Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:57 AM

724 posts, read 503,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Man, I LOVE walking into those kinds of places! I like people in general, and I've seen some of the most ornery cusses smile and get pleasant when you're polite and respectful of 'em. I've found that if I go in there with a smile and an open mind, I can usually meet some of the most interesting folks - and their stories are worth the effort! Yeah - I get some leery looks, but by showing interest in the locals and their stories, I've generally gotten along well.

Now, if you go into one of these places thinkin' you're "**** of the Walk", yeah - hold on, because someone's VERY liable to show you the error of your ways.....and you deserve it.

But - I have to ask.....WHY? WHY would you go around hoping to film bar fights? Is it to promote some pre-conceived idea about how unfriendly NM people are? Or that they're trouble makers? Would seem to me that if you're going to do an HONEST documentary, you'd go in there with a camera rolling (WITH PRIOR PERMISSION), and document what you honestly see in terms of interaction.

I most certainly do not wish to promote any preconceived ideas about the residents of New Mexico . On the contrary I am looking to make a documentary concerning the issue of violence in the United States , much like Michael Moore did with Bowling for Columbine , just without the partisan political aspect .

Oh and I'm not so much interested in filming bar fights as I am in making a documentary about the culture surrounding the phenomenon if you will , though I wouldn't be against the idea of filming a few bar fights of ( more or less ) friendly nature as long as all parties were to consent and no legal issues were to ensue .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Once Chico and the Man get likkered up enough, you're bound to see some brawling.

May I ask what you mean by this reference ? I actually just watched the video linked in response to your reply and I wasn't able to figure it out , which is why I'm curious .

Old 10-23-2018, 05:57 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
May I ask what you mean by this reference ? I actually just watched the video linked in response to your reply and I wasn't able to figure it out , which is why I'm curious .
It makes no sense.. It's just a intro segment from the 1970's "Chico and the Man" TV Series.

A description of the TV series is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_and_the_Man

Old 10-24-2018, 02:23 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It makes no sense.. It's just a intro segment from the 1970's "Chico and the Man" TV Series.

A description of the TV series is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chico_and_the_Man
Sadly, I suspect that the original reference to "once Chico and the Man get likkered up" probably has a lot to do with this detail about the show:

It was the first U.S. television series set in a Mexican-American neighborhood.

If I'm correct, I highly doubt lluvia will ever be back to explain his or her comment.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Once Chico and the Man get likkered up enough, you're bound to see some brawling.
You are way off topic and incorrect... I wonder... "Chico and the Man" TV Series takes place in an East Los Angeles barrio....

Old 11-09-2018, 12:31 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
I am looking to make a documentary concerning the issue of violence in the United States
You need to research the violence on the Indian reservations (an aspect of life well-known to those living there and virtually unknown to those who don't) and in the Hispanic barrios around the country, including NM.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
You need to research the violence on the Indian reservations (an aspect of life well-known to those living there and virtually unknown to those who don't) and in the Hispanic barrios around the country, including NM.
Way to go 80skeys, pick on the Native Americans and Hispanics, while you hide in your Sunnyvale Barrio in Cal-eforn-eia...

Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Back in the late 90s there was an article in the Rock Mountain News about violence against Native Americans - the only ethnic group to be more likely to be attacked by a white man than the other way around. Usually, in the reservation border towns there is a higher-than-normal amount of white racism against Native Americans. In this demographic pattern, the racism goes like this:

* The Native American is a homely coward and I can bully him whenever I feel like it. This mindset leads to bullying behavior - picking a fight with theIndian in the belief that defeat is impossible for a white supremacist of much higher social status.
* The Native American actually stands up for himself, fights back and wins - but now the Indian is a "savage" for beating up the white man who started the fight in the first place.
* Meanwhile, the white man remains in a social status of "smarter, athletically superior, and of much higher social status" - win or lose.

This mindset is also common in the corporate engineering world - the desire to bully the Native American for some sort of narcisstic self gratification - the proud racist white man who is stronger and smarter.

To be fair, once you get away from the reservations the pattern of racism above fades or disappears - like in some parts of liberal California, Texas, the East Coast or Florida. But in the Four Corners the type of white racism described above is common knowledge. The same goes for white towns near the Plains Indians in the Dakotas and Montana. We are so used to that pattern of racism it has gotten to the point where we can spot it a mile away if an arrogant white man is in proximity with a recalcitrant desire to bully Native Americans for the sake of white supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGAdzn5_KU

Old 11-14-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Back in the late 90s there was an article in the Rock Mountain News about violence against Native Americans - the only ethnic group to be more likely to be attacked by a white man than the other way around. Usually, in the reservation border towns there is a higher-than-normal amount of white racism against Native Americans. In this demographic pattern, the racism goes like this:

* The Native American is a homely coward and I can bully him whenever I feel like it. This mindset leads to bullying behavior - picking a fight with theIndian in the belief that defeat is impossible for a white supremacist of much higher social status.
* The Native American actually stands up for himself, fights back and wins - but now the Indian is a "savage" for beating up the white man who started the fight in the first place.
* Meanwhile, the white man remains in a social status of "smarter, athletically superior, and of much higher social status" - win or lose.

This mindset is also common in the corporate engineering world - the desire to bully the Native American for some sort of narcisstic self gratification - the proud racist white man who is stronger and smarter.

To be fair, once you get away from the reservations the pattern of racism above fades or disappears - like in some parts of liberal California, Texas, the East Coast or Florida. But in the Four Corners the type of white racism described above is common knowledge. The same goes for white towns near the Plains Indians in the Dakotas and Montana. We are so used to that pattern of racism it has gotten to the point where we can spot it a mile away if an arrogant white man is in proximity with a recalcitrant desire to bully Native Americans for the sake of white supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWGAdzn5_KU

Do fights of this nature occur in the form of bar brawls ? If so then how frequently ?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Do fights of this nature occur in the form of bar brawls ? If so then how frequently ?
I'm not sure Mr. Fauquier , You may have to get a life of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico