Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 PM

185 posts, read 488,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Very possible.

I keep thinking I'll hit the Outpost in Carrizozo, but I never get there at the right time for lunch! One of these days!
Cathy! Are you kidding me? You've never eaten at Outpost? Seriously, you have to try-their GCCBs are at least on par with Buckhorn-and I would argue better. Very large, really-I split one for 2 meals. And just get the small fries-believe me you need at least 2 people for a "small" order. But one word of warning-they only accept cash. No checks, no credit cards, just cash. But really, it is to die for. Not cheap, a GCCB, fries, and Alien Amber will set you back $10 or so.

Another great place to try is the La Brewja coffee shop close to the 4 way. The breakfast burritos are the best in Lincoln county, and the lunch soup and sandwiches, all made from scratch, are better than anything Starbucks has. Really. And the coffee is of course the best around. Only thing is they are only open during the week.

Since I'm on the promotion bandwagon here, Elsie's has been reborn as Manny's. The absolute best Mexican food around, better than anything in Ruidoso (and there are some good ones there for sure). Plus the fried chicken is guaranteed to add 3kg to your waistline-but man oh man is it worth it! I love the taco plate myself, but anything is good.

OK, you got no excuse now. There is absolutely nothing good to eat in Alamo (I've tried) so you got to come up and see us!

Take care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Details please.

Where is Elsie's reborn as Manny's? Where is la Brewja?

Thanks, GregW.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
Hey, Hogfarmer, thanks for the recommendations! I'm just going to have to time my trip one of these days to catch Outpost and the others for either lunch or supper, if they are open in the evenings (?)!!

No. Alamogordo, with the possible exception of Pepper's Grill on North Sands, has no decent restaurants. I've tried for 3 solid years, and I just cook a lot. Not even the much-ballyhooed Blake's is any good here. Margo's isn't too bad at times.

Unfortunately, the last TWO meals I had at Tularosa's Casa de Sueños were just outright lousy.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Hi Greg, Manny's (Elsie's) is heading west on 380, maybe 1/2 mile from the 4 way, on your left. They also have a drive through. It is pretty busy on weekend evenings, but that's indicating it's good. LaBrewja is going south from the 4 way on 54 just a couple of blocks on your left. Look for the parking lot with the bikes parked out front. And check out the chile potato stew-awesome, and actually has some heat-and made from scratch which I really like. If you go there, say hi to Deb and ask her about her China fund.

Cathy, certainly Outpost is open during the weekend evenings (thank goodness) but kind of hit and miss on Monday/Tuesday. If there is something going on, like the bikers, then certainly but otherwise it can be pretty quiet.

Oh, as you cruise through town, especially if you're coming up from the south, watch the 25 mph speed limit as you come around the bend. Carrizozo needs the cash right now and Darryl is doing his part with his radar gun.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
hogfarmer - thanks for the locations. I'll be careful about the speeds. I usually consider 25 mph slow for inside a parking garage so I had better pay attention.

We are probably going to postpone our next New Mexico trip until Fall of 2011 because I have come down with a plague that refuses diagnosis but acts like Lyme disease. I lost the strength and coordination to ride the Kawasaurus (1980 Kawasaki KZ 1300 six) with any degree of safety and currently am hard pressed to walk more than a half mile before running out of strength and pain tolerance.

Let’s see: Breakfast in Socorro, lunch in Carrizozo and supper in San Antonio. Then stop and see the VLA and the Badlands (Valley of Fires) as well as the rock and mineral shop in Bingham (the only place I have ever seen Trinitite for sale).

I am keeping up with this set of New Mexico threads and using paper maps, Google Street View and the New Mexico Magazine to feed my obsession.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
GregW: I'm sorry to read abour your 'plague'. I hope you can get that straightened out. My allergies are just killing me this season; my nose is running almost constantly unless I'm doped up on Benadryl.

I don't know where Bingham is. I thought it was in AZ. I guess I'd better get a map out!

Old 09-28-2010, 12:43 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I don't know where Bingham is. I thought it was in AZ. I guess I'd better get a map out!
It's a mailbox on NM 380 about 6-8 miles east of the entrance to the Trinity test site.
I examined the Rock Shop's samples of Trinitite to confirm what I had photographed was
in fact, Da Real Deal..

Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,162 times
Greg;

Sorry to hear about your medical problems and wishing you a speedy and full recovery!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Greg, really sorry to hear about your bug that has you down. Beautiful time of year out here, but don't need to remind you of that. Anyway, we'll keep it for you until next year!

Sounds like you need to do what we did-move West! I don't think there is anyway we'd go back to the midwest now. But be warned-things (and people) are a little different than back east! That's not good or bad, just different (such as the bought-and-paid-for election recently here in Lincoln county). But as far as the beauty of the country, it can't be beat!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Surprisingly, Bingham is on my AAA road map! Thanks, MH. I've been down US 380 lots of times and never noticed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico