Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times

Advertisements

The only other areas I would suggest looking into would be Mullica Hill and Woolwich Twp. areas. They are further south then the main suburbs, but offer some nice advantages. The school system is good, taxes can be reasonable depending on where you live. There is a large selection of housing and a lot of newer developments. A lot of money has moved into the area from PA, however, while the residents are "upscale" you will be taking a drive to find "upscale" shopping/dining/entertainment.

The big advantage that I can see for the OP, is it puts he and his wife in a fantastic position for commuting. The OP can get to Vineland very easily from these areas using 322/40/55, or even taking some of the backroads. You will avoid virtually all traffic nightmares. For the wife, she can go right over the Commodore Barry and pick up 95 south of the city, which is a much easier commute than taking 295/42/76 and crossing at the main bridges.

Just another option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 07:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The only other areas I would suggest looking into would be Mullica Hill and Woolwich Twp. areas. They are further south then the main suburbs, but offer some nice advantages. The school system is good, taxes can be reasonable depending on where you live. There is a large selection of housing and a lot of newer developments. A lot of money has moved into the area from PA, however, while the residents are "upscale" you will be taking a drive to find "upscale" shopping/dining/entertainment.

The big advantage that I can see for the OP, is it puts he and his wife in a fantastic position for commuting. The OP can get to Vineland very easily from these areas using 322/40/55, or even taking some of the backroads. You will avoid virtually all traffic nightmares. For the wife, she can go right over the Commodore Barry and pick up 95 south of the city, which is a much easier commute than taking 295/42/76 and crossing at the main bridges.

Just another option.
I like Mullica Hill a lot, & I use the Commodore Barry to come & go from South Jersey for many purposes, but do you know where Trevose is? Are you aware of the tie-ups on 95 during the rush hours, between Philly & Wilmington?

Short of antique shops, the nearest shopping would be Pitman & Glassboro (my sister still lives in South Jersey, in Pitman) & they go to Deptford & the Cherry Hill area for a lot of their shopping. Granted, there's been an influx of stores to Pitman & Glassboro, but not enough to cover everything.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I like Mullica Hill a lot, & I use the Commodore Barry to come & go from South Jersey for many purposes, but do you know where Trevose is? Are you aware of the tie-ups on 95 during the rush hours, between Philly & Wilmington?

Short of antique shops, the nearest shopping would be Pitman & Glassboro (my sister still lives in South Jersey, in Pitman) & they go to Deptford & the Cherry Hill area for a lot of their shopping. Granted, there's been an influx of stores to Pitman & Glassboro, but not enough to cover everything.
Ah, I missed the Trevose part. Scratch what I said, your wife will kill you after a couple days doing that commute. Getting into Philly or the western burbs isn't so much of an issue from the areas I mentioned, but NE would be horrendous.

That really is a tough commute to split. I would defer to moving in bias of your wifes commute, as when you are going to Vineland, you are at least going opposite of the predominant traffic. I would definitely recommend sticking to Bulrington County as it puts you in a better position to use the Turnpike bridge or the Burlington-Bristol Bridge to get over to Trevose.

With that said, the more "upscale" towns in Burlington are Moorestown, Marlton, Mount Laurel and Medford. Of all of them Moorestown and Mount Laurel would give you easier access to 295 for wife to get to the bridges to head to Trevose.

The only consolation that I can give you is that I used to live in Collingswood and commute to Vineland daily (near downtown close to where Landis and Delsea intersect). It took me on average 45 minutes from Collingswood. A co-worker lived in Columbus, which is about 15 minutes north on 295 from the communities I mentioned and it took him about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to work. Of course that was before they turned 295 south of exit 30 into a complete train wreck.

It seems like from a commute standpoint, you can make your wifes a lot better and still get the area you are looking for, but yours is going to take a while no matter how you dice it.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Ah, I missed the Trevose part. Scratch what I said, your wife will kill you after a couple days doing that commute. Getting into Philly or the western burbs isn't so much of an issue from the areas I mentioned, but NE would be horrendous.

That really is a tough commute to split. I would defer to moving in bias of your wifes commute, as when you are going to Vineland, you are at least going opposite of the predominant traffic. I would definitely recommend sticking to Bulrington County as it puts you in a better position to use the Turnpike bridge or the Burlington-Bristol Bridge to get over to Trevose.

With that said, the more "upscale" towns in Burlington are Moorestown, Marlton, Mount Laurel and Medford. Of all of them Moorestown and Mount Laurel would give you easier access to 295 for wife to get to the bridges to head to Trevose.

The only consolation that I can give you is that I used to live in Collingswood and commute to Vineland daily (near downtown close to where Landis and Delsea intersect). It took me on average 45 minutes from Collingswood. A co-worker lived in Columbus, which is about 15 minutes north on 295 from the communities I mentioned and it took him about 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to work. Of course that was before they turned 295 south of exit 30 into a complete train wreck.

It seems like from a commute standpoint, you can make your wifes a lot better and still get the area you are looking for, but yours is going to take a while no matter how you dice it.
From the standpoint of upscale, & if the OP cares a whit about schools, I'd vote for Moorestown, hands down, since they have a good school system plus the presence of Moorestown Friends.

If they don't mind colonial architecture & a liberal sprinkling of Victorian, I'd say Haddonfield or Moorestown. If they prefer newer housing, I'd say Cherry Hill, Voorhees, or the newer sections of Mt. Laurel. The OP had pin-pointed Ramblewood, which is a development in Mt Laurel, & is quite close to 295, but it's situated off 73 which can become a giant parking lot on Fridays with peak shore traffic.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:11 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,830,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
From the standpoint of upscale, & if the OP cares a whit about schools, I'd vote for Moorestown, hands down, since they have a good school system plus the presence of Moorestown Friends.

If they don't mind colonial architecture & a liberal sprinkling of Victorian, I'd say Haddonfield or Moorestown. If they prefer newer housing, I'd say Cherry Hill, Voorhees, or the newer sections of Mt. Laurel. The OP had pin-pointed Ramblewood, which is a development in Mt Laurel, & is quite close to 295, but it's situated off 73 which can become a giant parking lot on Fridays with peak shore traffic.
Agreed. If looking for a big home in a more rural type setting he could move to the rt 206 corridor btwn vineland and trevose - take the turnpike bridge.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,513,271 times
I agree that Moorestown is more "upscale" that Collingswood but you can find very "upscale" homes in the area (The Lumberyard Condos for example are under construction). Moorestown will be easier for your wife but longer for you. My opinion is that you stay closer to the highways by the river. You are probably more geared for Haddonfield. Just understand that the property taxes you will encounter in "upscale NJ" may blow your mind. The average property taxes in the aforementioned places are 10K or more.When you see what they will be compared to where you come from, you may lower your idea of upscale.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM

691 posts, read 3,062,098 times
I commute to both Vineland and Trevose on a regular basis. I currently live in Mount Laurel. It takes roughly 50min to get to Vineland in both the AM and PM rush. You are going against the traffic - it is a pretty easy drive. Getting to Trevose takes about 35min during the AM rush and 45min the PM rush.

I'd recommend looking at towns along the 295 corridor - Moorestown, Mt Laurel, Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Haddonfield, and Haddon Heights I would recommend. Try to stay north of the 295/42 interchange or the commute to Trevose will be unbearable.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
I agree that Moorestown is more "upscale" that Collingswood but you can find very "upscale" homes in the area (The Lumberyard Condos for example are under construction). Moorestown will be easier for your wife but longer for you. My opinion is that you stay closer to the highways by the river. You are probably more geared for Haddonfield. Just understand that the property taxes you will encounter in "upscale NJ" may blow your mind. The average property taxes in the aforementioned places are 10K or more.When you see what they will be compared to where you come from, you may lower your idea of upscale.
Not to start a town war, but I have to argue the "upscale" Collingswood comment. I was born and raised there. My parents still live there. It's a decent town whose reputation has exceeded itself. Just about the only thing "upscale" with Collingswood is the downtown, which has certainly changed a lot for the better over the years.

For the most part the houses are older and smaller and the population tends to still be really mixed socio-economically. When people say "upscale", Collingswood isn't what comes to mind. If they ask where's a cool place to go to dinner and stroll main street, then Collingswood hands down.

It's a town that has a wonderful veneer, but it's really just particle board underneath. The school system is average at best. The elementary schools are generally good, but the high school and middle school have a lot of issues. The town has come a long way, but it's not there yet. I compare it to a neighborhood in Philly that is gentrifying. There are some nice stores and restraunts. The yuppies are buying and fixing up houses, but it still could go either way.

I only say this because so many people associate Collingswood with the media and marketing image the town has and never take time to actually see what's really going on. Young couple looking for an affordable place to live with easy access to the city, Collingswood all the way. Established family with kids looking for upscale...that's just not Collingswood. Maybe, one day, but not today.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM

604 posts, read 2,012,092 times
Head Coach, do you like to think out of the box? ..... Have you considered living in Northern Delaware ..... your - vineland commute may be longer but living in DE may make financal sense. Ask questions, if u are interested? .... e.g. Close to Philly without philly associated problems, upscale living

Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,351,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Look at Haddenfield and Cherry Hill and marlton. In that order.
I would agree with this list exactly, maybe throw Moorestown and Mt. Laurel onto the end of it, although those two and maybe Marlton could be a pretty long commute to Vineland (although without much traffic). Haddonfield and Cherry Hill probably split up the commute the best and both fit the "upper crust" distinction, although as others mentioned Haddonfield is probably different from Arizona (although I've never been to Arizona so I wouldn't know).

Last edited by GoPhils; 03-19-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey