Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 12:39 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Could be. I did recently see a police unduly harrassing an Indian guy on a bicycle - a guy who was obviously a computer geek and whose only infraction seemed to be not stopping at a stop sign. But the cop was screaming and yelling at him, made him sit on the sidewalk, etc. All that usual over-the-top U.S. police nonsense.
Interestingly enough, I have traveled up to there and San Jose in the distant past to see cousins. Of course over the years, distances grew further and there was never enough time to venture up there. We all grew old, kept in touch briefly with social media, and then they dropped out of sight once they got married.

Of course they probably had an easier time up there due to being mixed, Chinese and Anglo-Americano heritage. Tall, and slightly Asiatic looking probably kept alot of unwanted PD attention off of them knock-on-wood.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Anecdotal was the wrong word. I mean "one-offs"/outliers. Per-capita crime in Sunnyvale is orders of magnitude less than in Albuquerque. You posted Sunnyvale statistics without posting comparative Abq stats. Not a scientific way to approach it.

Could be. I did recently see a police unduly harrassing an Indian guy on a bicycle - a guy who was obviously a computer geek and whose only infraction seemed to be not stopping at a stop sign. But the cop was screaming and yelling at him, made him sit on the sidewalk, etc. All that usual over-the-top U.S. police nonsense.
Of course "unduly harrassing an Indian guy"...

Sure, they are easy to spot, "a guy who was obviously a computer geek"

And you are of course able to observe, "whose only infraction seemed to be"

"All that usual over-the-top U.S. police nonsense." Yes, yes, yes, I fully understand what you are saying (not)...

Old 10-18-2018, 10:09 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Sunnyvale is too full of Yuppys for my taste.

And the typical home there is nearly $2M

Old 11-09-2018, 12:33 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
"All that usual over-the-top U.S. police nonsense." Yes, yes, yes, I fully understand what you are saying (not)...
You understand, you just don't want to agree.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:36 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Sunnyvale is too full of Yuppys for my taste.
Sort of. Actually the number of white American residents in Sunnyvale is about 20%; the rest are Chinese and Indian. So if "yuppies" means "white yuppies" (which is how I equate the term), then not really. But if you mean obnoxious, affluent, snobby people - then, yeah.

Old 11-09-2018, 07:42 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Sort of. Actually the number of white American residents in Sunnyvale is about 20%; the rest are Chinese and Indian. So if "yuppies" means "white yuppies" (which is how I equate the term), then not really. But if you mean obnoxious, affluent, snobby people - then, yeah.
The thread title is New Mexico is it a place to move to.

You are way off topic....

I am out of here.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm revealed View Post
I have studied NM in close detail. There is a lot of info on the best places to live in and move to. Everything I have seen is NM comes in last or close To last for many reasons. From 2010 to 2018 the rate of growth for NM has been stagnant (US Census). Very few people move to this state. The growth rate is about .5 percent. Most of the growth is from births. while the western states surrounding it are over 2%. Look at Santa Fe for example. It is the oldest capital in the US at over 400 years old. It only has a little over 70,000 residents. A little over 700-800 people moved their last year. Take Las Vegas for example, It has over 30K people move there every year. Phoenix has over 30k people mover their almost every year. Reno is only 160 years old and almost has 500k living there. Yeah everybody on here say Santa FE has culture is vibrant and folks want to live there. Most of the people living there are older richer adults. How come nobody moves there? Most of the young adults move from here for better places to live. Most of the counties are losing population except about 9 counties.

The state is not tax friendly either. Santa Fe has a 9% sales tax. The state taxes, income, social security, pensions, and everything else you may have. Property taxes are low because the value of homes are so low. Look at Albuquerque you can buy a place for 170K to 180k. Who wants to live there in a hell hole. Most of the state is a low life gang culture....sorry it is!

It also at 7200 feet in elevation.Much harder to do exercise activities at that elevation. In addition it has more intense sun, dryness and desert. Have you ever experienced the Southwest winds from march to June, 40-50 mph with humidities at 2-3 % Most of the state is desert with no trees. It also isolated and landlocked with the ocean about 900 miles away. No thank you, I like green green, rain and better socioeconomic conditions you can attain elsewhere!!!

The reasons NM is stagnant due to many factors. It has the highest personal crime rate in the nation. It also has the second highest poverty rate. The education system the state gets a D-. About 69% of kids graduate from high school. NM ranked second worst for education, childcare and socioeconomics. It also ranked last for affordability. Recently Wallethub ranked all 50 states for best places to raise a child. NM came in 50, dead last. Why would anyone move to this state to raise a child? The state also has the highest amount of alcohol use and it shows with the most DUI's of any state. These are all facts and they cannot be disputed. Who cares about balloon races, sunsets, good food and beautiful deserts when everything else sucks. Really, I can get these amenities elsewhere and feel proud where I live.

I visited Boulder , Co where my daughter lives. It is the most vibrant downtown I have ever seen. An architect designed the downtown as a central point for those living there to congregate. Everyone goes there day and night to socialize, eat, shop, gather and enjoy the nightlife. It is a college town with the most beautiful campus I have ever seen. All the Bldgs are made of sandstone brick. This city has high tech jobs and has the most PHDs of any city in the U.S. It is a very healthy city where everyone bikes around town. The school systems are great and is listed as one of the best places live and raise a family. NM and Santa Fe people cannot compare in any way close. The surrounding area is green with grass, trees, lakes, rivers and streams everywhere. Sorry NM you can have your sunsets, starry nights, balloons and deserts, I choose tol live elsewhere where it is safe!
I am guessing you are no longer reading this, but if you are, don't put too much into what you read based on studies or whatever. Here is an example: AR also rates low in many categories and yet, based on other studies it is one of the best places to start a business, one of the best for retirement and some regions, are rated high when it comes to safety.

Of course NM has a low rating when it comes to education, rural states normally do.

Affordability: can't believe they are not rated high.

So, you can choose to live where you want, there are things about NM that are not the best and we certainly found them when we lived there, but it certainly isn't even half as bad as you make it out to be.

YOu can search and search and always find fault with places to live. There are wonderful places to live in NM, you just have to look for the good, not dwell on the bad.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Anyone from the Belen area might take exception! As well as those who live on the farmed land along the Rio Grande.
You are right: We lived for 7 year in Rio Communities just across the river from Belen. Don't forget Los Lunas as well. When we left it was growing fast and a good place to raise kids.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:32 PM

18,217 posts, read 25,857,597 times
A few notes from the college/pro football mod--

We don't have a mod assigned to the state and city forums of New Mexico. I was in Albuquerque away from the board for several days when this thread started.

Post #8 is right, though the OP did sign on for a few days afterwards. I'm always wary of an individual who "dumps and runs." Not returning to answer the questions put to him/her tells me all I need to know about the OP.

I might be the only mod who has moteled in NM from Farmington to Jal, from Lordsburg to Clayton, from Las Cruces to Raton. In fact, I lived in Raton/Tucumcari/Hobbs for the better half of 1982 and some of 1983 and worked a 181 mile pipeline that entered New Mexico just east of Capulin and exited southeast of Lovington. Loved it!

And on THAT note--I believe this thread should go nighty night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico