Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM

9 posts, read 54,030 times

Advertisements

If you were looking to get 3 or more acres of reasonably attractive land (not horrible but doesn't have to be absolutely idyllic) for under $20k to put an off-the-grid home on and needed to be near schools that were not terrible and near a community of progressive, eco-friendly people and find work in construction, where in New Mexico would you look?

We are interested in Taos and surrounding areas and price is the limiting factor there. Anyone have personal experience with this?

Tara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 04:26 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,312 times
Look around Socorro, New Mexico. The Highway 60 corridor is beautiful (Magdalena, Datil, Quemada, Springerville, etc.) and there is reasonable land still available. Now, it is probably going quickly as there is not a lot of privately owned land along there to begin with (national forest is on two sides of that area). I have about 100 acres of land from there north and west of Hwy 25. Socorro is a town with a university, a nice golf course, a growing art community and only about 90 miles south of Albuquerque (for hospitals, airports, more restaurants, etc.). Socorro has a native american population with the Navajos that live north and west of there but they also have people moving in from Arizona and California so it is a changing place. I am banking on it, literally, to grow into the kind of place I would find interesting to live. And, I don't think that day is too far off. Springerville is enjoying a re-birth of sorts with a growing Mormon population moving over from Taylor Ariz. area and that is driving prices up out there. Check it out...it is a beautiful spring drive and you will see hoards of pronghorns along the way as well as the VLA (very large array).

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,414,824 times
You can get 10 acres for 15k here in Clayton. Check out Big Country Realty, they have info on it. Or PM me, i have all the details as its a friend selling it.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
This is why we are seriously considering Socorro. Sounds like we need to buy a place sooner rather than than later. Health concerns lead to an in town house. However there is a real attraction to a really remote "off the grid" location wth dark skies and complete quiet.

We drove from Silver City to Socorro three years ago using Rts 180, 12, and 60. Stunning country and a great drive. Stayed for a while in a B&B in San Antonio. BTW - Manny's had better green chilli cheesburgers than the Owl.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 16,364 times
I really don't hear good things about Socorro. This is from actual people who live and lived there. But also, these people are young, mid 20's I'd say. So not having much to do there will make someone hate the place and save money for gas just so they could make a trip to Albuquerque. I didn't like it much whenever I was there.

Old 05-03-2007, 02:18 PM

153 posts, read 759,645 times
I'm in my 20's and my husband and I LOVE Socorro. Like I've said in other posts, you just have to know what is beyond the last stop light in town or you probably won't like it here. I mountain bike, offroad Jeeps, hike, camp, climb, take my dogs on long fossil-hunting hikes, garden, and just enjoy all the beautiful scenery that Socorro, Magdalena, and the surrounding areas have to offer.

Tara (37sunflower), please consider a drive to Polvadera, Socorro, Escondida, Magdalena area. You can buy property for very cheap in towns closer to Socorro as well. I think that Socorro is pricey but the smaller towns near by are very reasonable for off the grid property. In fact I know of at least one Earthship in Lemitar, NM (5 miles N. of Socorro) and several efficient homes in Polvadera.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
FWIW - I'm in my 60's and ready to move. Socorro sound like a good place to start my own business (subsided by my retirement) doing something interesting. Considering I am an environmental scientist that can use machine tools and work iron and steel there should be some demand for a part timer. I do intend to do some off road driving and exploratory geology.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,634 times
Default Edgewood?

What is the Edgewood area like? Too built up anymore? I moved four years ago from New Mexico to Washington but am seriously considering moving back.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:37 PM

Can you tell me what county that is in so I can look up the schools?

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I am using your input to check around!

Tara

Old 05-06-2007, 07:41 PM

The schools in Socorro seem to be getting really bad ratings and comments. Does anyone know something different-or nearby areas with better schools?

Tara
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico