Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 9,161 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I am moving to Newark-NJ in less than 2 months. I 've been in california all my life and i just graduated with a major in communications studies. I decided to move to newark, due to im done with college and let's face it; it's to deal with the real world. I have never moved out of state in my life...so i'm pretty nervous. My biggest concern is FINDING a JOB. I've been trying to go on craigslist, indeed and site of that sort for the past couple of weeks...but no lucky. I don't know if is still too early to apply for jobs...but i get scared to not be able to find a job..by the time i get there.
Luckily my boyfriend lives there...but still there is only so much he can do for me there...such as finding a place to live and etc.....bc he is also new to the area.
About moving...i don't even know what am i going to do. I have called truck companies that ship cars around the state for about $900 from CA to NJ..and they even said i could pretty much all my clothes and etc..in trunk of the car and etc..
My biggest concern is that i also have a beautiful YAMAHA ELECTONE ORGAN...brand new that i would like to take it with me....but i have no clue how much it might cost to ship over there. if you know companies...or anything else that i should know...it would be very helpful.

PLease let me know in what ways i should go....so i can have a smooth move from CA to NJ.

P.s I am going to newark this december to spend new years there...i am thinking i could possibly see place i could live..or possibly job interviews.

What do you all think?
Thank you so much for the taking the time to read my thread
God Bless you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,582 times
Society Hill

Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Its good to see someone open-minded about living in Newark but remember the stereo-types are true and keep an anti-theft on ur car or u'll wake up to see it gone. Its nice to hear you will be near ur b/f. I don't think it's a bit to early to find work considering it'll take time to get responses and a date for interview. Can the organ fit in something that u can pull with ur car? That's if u consider driving. I bet it would cost around the same as shipping ur car alone.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:53 AM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
[quote=Newtotheblock;11740584]
Quote:
PLease let me know in what ways i should go....so i can have a smooth move from CA to NJ.
If you are thinking about driving out here to Newark, I highly recommend it! About 15 years ago I drove from my house in Newark to visit a friend in Los Angeles. I drove out on Rt. 80. Then around Nebraska I hopped on Rt. 70, and then to Rt. 15 straight through to LA. I took my time and planned my itinerary so I could stop and see some really interesting places along the way. You could use this route in reverse (obviously), or plan a different route to take you on a seperate path. Whatever way you choose, have fun!

Welcome to Newark! And although Newark's crime rate is higher than the national average, don't listen to the type of person who does not live here who loves to peruse the New Jersey threads to bash our urban areas. Newark is a vibrant city with some wonderful neighborhoods and some absolutely great people! Newark is not the lifeless ghetto that some people like to portray it is. Yeah, it's a little rough around the edges but there are a lot of aspects to this city that make it hard for people like me to leave it.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
I would just be careful with the idea of putting clothes, etc. in the trunk of your car if you decide to ship it. We shipped a pickup truck and car from NJ to OK when we moved almost two years ago. The agency we booked it through told us the same thing, but luckily the driver it was assigned to called and told us he would not accept any car that had personal items stored in it.

Just make sure before you load it up.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,392 times
Good luck with your relocation. Yeah, Newark is rough around the edges (LOL to El Dakar) and yes please have an anti-theft on your car because it will get broken into to. The crime rate yes is very much a reality, and if you don't have street smarts, you will catch on soon as you start living there. The upside is, the city does have a lot to offer and neighboring NYC is next door so you will have alot of diversity as far as things to do, jobs etc. I hope you enjoy, most west coasters don't like that area of NJ...

Old 11-23-2009, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 9,161 times
Thank you for the responses so far. I really appreciated it.

Now...my car has an alarm. is that enough?

Do you know good moving truck companies that are reliable and secure..to book my car shipment?

How about job positions...where do you think i should look for as i am starting new in newark. i thought about receptionist, working in a bank...or even something along my major..but i know that is time economy crisis time i can't be asking for much..

I'm thinking to live in the IRONBOUND section of Newark..maybe get a furnished studio, or live with somebody else..

DO you know of furnished studios in Newark in price range of $500-600 a month?

Please let me know your inputs.

Thank you so much!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:22 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
1) Buy a gun

2) Seriously consider an investment in life insurance.

3) Welcome to Newark!!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 PM

341 posts, read 679,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
1) Buy a gun

2) Seriously consider an investment in life insurance.

3) Welcome to Newark!!

What part of Newark do you live in?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
What part of Newark do you live in?

The best part of all: Nowhere within five miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey