Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 AM

995 posts, read 2,727,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggggies View Post
Who knew this thread would come so far? Since my first post, my hubby has bought me 2 new weapons and I've gotten my concealed carry! (oh and hubby hasn't) Glad to see it's still going...
Are there any indoor ranges?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
Are there any indoor ranges?
Calibers

Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times
Here in Texas, anyone who buys a gun at a gun show has to fill out a yellow sheet and, if it's a handgun, has to wait 5 days (Brady Bill) unless he/she has a concealed handgun license, in which case no further checking is needed. I'm surprised that NM doesn't have a similar setup. Here in TX, there is much talk of the "gun show loophole", but I've been to a lot of gun shows and haven't seen the so-called loophole in action.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:17 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Here in Texas, anyone who buys a gun at a gun show has to fill out a yellow sheet and, if it's a handgun, has to wait 5 days (Brady Bill) unless he/she has a concealed handgun license, in which case no further checking is needed. I'm surprised that NM doesn't have a similar setup. Here in TX, there is much talk of the "gun show loophole", but I've been to a lot of gun shows and haven't seen the so-called loophole in action.
In New Mexico there is no state requirement that a criminal background check be done on people buying guns at gun shows if they are sold by "private" individuals or gun "collectors". Gun shows can operate on a "no questions asked, cash-and-carry" basis. No records are required to be kept on gun show sales by private individuals or gun collectors.

Rich

Old 04-12-2009, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
Default question

i haven't been able to get a straight answer. when carrying an open hand gun in New Mexico, Texas you cannot go into places that serve alcohol on the premises i understand that but what about places that sale alcohol like grocery stores and gas stations places like that. i know you can carry in arizona as long as you can't consume alchol on the property.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 56,085 times
Are you sure about that Rich? Because I went to the gun show at the Lujan Bldg in June, and the guy there told me that EVERYONE selling had to run background checks. Maybe it's not a state law, but they seem to be enforcing it at the gun shows, maybe just on a "per show" basis.

Either way, doesn't matter how relaxed the rules are in NM because

1.) you won't find any ammo for a gun purchased in this state, and

2.) good luck finding somewhere to practice besides a gun range, unless of course you want to search for that wee-little slice of BLM land that still exists and isn't being visited by mountain bikers, photographers, or other permanent NM vacationers...

Old 07-07-2009, 04:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeek View Post
Are you sure about that Rich? Because I went to the gun show at the Lujan Bldg in June, and the guy there told me that EVERYONE selling had to run background checks. Maybe it's not a state law, but they seem to be enforcing it at the gun shows, maybe just on a "per show" basis.
Yes, "In New Mexico there is no state requirement that a criminal background check be done on people buying guns at gun shows if they are sold by "private" individuals or gun "collectors". Gun shows can operate on a "no questions asked, cash-and-carry" basis. No records are required to be kept on gun show sales by private individuals or gun collectors.".

They most likely had dealers who held Federal Firearms Licenses (FFL).

Federal law generally requires that licensed firearms dealers conduct a background check on all prospective firearms purchasers to ensure that such persons are not prohibited from buying or possessing a firearm. This background check requirement was enacted through the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.

The gun shows can require background checks on all purchases if they want to.

References:

New Mexico State Firearms Laws

Legal Community Against Violence

NRA - New Mexico Gun Laws

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-24-2017 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-07-2009, 06:10 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
I think that anyone that owns or buys a gun should be required to take a class on how to use one and the law should be that there be a background check. Scary that there isn't.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:10 PM

362 posts, read 1,719,264 times
This will give you the basics:
New Mexico DPS | Concealed & Carry Information (http://www.dps.nm.org/lawEnforcement/ccw/ccwFaq.php - broken link)

Old 07-07-2009, 07:29 PM

167 posts, read 598,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
How hard is it to get a concealed carry permit?
The Zia Rifle and Pistol club has a good program. The man that teaches it is very knowledgeable and very nice. Additionally, they offer lots of other programs and activities. I cant say enough good things about them. The womens class I took was an unbelievable good value. So much info- two days worth for $35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque