Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 05:36 PM

64 posts, read 145,991 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm sure it's been done a million times, but I was wondering if any of you could tell me about NJ's food scene?

One of your posters came over to the Kansas forum and gave us a lot of good info and pics on Jersey so it piqued my curiosity!

My fiance and I are probably going to visit within the next year as he has family in Jackson, New Jersey. I was born and raised in the midwest (Kansas City) and moved to Orlando but never been up the east coast, so I appreciate any advice on restaurants and stuff to check out when we're in town.

As you can tell, we're major foodies and love history, art (even though I don't know a lot about it), bookstores, walking and biking trails, etc.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 05:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
Depends on what you want , and what is your price range?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,887,790 times
You HAVE to go on a Diner tour here in Jersey.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
...and you have to have NJ pizza (though I'm not sure where to go over in Jackson).

You won't be too far from Monmouth Battlefield State Park. Washington slept there.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Depends on what you want , and what is your price range?
Well, we like Indian, Thai, steakhouses, Hawaiian, Mediterranean, Italian, and we'll try pretty much everything.

Price range? Moderate...we don't mind paying for quality but the highest we usually go is around $150 for the two of us.

Thanks for responding!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
You HAVE to go on a Diner tour here in Jersey.
That sounds so incredibly amazing...diner food is love! Where do I begin?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,868,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKateyKaboom View Post
That sounds so incredibly amazing...diner food is love! Where do I begin?
The whole state LOL It varies , Jersey Diners are unique...

Old 04-21-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
...and you have to have NJ pizza (though I'm not sure where to go over in Jackson).

You won't be too far from Monmouth Battlefield State Park. Washington slept there.
Ah, I'm so excited! I wish we could go now to check it out, but we probably won't be able to until next year's tax refunds.

I started doing searches on NJ and things to see. This park looks pretty cool: Grounds for Sculpture

Old 04-21-2010, 06:50 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,464,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKateyKaboom View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm sure it's been done a million times, but I was wondering if any of you could tell me about NJ's food scene?

One of your posters came over to the Kansas forum and gave us a lot of good info and pics on Jersey so it piqued my curiosity!

My fiance and I are probably going to visit within the next year as he has family in Jackson, New Jersey. I was born and raised in the midwest (Kansas City) and moved to Orlando but never been up the east coast, so I appreciate any advice on restaurants and stuff to check out when we're in town.

As you can tell, we're major foodies and love history, art (even though I don't know a lot about it), bookstores, walking and biking trails, etc.

Thank you!

Having spent a significant amount of time in FL due to family living there, I can tell you, overall, NJ's food blows FL's out of the water overall. FL does have some awesome chicken wing places that are better than NJ's. Other than that, NJ wins. Things to try in NJ:

A Kosher Deli

Italian Food/Pizza/Deli (We've gots das bests heres in Joisey!)

Bagels (Drive 90 minutes from Jackson to Hot Bagels on Saddle River Road in Fair Lawn for what may be the country's best bagel.)

A GOOD local bakery (Why are there virtually no decent bakeries in FL? People rave about the Publix bakeries like they were patisseries, probably because there are no better options in most areas of FL.)

A good hot dog joint

A good Newark rodizio (Brazilian Barbecue)

I'll post more ideas as I think of them!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 PM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
That's not quite my back yard, so I'll throw out a few suggestions and maybe others can fill in the blanks.

You won't be too far from the beach, and though sometimes a bit quiet before high season, some of the shops and restaurants are open year round.

You could visit Princeton. It's a lovely town and the rich history will make you wish that you had more than one day to spend there.

History? You can't leave without seeing this. War of the Worlds Monument
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey