Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2008, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,465 times

Advertisements

My mom and I have decided to start out on a new adventure in life. Children are raised and we have nothing tying us down where we live. We have been looking at Silver City. We were wondering about the cost of living, places to rent and gas prices, groceries and such, but were are also curious what minimum wage is there if we are going to be starting "our new adventure."

We don't care if we live humbly, we just want to make ends meet. If anyone can give us pointers we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Catt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,192 times
Default Looking to Move

I would say Roswell has the Best Prices on Real estate and the warm Weather but if you like cool weather and close to Albuquerque and Santa Fe the East Mountains is my Choice with plenty of Activities in the summer and fall and friendly people. Read the east mountain telegraph or the Independent. pintada kid at webtv dot net I worked in the Silver city area and it was so secluded over 300 miles from Albuquerque and Santa Fe and im not sure about all that copper in the Air at the time when they had the Smelters. IT WAS Beautiful country and wonderful people. pintada kid at webtvdotnet

Old 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattballou View Post
My mom and I have decided to start out on a new adventure in life. Children are raised and we have nothing tying us down where we live. We have been looking at Silver City. We were wondering about the cost of living, places to rent and gas prices, groceries and such, but were are also curious what minimum wage is there if we are going to be starting "our new adventure."

We don't care if we live humbly, we just want to make ends meet. If anyone can give us pointers we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

Catt
Catt, I would suggest you look at a lot of the past posts on Silver City. Do not rule out other places. But I would suggest coming down and checking the town out for yourself. Check out to see if there is a newspaper online for yu to read. And don't take everyones word on here as the gospel, everyone has a different take on each and every subject.
Good luck with your search.
JAne

Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Cattbalou - Where are you coming from. Before doing much more, I suggest you do a "recon" trip and check out several possible places and the deside which are the best. Then plan on a couple of visits, one duting the summer and one during the winter. Stay a couple of weeks in the selected areas. Then decide which place to move to.

The New Mexico state website has some usefull information. I suggest you get a New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas from Benchmark maps. They are available on Amazon and other places. Local on line classifieds will provide some sense of the real estate prices in any given area. City-Data information may also be useful.

Enjoy the search. We are.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,027,948 times
The search itself is a lot of fun....we certainly have enjoyed it!

There are many great online sites (just search "New Mexico" or specific cities/towns) that will give you a good basic education about the state and a better idea of where you may want to eventually settle. city-data forum has extensive information about almost every town in the state.

There is no way one should minimize the importance of visiting the state, and even on several occasions, as GregW suggested.

I LOVE New Mexico, but it is not for everyone....and you need to know if it is the right choice for you ... before you make the decision to move there.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
I know the Min Wage just went up as i beleive it's 6.50 per hour now

Slver City is right on the Mogollon Mountains as the Mountains there go all the way across thru Arizona to Flagstaff as you feel like your in Mountanious Western Montana in that area.

Silver City Newspaper
HOME - Silver City Sun-News

Silver Chamber of Commerce
Official Web Site for Silver City and Grant County, New Mexico, presented by the Silver City - Grant County Chamber of Commerce!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,465 times
Default Thanks so much

We have definitely been doing our homework and as soon as I am done training for the position I am in, I can transfer with my company. All of your suggestions have been helpful and greatly appreciated as well as advice taken. The plan to visit is in the works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico