Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 03:53 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times

Advertisements

I think it's a friendly north/south rivalry that no one takes too seriously - so lighten up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 04:02 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOHIllbillyWoman View Post
What do you like better, norhtern or southern? I personally prefer the southern green chilis.

Good News!!! It is supposed to be a bumper crop this year. We will be back in the Las Cruces area to pick up our b ags of green chilis. We come back here every year to get our fix.

I absolutely love green chili chicken enchiladas made with lots of green chilis.

So, Red or Green you all?
I like 'em all. The chiles grown in the north are mostly "land races" (Chimayó, Velarde, Dixon, etc), so named because of the region in which they're grown. The northern growing season is shorter and cooler, so they have developed these land races to thrive in whatever region. My personal favorite in the red is Chimayó...and for green, I prefer NuMex 64 (which I have grown many years) or Sandía! I have tried growing the varieties meant for northern NM here in hot WT....and while I did get a crop, the chiles are fewer in number and undersized. It's just not the right climate for them. The Big Jims and most of the varieties typically eaten green grow well here because of the heat.

So.....I like both red and green!! There is NOTHING like freshly picked red chiles for sauces....or dehydrated and ground into bright red powder. The flavors are incredible.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I like 'em all. The chiles grown in the north are mostly "land races" (Chimayó, Velarde, Dixon, etc), so named because of the region in which they're grown. The northern growing season is shorter and cooler, so they have developed these land races to thrive in whatever region. My personal favorite in the red is Chimayó...and for green, I prefer NuMex 64 (which I have grown many years) or Sandía! I have tried growing the varieties meant for northern NM here in hot WT....and while I did get a crop, the chiles are fewer in number and undersized. It's just not the right climate for them. The Big Jims and most of the varieties typically eaten green grow well here because of the heat.

So.....I like both red and green!! There is NOTHING like freshly picked red chiles for sauces....or dehydrated and ground into bright red powder. The flavors are incredible.
Now that's a nice post! Informative and descriptive to a "t". The last paragraph has me drooling, it's almost time for the fresh red! Nothing, and I mean nothing is better than red chile sauce made from fresh red chile. It's got a sweetness and flavor you don't get after they've been dried. One of the many things I love about fall in NM.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Now that's a nice post! Informative and descriptive to a "t". The last paragraph has me drooling, it's almost time for the fresh red! Nothing, and I mean nothing is better than red chile sauce made from fresh red chile. It's got a sweetness and flavor you don't get after they've been dried. One of the many things I love about fall in NM.
You and me both....I'll also get there in time to get my chiles for the season!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Ill find out where I get my green chilis from. My friend roats em for me and I make beer and cook with them, but have no idea where they are from

Id love to be able to make a good chilie, but ive no idea :S

Old 07-24-2007, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 9,214 times
i thought there were both red and green in both the north and south NM? anyway,b/w red and green, green would definitely win. where else can you get a $.99 green chile cheeseburger at Wendys? not here in Cali. hahaha.

now nothern and southern chile is different. i , personally, think northern is hotter. my aunt makes a salsa w/ some chimayo chile and that makes me cry. but, the fireroasted southern chile from hatch is awesome to eat by itself!! i love it! just peel, open it, take out the seeds, and eat it like a steak. YUM! yea, i prefer southern chile to norther.

just mho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico