Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,859 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to New Mexico, but haven't decided where. I'm looking for an area with lower land prices, lower humidity, warmer climate in winter, and a small town that is within an hours drive of a larger town for shopping, doctors, ect. I only speak English, although I'm trying to learn Spanish, so communication is a concern. I'd appreciate some input from locals. Since I plan to build a house in the country, any information you can provide regarding building regulations and availability of water services would be helpful, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:50 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppytrails2u View Post
I only speak English, although I'm trying to learn Spanish, so communication is a concern. I'd appreciate some input from locals. Since I plan to build a house in the country, any information you can provide regarding building regulations and availability of water services would be helpful, as well.
My native language is Spanish. English works quite well just about everywhere in New Mexico.

I am not a local, we have lived here 14+ years this time.

You might read through these threads:
Wanting To Buy Land In New Mexico
Drought In New Mexico, Lack Of Water.
Water issues in New Mexico

Old 04-27-2014, 05:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I suggest buying a Benchmark maps "Road and Recreation Atlas of New Mexico". This large format book contains large scale maps of the state as well a detail maps of the major cities. It also has several pages of historic and points of interest.

While I am not a local I have been fascinated, and a bit obsessive, about New Mexico for a couple of decades. Several towns and small cities (for city detail just type in the city/town name on the home page of city-data to obtain more information than you want) may interest you. Socorro is a small city and hour south of Albuquerque and has most of what you want. Magdalena is an small town and hour west and seems relatively inexpensive. Tularosa and Alamogordo have a similar relationship.

I suggest you take a couple of recon trips to New Mexico. Make one in summer to experience the heat and another in winter for the cold. Missouri is only about a two days drive from Albuquerque this is not as difficult as traveling from the Northeast.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:45 AM

154 posts, read 346,344 times
I endorse the recon trips to eyeball towns you've shortlisted.

On paper, for example, Las Cruces seemed to be a good fit for me, but when I visited - twice - I couldn't get past a vibe of blandness.

On the other hand, small Truth or Consequences has a distinct, lively personality that is much bigger than its size. Not to mention the attraction of the hot springs and the Rio Grande, and its relatively-good location in the state.

I ended up in Alamogordo for its access to multiple climates: high desert in Alamogordo with uplifting views of the mountains and White Sands and proximity to the cooling Sacramento Mountains (and the Lincoln National Forest). I was a little more than an hour from El Paso, Las Cruces, and Ruidoso. El Paso was a straight shot down Highway 54; Las Cruces via Highway 70. I never tired of the miracle of going from ~ 4300 feet to 9000 feet in less than 15 miles as I drove from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft. And the view when I returned from Cloudcroft to Alamogordo - especially at sunset - you feel lucky to live there.

Alamogordo's a very walkable community.

About 13 miles north of Alamogordo is Tularosa, with old shade trees and beautiful flowers, and which puts you closer to Ruidoso.

A downside of Alamogordo is the dearth of live music venues in town.

If some snow or colder weather is OK with you, then take a look at Aztec in the northwestern part of the state. Charming downtown and close to some diverse geography - Navajo Lake, Angel Peak, Shiprock (the geological feature), etc. It's also very close to the larger town, Farmington, and also to the trendy Durango, Colorado.

Downside to Aztec - major traffic congestion from oil-field employees on the main drag between Farmington and Aztec. Also, could be expensive to heat your place in the winter.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
On the other hand, small Truth or Consequences has a distinct, lively personality that is much bigger than its size. Not to mention the attraction of the hot springs and the Rio Grande, and its relatively-good location in the state.

Interesting observation. T or C creeped me out to the extent that I didn't even get out of the car. I was on my way from West Texas back to Farmington, and I thought I'd stop and get gas and lunch. Brrrrr. Desolate and deserted-looking, even at 11:30pm. Aztec is a neat place, but you have to drive to Farmington or Durango for most amenities.

That part of northern NM (Four Corners) has the best climate in the country, and I miss it.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
You definitely need to research and visit. Saying you want to move to New Mexico is like saying you have a craving to eat 'food' for dinner. There are a lot of specifics relating to lifestyle and life in this geographically/culturally diverse state.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM

116 posts, read 251,140 times
Planning a visit is a must really cause in reality people will have much more higher expectations than what they are going to get. Go to Alamogordo, Truth or Consequences, Silver City just to name a few. I really like it here in Alamogordo but its not for everybody.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Tator89 and Mzurie - I live in Alamogordo, too, and I gotta tell ya both, I'm dern excited we're gettin' our very own Albertson's store in 9-12 months. Wow! A 3rd grocery store ta serve 36,000 people. Ya think we need a 3rd grocery store?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM

116 posts, read 251,140 times
I believe so we need something new here in town.... i was almost getting bored... lol

Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That part of northern NM (Four Corners) has the best climate in the country, and I miss it.
So long as you like hot in summer and cold in winter and dry....

I do like the red rock terrain though... absolutely love southern Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico