Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:07 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd add a screen capture from a 2009 survey by Google's Street View of a venerable old palm at roadside in Tularosa. I pass it regularly but haven't recently paid attention to it's current condition. It has survived at this barren spot in spite of no apparent water source.

Last edited by joqua; 03-28-2017 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 11:37 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Not only is this incorrect, but I can't for the life of me recall where I've seen a living saguaro in southern New Mexico. Perhaps in Old Mesilla? Various types of palms I have seen plenty of, but severe cold spell killed off a lot of them several years ago.

You might think that the saguaro is the "state cactus" from all of the New Mexico illustrations/adverts containing depictions of the saguaro, for example:

LOL, yes. The idea of saguaros in New Mexico is definitely perpetuated and encouraged by misinformed/unscrupulous ad agencies and T-shirt manufacturers.

Does anyone else remember when the national Democratic Congressional campaign ran an ad against Heather Wilson that featured saguaro-covered hills as far as the eye could see? Oops...

Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 AM

36 posts, read 26,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
LOL, yes. The idea of saguaros in New Mexico is definitely perpetuated and encouraged by misinformed/unscrupulous ad agencies and T-shirt manufacturers.

Does anyone else remember when the national Democratic Congressional campaign ran an ad against Heather Wilson that featured saguaro-covered hills as far as the eye could see? Oops...
True.

Closest to NM I've seen Saguaros in their native range is around Bylas,near Safford, in SE Arizona.

I've read that there are Saguaros east of their normal range in the Peloncillo Mountains,
Which straddle the NM- AZ state line, so extreme SW NM might have a few.

I've seen some planted as landscaping in yards, Las Cruces, Pichacho Hills area.

Even one in ABQ, thought it could actually be a Cardon Cactus from Argentina,
Looks almost identical but more cold hardy, to zone 8a-7b

Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I can't recall seeing a single saguaro cactus in the two years we lived in southern New Mexico - but my range extends to Roswell, Carlsbad, Hobbs, Silver City, Lordsburg, Albuqueque, Santa Fe, Truth or Consequences, Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Las Cruces, Grants, Farmington, Shiprock - you name it. Nowhere in the state have I seen them.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,481 times
Thanks for the correction! I was only born there and lived there for 14 years . . .so I'm likely wrong!

Old 02-08-2016, 01:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fureyous View Post
Saguaro were not common but they were native.
They have never been native to New Mexico...

The saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea) is an arborescent (tree-like) cactus species in the monotypic genus Carnegiea, which can grow to be over 70 feet (21 m) tall. It is native to the Sonoran Desert in Arizona, the Mexican State of Sonora, and the Whipple Mountains and Imperial County areas of California.

REFERENCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saguaro

While the saguaro cactus has become a symbol of the American West, the saguaro cactus will only grow in the Sonoran desert. As a desert indicator species, the range of the saguaro cactus is limited to southern Arizona. Saguaro cactus will grow from sea level to about 4000 feet in elevation. The farther north and higher in elevation you go, the saguaro cactus will restrict their growth to the warmer, south facing slopes.

REFERENCE: Saguaro Cactus - Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico