Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 24,370 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into buying some acreage around Magdalena, Datil or Pie Town. I've driven through the area before and have done some checking about climate and such. But I would like any info (good or bad) about the area from someone who has lived there before I buy.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
somebody on this board is a realtor working out of Magdalena. Mayby he will chime in.

Judging from our vacation/recon trip the Plains of St Augustine are about a desolate a place as I have ever seen. I know next to nothing about the nearby mountains.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:46 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,559 times
I do not live in that area but I own property in that area and have for about four years. Magdalena has actually grown a bit in that time. I personally think that is some of the most beautiful areas in New Mexico and I have been to every corner of New Mexico and in between. Water is good in that area and from what I am told and its a good sized area of underground water. However, in some areas, it is quite deep. My property would require a 400' foot well. That being said, I live near the Rio Grande and my well here is over 400 feet deep. It is not so much that the water is not available at shallower levels but it is not potable at shallower levels. So, this issue can be deceiving when somebody thinks that is too far to drill money wise. This last year was the snowiest there with snow staying on the ground for several days and some huge blasts coming through the area. So, it can get weather up there but it does not seem to be paralyzing most of the time. Many of the people in Magdalena are transplants so for a small town, I think it would be quite welcoming. Feel free to PM me if you want the name of my realtor up there and any other info I might be able to provide.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
Default RE Magdelena and Pie Town

We are in Fench Lake a few miles NW of PT.

There are some great buys down there., but, first
check out the water..call Gallup Well drillers and ask Jerry about the water in the area you are looking at..Water is everything..

Then see about power..is it is, how much to put it in...solar and wind are good alternates...but..generator...costs$$.

Telephone..where we are we were quoted $12,000. (yes 12K) to have a phone line run 3/4 mile.....with Century Tele out of LA..(Lousiana).

Check the property for run off, it can get real muddy, yes really muddy.

4-wheel drive is a tool to get you to where you want to go in the rainey snowing time.

Wind lots in some areas...and brings up the dust...

Just have to come down and stay and see..

Oh, Pie Town...best pies around...folks nice....

Happy Trails,
Hunter

Old 12-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Thanks Guys for the info.
Hunter wold, do you have a well on your property in French Lake? If so, how deep did you have to drill? I had looked into land in the French Lake area a while back, but I read on another site that the water in that area was as much as 700 feet down. Is that true?
Water is my biggest concern when looking for property, so thanks for info on "Gallup well drillers" I'll give them a call when I narrow my search down.
As for power, I can't afford solar so I've only been looking at places that have lines at the property line. And a satellite phone might be the cheapest way to go if there is no cell coverage. $12K WOW!

Thanks again
Eary

Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Eary - For both heat and light you might consider a combined heat and power unit (CHP)operating on propane or Diesel'/WVO oil. There is a lot of information on the web about these devices and on how to estimate your electric power and heat/ac requirements. Some folks also rely on catchment water and/or trucked in supply.

Good luck - The Pie Town to Quamado area is just stunning.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:42 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,000,731 times
Default Re: water etc. Fence Lake

Thanks for returning the msg.
We are at 7100 ft. elev. about 4 miles NW of Post Office.
We went to 955 Ft. and after some struggles we now have a "good" well that is doing 6-7 GPM (gallons per minute) which is considered good.

We also have an 4500 gal storage holding tank.

"most" property around this area are at 500 ft. + - for water.
However call Jerry Pittman at Gallup Well Drillers as he is a straight shooter and really knows the area, as well as his wife "PJ".

What you save re property costs will more than cover the well costs..

Just down the road from us is a section going for about $600.00/acre..
This will not last for long....

Hunter Wold
at.

Ponderosaloghomes.com

Old 12-23-2007, 09:44 AM

GregW, I looked into the CHP units. They seem like they would be good for off the grid, but between the cost and the need to buy fuel for it, I'm not sure it would be right for me. My goal when I move is to keep things as simple and inexpensive as possible. A water catchment system is something I've looked into and might consider, if there is a community well near by. I'd hate to rely on the weather of all my water.

Hunter Wold, just out of curiosity, How many acres are for sale for $600 an acre? and what is the terrain and vegetation like?

Thanks again guys for your help
Eary

Old 05-11-2008, 06:19 AM

576 posts, read 2,307,310 times
Default Origin of "Magdalena Cochiti"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Judging from our vacation/recon trip the Plains of St Augustine are about a desolate a place as I have ever seen. I know next to nothing about the nearby mountains.
Really, Greg--did you find it to be desolate? I ask because I know you are a Socorro-to-Silver area fan. I think that the Plains of San Augustin are so beautiful. Silent, yes, and empty except for the huge searching telescopes of that kind of spooky Very Large Array, but some of the most gorgeous land I've ever seen. I was driving to the VLA once, trying to outrun a huge black storm that was bearing down. It was such a lovely, elemental place.

If you mean desolate in the sense of probably not a place to live and lack of services, yes. Actually, I tend to think of big stretches of what I call the "dirt desert" as desolate, but then I don't really "get" that landscape. It just doesn't call to me and I usually feel that I should just drive as fast as I can to get through it. But Magdalena now... If I were 30 years younger I would want to live in that little town. We were so taken by it that we named our dog after it, as in Magdalena Cochiti, for some of our favorite places.

So, I'm curious. Could you expand a little on that desolate description?

~clairz

Old 05-11-2008, 08:27 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairz View Post
Really, Greg--did you find it to be desolate? I ask because I know you are a Socorro-to-Silver area fan.
Yeap i was surprised also as Greg has always stated that he wants to move to NM because of the openess and vast room to roam without tons of People, Cities and Metro areas.

We are Montana of the south in the Rocky Mountain Region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico