Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:36 AM

8 posts, read 25,868 times

Advertisements

Please help me. I'm planning to buy a house in Bloomfield, NJ. The taxes are over 10K a year. My question is. How do I determine before I buy the house, if the taxes will go up, down, or will remain the same?. I'm afraid to go forward with the purchase and later on get an increase in the taxes which will change my budget. How is the MS and High school?. Please reply A.S.A.P. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Taxes will probably go up after you purchase the house if they reassess. I lived in Bloomfield (Brookdale area) and children went to the schools. The schools started a down trend (especially high school) in 97', with influx of out of town individuals attending (fights, gangs, bullying). Not sure if there has been improvement.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 25,868 times
Thank you Ellwood. Can anybody else help me make a wise decision before I start signing a bunch of paperwork? Buying a house is a very difficult task and I need to hear from many people as possible to make a final decision. Thank you.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
well tell us more? What did you like about it???? Did you like the neighborhood? Do you like the urban beat? Tell us your worries? Is it just taxes and everything else is great ???

Old 04-04-2010, 11:13 AM

102 posts, read 261,132 times
Look up your address on neighborhood scout. I'm scheduled to close on a home in Bloomfield this month. My brother will be attending the high school, which has a new addition. Keep in mind that those who respond on this forum often equate how good an area is with how few minorities are in the area. The same goes for schools so the opinions (by way of definion) are biased. The elementary and middle schools score well overall. If you like the home and the area and you've done your research on the schools, go for it. Bloomfield has a train line to NYC, Brookdale Park and is a great place for a starter home. The taxes in Bloomfield were just reassessed late 2009 so no worries there. In addition Bloomfield won the NJ Smart Growth award and several areas including the train station will be revitalized. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:28 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhunter1 View Post
Please help me. I'm planning to buy a house in Bloomfield, NJ. The taxes are over 10K a year. My question is. How do I determine before I buy the house, if the taxes will go up, down, or will remain the same?.
That's easy. They will go up incrementally each year.

NJ by the numbers will tell you at what rate they have increased in the last several years. New Jersey by the Numbers - NJ.com

Quote:
I'm afraid to go forward with the purchase and later on get an increase in the taxes which will change my budget.
That's not going to be a game changer. Basically, if you can afford it in the first year and your pay keeps pace with inflation, you will be able to afford payments down the road. The reason is that while the present value of property taxes may increase slightly (due to the never ending expansion of the public sector), the present value of your mortgage payments goes down.

One thing to keep in mind is that state aid is being cut, check to see how much Bloomfield depends on this (I think it gets a chunk from the state). Aid cuts could be a source of property tax hikes.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 8,014 times
I just bought a house this summer in Bloomfield (2010) and my new 2011 taxes are up $2,000! If I had known this I definitely would NOT have bought in Bloomfield. There are other towns nearby with much lower taxes. check out wayne, clifton, etc or other counties. I would sell right now but would loose too much so have to stick it out for awhile. 12K taxes for a house under $400K is ridiculous.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:00 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbgbgb View Post
I just bought a house this summer in Bloomfield (2010) and my new 2011 taxes are up $2,000! If I had known this I definitely would NOT have bought in Bloomfield. There are other towns nearby with much lower taxes. check out wayne, clifton, etc or other counties. I would sell right now but would loose too much so have to stick it out for awhile. 12K taxes for a house under $400K is ridiculous.

GB, are you sure. The tax bill you should have just received should be for 2010. I know because I just got mine in the mail and its for 2010/2011 Preliminary. So just prepare yourself next June to receive another potential increase.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
GB, are you sure. The tax bill you should have just received should be for 2010. I know because I just got mine in the mail and its for 2010/2011 Preliminary. So just prepare yourself next June to receive another potential increase.
Essex County = Newark, Irvington, East Orange welfare

Old 10-08-2010, 02:38 PM

143 posts, read 416,056 times
hhunter1
When it comes to NJ property taxes, you always MUST be prepared for INCREASES. In good economic times property taxes may be stable, these days but when towns are constantly forced to implement unfunded mandates, and are also locked into union contracts (police, teachers, etc.) there are few options: lay off employees, cut services or raise taxes. Even well managed towns across NJ will be raising property taxes this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey