for two months to locate a place.

Next question....
Seafood restaurants? Not the high end ones. The ones that throw it on the table and you hit it with a mallet type place...LOL?

Thanks
Head coach

Old 03-26-2010, 11:05 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head coach View Post
Wow! This is a great recommendation. I checked it out on this web site master The have a little animated movie about the place which is pretty cool.

Thanks for the great tip. I will have the Realtor set up a meeting. The company that she will be working for, is flying us out there for two months to locate a place.

Next question....
Seafood restaurants? Not the high end ones. The ones that throw it on the table and you hit it with a mallet type place...LOL?

Thanks
Head coach
The only knock I would have on the Lumberyard is that you better get used to hearing the Speedline 24/7. The Speedline is the light rail that runs from Center City Philadelphia through Camden, Collingswood, Westmont...all the way out to Lindenwold. It runs pretty much all day and night, though definitely less frequent at night, maybe every 30 minutes to an hour instead of every 10-15 minutes like at rush hour. The tracks are elevated and bisect Collingswood along Atlantic Ave. If you are in the second floor of the Lumberyard (the more desirable units) you will literally be face-to-face with people on the train when you look out your window. This has been a big reason why sales there have been sluggish (coupled with the economy) and many units are sitting empty.

I grew up in Collingswood and my parents use to manage the Wayne Gardens Apartments in the early '80's and we lived in one of the 2nd floor units that is roughly the same distance from the tracks that the Lumberyard is. The main difference is that we had trees between us and the tracks, unlike the Lumberyard. I still remember the sound of that train going by all the time, but you do get used to it.

Also, if you have kids and are looking for upscale to include them, not just you and your wife, Collingswood really might not be the place for you. Like I said in my other post, the town has come a long way, but no one in the area would refer to it as "upscale" unless they are talking about the downtown. The "upscaleness" fades pretty quick when you turn off the main drag Haddon Ave.

If it is just you and your wife and you don't mind the train, Collingswood and the Lumberyard could be a good pick.

PS As for seafood restraunts, there aren't many of the mallet beating places around here, that is more of a Maryland thing. However, there are a few down the shore and most places (especially Italian restraunts) tend to have good seafood in the area. One place that I can think of that would come closest would be Cap N' Cats Clam Bar. It's a privately owned chain with a few locations, but they offer the fresh cooked seafood in the crappy dining room setting. My wife and I get take out from there at least once a month and have eaten in their restraunt a couple times. The closest one is in Voorhees. It's not the best, but it's not the worst either.

Last edited by NJGOAT; 03-26-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 PM

Yah..Collingswood has the upscale eateries for seafood (Joe Pesce) but the area is too inland to get the mallot type seashore places for fresh fish. DiNardos in Philly or Chikie & Pete's, (which you will discover when you get here!) may be your closest "messy" seafood place.
The noise factor could be a problem but there are units futher away from the train. I know they are REALLY open to negotiating prices now, too. MIGHT even be a 5 year prop tax abatement, look into it!

Old 03-26-2010, 12:49 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,137 times
It's not light rail it's rapid transit there's a big difference in noise and the size of the train.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:28 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
It's not light rail it's rapid transit there's a big difference in noise and the size of the train.
Well, excuse the lack of definition. Either way you categorize it you can hear the damn thing from 5 blocks away if you stand outside. I spent several of my early childhood years sleeping ~100 feet from the tracks and you can definitely hear it loud and clear. They also run regular NJT diesel engines down the parallel line for the AC spur on occasion.

Either way you cut it, $300k+ - $400k+ for a 1,150sq.ft. - 1,500sq.ft. condo built right next to a "high speed transit" line is crazy. Those condos cost more than most houses in Collingswood, not to mention that you can get yourself a pretty decent house in an actual "upscale" town for the same amount of money.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:38 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Well, excuse the lack of definition. Either way you categorize it you can hear the damn thing from 5 blocks away if you stand outside. I spent several of my early childhood years sleeping ~100 feet from the tracks and you can definitely hear it loud and clear. They also run regular NJT diesel engines down the parallel line for the AC spur on occasion.

Either way you cut it, $300k+ - $400k+ for a 1,150sq.ft. - 1,500sq.ft. condo built right next to a "high speed transit" line is crazy. Those condos cost more than most houses in Collingswood, not to mention that you can get yourself a pretty decent house in an actual "upscale" town for the same amount of money.
I'm not disagree with you, I'm just pointing out the difference because Light Rail is definitely quieter, and the A.C. line trains run everyday, they're putting a new station for it in Woodcrest, although I think the ACL doesn't run by where the Speedline passes the apartment complex mentioned.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:43 AM

All you say has truth, NJGOAT but thats's why it's a buyers market in The Lumberyard. Main Street Realty will market and sell them better than their in-house company who refused to advertise out. They never even staged a finished unit until last Spring. Done correctly, the Lumberyard will eventually turn profit. That also means the town needs to get off it's archaic horse and start wooing established retail in the stores (Trader Joe's, Cosi, etc..) Matchchbox car stores, nail spas and piling restaurants is starting to get old. Collingswood could be a destination but thinking outside the box is needed. The new parking garage units will be futher from the PATCO. The point you make are great points to keep dropping the prices. Realisticly, they would sell more in the high 200K's that tring to shoot for the high 300k's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey