Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 6,414 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
my family and I are relocating to Holloman AFB soon and I have a teen. I'm curious as to how Alamogordo High School is currently as she will be attending. I actually grew up in the area and went to this school in the 90's and it wasn't that bad.
There were some issues but I never got involved in gangs, drugs, etc or wasn't aware of the issue. I did a search on the Holloman FB Spouses page and many were saying that there is a huge drug problem in Alamogordo and they either homeschool their kids or send them to Cloudcroft. It makes me wonder if the majority of military personnel send their high schoolers elsewhere and homeschool.

My other question was about the housing market. We'll be there for a few years so I was considering purchasing a house but unsure of the market. There are over 200 listings for houses for sale so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Would it be challenging to sell once we get orders out?
Thank you all for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 10:32 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
thank yall for yalls service....what is your budget for housing?

Old 03-20-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
thank yall for yalls service....what is your budget for housing?
You're welcome.

and thank you.
Our budget is no more than 230,000.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:23 AM

33 posts, read 31,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passingthru321 View Post
Hi All,
my family and I are relocating to Holloman AFB soon and I have a teen. I'm curious as to how Alamogordo High School is currently as she will be attending. I actually grew up in the area and went to this school in the 90's and it wasn't that bad.
There were some issues but I never got involved in gangs, drugs, etc or wasn't aware of the issue. I did a search on the Holloman FB Spouses page and many were saying that there is a huge drug problem in Alamogordo and they either homeschool their kids or send them to Cloudcroft. It makes me wonder if the majority of military personnel send their high schoolers elsewhere and homeschool.

My other question was about the housing market. We'll be there for a few years so I was considering purchasing a house but unsure of the market. There are over 200 listings for houses for sale so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Would it be challenging to sell once we get orders out?
Thank you all for your time
Hi,

I happened to read your post because I'm looking at real estate in Alamogordo myself as a retirement destination. I like the place in spite of its detractors. And I have seen some detractors on this site.

There seems to be a lot of drug use everywhere these days, not just in schools but among adults as well. Having people to work on your house or in your yard, as I have, it doesn't take long to figure this out. Sometimes they even tell you they do it. I never had any kids, but if I did I would think twice about putting them in the public school system today anywhere in the US - if I could afford to think twice, that is. Drugs are not the only reason I say this.

As for the housing market, in places where there is money, prices are high and property sells quickly. The less money there is, the less this is so. I see this everywhere. The number of places without money appears to be growing. Personally I no longer see real estate as an "investment," a thing to be bought then later sold, so I have a little more freedom to choose than some.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yenrug View Post
Hi,

I happened to read your post because I'm looking at real estate in Alamogordo myself as a retirement destination. I like the place in spite of its detractors. And I have seen some detractors on this site.

There seems to be a lot of drug use everywhere these days, not just in schools but among adults as well. Having people to work on your house or in your yard, as I have, it doesn't take long to figure this out. Sometimes they even tell you they do it. I never had any kids, but if I did I would think twice about putting them in the public school system today anywhere in the US - if I could afford to think twice, that is. Drugs are not the only reason I say this.

As for the housing market, in places where there is money, prices are high and property sells quickly. The less money there is, the less this is so. I see this everywhere. The number of places without money appears to be growing. Personally I no longer see real estate as an "investment," a thing to be bought then later sold, so I have a little more freedom to choose than some.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. You provided some sound advice on all of my questions/concerns and I'll research a little more on home-school, housing, etc.

Good luck to you as well with picking your retirement destination. I haven't been back to the area in over 20 years but NM as a whole is a great place to live if you like a quiet and slow life.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:22 PM

356 posts, read 502,631 times
Passingthru, I wish I knew something about Alamo High School but I don't, being divorced, 65 and a newcomer to Alamogordo (arrived last September). If the school does have a bad reputation among Air Force families, we've got to fix it as our community needs you and wants you to want to come here, stay here, and retire here. We are about to rebuild the Holloman elementary school -- and the city has partnered to build a family fun center and bowling alley complex which will open soon, so we are trying!
I bought my home in the northeast part of town -- near NSMU/Alamogordo -- for a fraction of what I would have had to pay back home in Oregon, and there were several to choose from in my bracket, under $140K. I was a little nervous about the housing surplus, but I have to say that several homes on the market in my neighborhood just last fall have sold, and much of the area is tightening up, which is a good thing.
I may just pass your comments on to both my city commissioner and the school board. They simply have to know Air Force families are asking these questions and having these concerns.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Bill View Post
Passingthru, I wish I knew something about Alamo High School but I don't, being divorced, 65 and a newcomer to Alamogordo (arrived last September). If the school does have a bad reputation among Air Force families, we've got to fix it as our community needs you and wants you to want to come here, stay here, and retire here. We are about to rebuild the Holloman elementary school -- and the city has partnered to build a family fun center and bowling alley complex which will open soon, so we are trying!
I bought my home in the northeast part of town -- near NSMU/Alamogordo -- for a fraction of what I would have had to pay back home in Oregon, and there were several to choose from in my bracket, under $140K. I was a little nervous about the housing surplus, but I have to say that several homes on the market in my neighborhood just last fall have sold, and much of the area is tightening up, which is a good thing.
I may just pass your comments on to both my city commissioner and the school board. They simply have to know Air Force families are asking these questions and having these concerns.
Greetings Oregon Bill :-)
Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's great news hearing that the community is interested in growing and supporting family's. I look forward to coming back and living a quiet life away from the city.

You are welcome to pass my comments along to the city of Alamo. It's disheartening that some mil spouses feel that the school is dangerous if it is in fact not. I know that all areas and schools have their challenges but wanted to hear some non-military opinions on the high school as well. I appreciate the information you have provided me.
Thank you for your time.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:10 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times

Oregon Bill - it sounds like we're not only gonna be living in the same city, we're also gonna be living in the same neighborhood, too! We're planning on closing on a house in the same price range as yours and in the same neighborhood, too. We're gonna be just west of NMSU and just west of the Neighborhood Wal*Mart. GCRMC's Sleep Lab (my employer) is about a 5 minute walk from our house. How cool are those beans?

Passingthru321 - I'm sorry I don't have any information on how safe Alamogordo High School is, either, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for information on that. As it is for adults, I'll bet the High School is safe if the student tries to keep clean as well. The city is not a beautiful clean slate, but as I have told Oregon Bill, there's way more positivity about the city than negatives. I really enjoy working and living here, and, I'm aiming to just retire here in Alamogordo. Hope this helps you somewhat!

Old 03-25-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

Oregon Bill - it sounds like we're not only gonna be living in the same city, we're also gonna be living in the same neighborhood, too! We're planning on closing on a house in the same price range as yours and in the same neighborhood, too. We're gonna be just west of NMSU and just west of the Neighborhood Wal*Mart. GCRMC's Sleep Lab (my employer) is about a 5 minute walk from our house. How cool are those beans?

Passingthru321 - I'm sorry I don't have any information on how safe Alamogordo High School is, either, but I'll keep my eyes and ears open for information on that. As it is for adults, I'll bet the High School is safe if the student tries to keep clean as well. The city is not a beautiful clean slate, but as I have told Oregon Bill, there's way more positivity about the city than negatives. I really enjoy working and living here, and, I'm aiming to just retire here in Alamogordo. Hope this helps you somewhat!
Thank you! I appreciate the reply.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:56 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Thank you! I appreciate the reply.

No problem, Passingthru321, I think we can all learn more about a place by sharing the information about it with everyone on forums like this. My wife and I continue to learn more about this place and learn more about places to shop and places to play, etc, as we go along.

Like I said, though, we don't have any kids with us here and so don't know about the High School here. I'll keep an open ear and let you know what I learn, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico