Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:40 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,923 times

Advertisements

Either that or you guys are living in a different world than I am.

But honestly though, a lot of you guys seem to talk a lot about things that you obviously don't know about. I read this one thread about the NJEA and there's people who haven't been in school since the 70s or 80s obviously or must send their kids to a private school or somewhere really really nice talking about teachers driving expensive cars and etc. They talk about how the public school system is failing and a whole bunch of things they honestly don't know about. They talk about how the teachers have nice salaries, I remember about 7 years ago in high school, there were teachers protesting outside my high school because they weren't getting paid squat and were losing benefits. Some of them were given the axe while others moved out of state because they weren't getting treated right. I also remember hearing people talk about NJ Transit like it's the best in the country when they obviously never took the bus or the train a day in their life. They obviously are riding around in their nice, plushy car once again talking about issues they don't know about. Then you have these guys talking about towns they never been in trying to give advice on something they don't know.

You know... seeing things first hand from school to Jersey Transit to some neighborhoods that you guys talk about how ignorant and uneducated a lot of you seem. You guys love to talk about a bunch of issues that doesn't concern you because you're basically isolated away from it. It's like we're living in two different worlds. You guys are living in some part of Jersey I never heard of. Like do you guys actually live here and actually go outside and see the things happening in your state or do you just watch the news and just formulate opinions and pass them off as facts.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in an open forum is a violation of TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:44 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
But honestly though, a lot of you guys seem to talk a lot about things that you obviously don't know about. I read this one thread about the NJEA and there's people who haven't been in school since the 70s or 80s obviously or must send their kids to a private school or somewhere really really nice talking about teachers driving expensive cars and etc. They talk about how the public school system is failing and a whole bunch of things they honestly don't know about. They talk about how the teachers have nice salaries, I remember about 7 years ago in high school, there were teachers protesting outside my high school because they weren't getting paid squat and were losing benefits. Some of them were given the axe while others moved out of state because they weren't getting treated right. I also remember hearing people talk about NJ Transit like it's the best in the country when they obviously never took the bus or the train a day in their life. They obviously are riding around in their nice, plushy car once again talking about issues they don't know about. Then you have these guys talking about towns they never been in trying to give advice on something they don't know.

You know... seeing things first hand from school to Jersey Transit to some neighborhoods that you guys talk about how ignorant and uneducated a lot of you seem. You guys love to talk about a bunch of issues that doesn't concern you because you're basically isolated away from it. It's like we're living in two different worlds. You guys are living in some part of Jersey I never heard of. Like do you guys actually live here and actually go outside and see the things happening in your state or do you just watch the news and just formulate opinions and pass them off as facts.
Why not, instead of throwing areound a bunch of general criticisms & negativity, take part in the discussions and offer up your own point of view, which may over ride those from people who don't know what we're talking about.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 07:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Why not, instead of throwing areound a bunch of general criticisms & negativity, take part in the discussions and offer up your own point of view, which may over ride those from people who don't know what we're talking about.
Been there, done that, it's a huge waste of time. They'll either just dodge what you have to say, say something completely different or just defend their ignorance. And honestly, most of the threads here that talk about NJ if it's not asking a question on a town is about what's wrong with Jersey. I've avoided this forum altogether.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:

Of course people come to their opinions through different life exeriences it doesn't make one opinion more valid than another.

Last edited by knoxgarden; 03-24-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 01:21 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Something I need to point out (because I think this may be pointed at me), most people I've met in North Jersey have never heard of Vineland, while everyone I've met from South Jersey knows exactly where it's at.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:27 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:

When you are paying thousands upon thousands of dollars per year in property taxes which ahappen to fund many of these projects especially schools it becomes your issue.

You sound very young, come talk to me when you are a property owner paying in excess of $10K a year to support some of this nonsense.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Amen njkate! Another quick note cause I have seen your other posts; I have friends who are teachers who are scrambling right now and I just can't explain to them how their admins and supers and their own union is screwing them. As our property taxes go up and up I see no justification on this union not budging to a pay freeze or paying 1.5 % they won't pay? Come on the union is scaring the you know what out of these teachers handing out literature that is just LIES. If a pay freeze happened ACROSS THE STATE not a cut a freeze there would be NO lay-offs no cut backs. But the monster that is NJEA will not tell their members the truth. I heard one teacher complain she would be losing her aid and have to teach 30 kids I am in my thirties and I remember one teacher handling a class of that size all by himself or herself by themselves JUST FINE. Some of these teachers have gone soft and have become reliant on the cushes they get. NJEA collects over what 100 million in dues last year where does that $$ go, they have the best healthcare plan all kinds of plans deffered comp,life insurance etc etc...UGGh it's frustrating to me to hear these teachers whine about Christie when it's their own union that is screwing them!

Old 03-25-2010, 08:03 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
When you are paying thousands upon thousands of dollars per year in property taxes which ahappen to fund many of these projects especially schools it becomes your issue.

You sound very young, come talk to me when you are a property owner paying in excess of $10K a year to support some of this nonsense.
I just want a simple question answered... why does it cost almost 50% more than the national average per pupil to educate a student in NJ? We're something like $4,000 per student over the national average... if we figure 20 students per teacher and 200,000 teachers... that's 4M students... that's $16B of cost per year simply because it's more expensive to educate students in NJ...

Look at that... if we could reduce our costs to the national average, we could completely eliminate the budget defecit this year.

Until someone can answer that question in a satisfactory manner, I will continue to believe the NJEA and our entire education system in NJ is screwed up, broken, and will support every budget cut I even catch wind of.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:04 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Something I need to point out (because I think this may be pointed at me), most people I've met in North Jersey have never heard of Vineland, while everyone I've met from South Jersey knows exactly where it's at.
Hey North Jersey born & bred..I've heard of Vineland..even know where it is...lol....maybe because I was educated in catholic school and geography was a required subject...lol

Old 03-25-2010, 08:27 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,272,299 times
Angerinthenation, I've traveled a lot, and NJ Transit is one of the best systems that is out there. What are you comparing it to? What other suburban transit train lines have you experienced? I'm curious.

You do know that NJ is renowned for it's mass transit, right? Most states have little to no mass transit options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey