Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:59 PM

83 posts, read 180,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I'm sure a teenager would find it very boring in Alamogordo--probably endemic to the species, LOL!

If you're originally from EP, the weather in Alamo is no different other than a very few degrees cooler in the summer, which isn't saying much. We had our first real winter this year in the 3 years I've been here.

We have mild winters and hot-as-hades summers. It's actually pretty great here weatherwise other than May through August or September.

If you like hot weather, the above won't be true. And....having lived in LV, you know what hot is.

Lots of outdoor activities in the area, especially with Cloudcroft and Ruidoso so close.
Thank you Cathy,

I remember being a ghost town 20 years ago and coming from Las Vegas the last thing I need is my son to get bored and turn to drugs, which he did at some point but thank God that's over. However, he's into boxing and soccer but he gets bored easily. My daughter 19 attends a community college and she's interested in Animal Science degree from NMSU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,947 times
My husband and I moved to Alamo almost two years ago and we love it. It is a slow paced life style and we have adjusted nicely. Yeah, there is corruption when it comes to city officials but that is every where. Not much shopping options but make a day of it and go to El Paso or Cruses for fun. Albuquerque is a nice weekend trip, then you can come back home to a nice quiet town. We hooked up with a nice church and made friends quickly. Come with a positive attitude and you will do just fine.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,721 times
Default Help! Moving to Alamogordo

I am moving to Alamogordo in 3 weeks, looking at buying/renting a home. Very difficult as I don't know which areas are good.

I have two children ages 10 & 12 and want them to be safe.

Anybody have some knowledge that they are willing to share with me?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassiecassie76 View Post
I am moving to Alamogordo in 3 weeks, looking at buying/renting a home. Very difficult as I don't know which areas are good.

I have two children ages 10 & 12 and want them to be safe.

Anybody have some knowledge that they are willing to share with me?
You can rest easy knowing that ALL of the area is as safe as it gets these days. What you can afford will likely dictate where you live. If cost is no problem, there are plenty of new homes in the area, depending on what you can be satisfied with. And you couldn't be moving at a better time since the weather should be perfect for house hunting and being outdoors.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 AM

563 posts, read 1,499,168 times
This does seem like a safe town, and as joqua said, your price range will have a lot to do with the area you're in.

I can tell you from my own personal opinion from just driving around... heck, let me make a google map for you!!!

http://g.co/maps/89krq

There. Pointed out a few Playgrounds, post office, and grocery stores (Lowes and Walmart).
Hope I'm helpful.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,959 times
Default Another Alternative

You might also consider High Rolls - it's about 20 minutes up the mountain, a community of about 1,000 people, excellent small elementary school (middle and high school students go to the schools in Alamogordo). Houses are a little more expensive than the same size homes in Alamogordo, but many have been on the market for a while, so owners are ready to negotiate I live there and work in Alamogordo. Lived in Alamo for ten years and HR two. Bring the kids to see me at the public library when you get here!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:05 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Anything east of North Scenic Drive is decent, and as House of Critters suggested, High Rolls is a decent alternative. However, I think the kids who are in High Rolls actually have a choice of entering the Cloudcroft school district, which is behind only Los Alamos and NE Heights in ABQ for quality.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 PM

3 posts, read 9,110 times
Default Moving to Alamogordo... questions

Me and my bf are moving to Alamogordo, nm this summer (he's in the military) and we're debating whether we should rent a house, apartment, or buy a house. Not sure how long he's going to be stationed there so we're not sure if buying a house would be worth it (but don't feel like wasting a lot of money on rent for something if we're going to be there for a long time). Anyone know how the housing market is? Is it hard to sell a house or rent a house out? Most of the houses that we see for rent are really expensive but we would really prefer to live in a house as opposed to an apartment because we have a dog. Also, we don't know the area so we don't want to end up renting a house in a bad area. Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Assuming you're getting stationed at Holloman, and not the other bases in the area (WSMR, Ft. Bliss), looks like housing prices are high-normal for New Mexico. Would not recommend buying there from a purely financial perspective.

If the rents there are too steep, perhaps you might consider living out of an RV or trailer; it's not the land there that makes places expensive to live in.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 9,110 times
I can't see us living out of an RV or trailer for how ever many years we'll be there for. Are La Luz, High Rolls, or Cloudcroft nice area's to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico