Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 AM

19 posts, read 72,610 times

Advertisements

We're planning a trip to Cloudcroft May 11-13 and I was wondering how "crowded" with people it will be? We went in November of last year and there weren't many people on the trails it was nice. I know there will be more people cause the warmer weather but I'm wanting to know what I should be expecting. We'll be taking our 2 dogs also and I was wanting to know how many dog friendly trails there were. When we went I saw about 3 of them. Are these the only ones or are they all generally dog friendly(with 6 ft leash of course)? Do we need to worry about bears around that season? Any additional info would be greatly appreciated as this is our dogs' first "hiking trip" and we aren't familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhfricke View Post
We're planning a trip to Cloudcroft May 11-13 and I was wondering how "crowded" with people it will be? ...I was wanting to know how many dog friendly trails there were....Do we need to worry about bears around that season?
Answers to your questions are going to depend on whether you're camping out or not.

Tourist season is generally considered to be between Memorial and Labor Days. Weekdays shouldn't be too busy if you hold to your dates.

There are numerous trails in the area if you get away from town and all of them are "dog friendly" to those who control their dogs on a leash. Letting dogs run free off the leash can be a problem.

You'll be fortunate if you get to observe a bear. I've yet to see one in the Cloudcroft area, even when camping, but see them often in Ruidoso. They are already coming out of hibernation since the weather has been getting milder daily. The main problem is caused by those bears that raid trash cans and dumpsters - not from encounters with people and pets.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 AM

19 posts, read 72,610 times
Thank you for your help! We're going April 19-21 now and staying in a cabin IN Cloudcroft. The way it sounds I'm sure there won't be to many people. Just like we like it :-D

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
That's the way I like as well. I usually make my NM trips after Labor Day, when the leaves are starting to turn and there aren't many people around. Ruidoso and Red River are great in late September-early October!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,160,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srhfricke View Post
Thank you for your help! We're going April 19-21 now and staying in a cabin IN Cloudcroft. The way it sounds I'm sure there won't be to many people. Just like we like it :-D
Just be sure and pack some warm jackets. It can get down to freezing overnight until about the first week in May. Days will be cool enough to need at least a sweater - or sweat shirt. Other than that, it's been very dry this winter so there won't be the green / flowers a wetter spring might have brought.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
About the fire danger - it's very high right now.

If you plan on cooking out, a propane stove is needed, not charcoal.
If you smoke, make sure your cig is put out all the way and do not dump hot ashes on the ground. As dry as it is, a fire can start pretty fast and get out of control especially when the winds are high and it's been pretty windy lately.

So be careful and have a great time while visiting.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM

502 posts, read 1,379,806 times
At the very least look for fire restrictions. No outside fires, no smoking outside etc. If things don't improve SOON it is possible that the forest will be closed by then. Last info. I have heard is that they are trying to hold off for the first weekend of spring turkey season to get over before they do anything. Not guarantee that will happen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico