Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 PM

77 posts, read 62,785 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what cool walkable areas there are in New Mexican cities, where there's a lot of unique stores, restaurants, and bars clustered in an urban setting? I'm driving out next week, I plan on stopping in Santa Fe first, then Albuquerque, then White Sands and Possibly Las Cruces and El Paso (not NM, I know).

Areas that are popular with hipsters too, I don't know if that's the right word, but just sort of hip areas as well.

Santa Fe has a beautiful looking old town I'm planning on checking out, same with Albuquerque, but I don't really know much else and I don't want to miss anything. The southwest is my favorite part of the country and I don't really want to miss out on really seeing the cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:39 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,279,548 times
I don't think anything in the state can rival downtown Santa Fe for walkable stuff to do.

Albuquerque old town, Old Mesilla Plaza (Las Cruces) and the newly rejuvenated Las Cruces downtown mall (hipster central these days) are others. Silver City is kinda neat too but small.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Définîtes:

Santa Fe - https://santafe.org/
Historic Old Town - Albuquerque Old Town
Albuquerque - https://www.visitalbuquerque.org/
Old Mesilla Plaza and Las Cruces. A 220 (I-25) to 280 (highways 380, 54 and 70) mile drive from Albuquerque, Try both ways.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Albu...32.3199396!3e0

I have not been to El Paso for about 20 years, it has grown a lot since my visits years before that.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:40 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,453,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
I was wondering what cool walkable areas there are in New Mexican cities, where there's a lot of unique stores, restaurants, and bars clustered in an urban setting? I'm driving out next week, I plan on stopping in Santa Fe first, then Albuquerque, then White Sands and Possibly Las Cruces and El Paso (not NM, I know).

Areas that are popular with hipsters too, I don't know if that's the right word, but just sort of hip areas as well.

Santa Fe has a beautiful looking old town I'm planning on checking out, same with Albuquerque, but I don't really know much else and I don't want to miss anything. The southwest is my favorite part of the country and I don't really want to miss out on really seeing the cities.
You'll want to hit up Nob Hill and Downtown in Albuquerque as well as Old Town. The Sawmill/Mountain Road area north of Old Town is pretty cool, as is the West Central area just south of Old Town.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wy307 View Post
I was wondering what cool walkable areas there are in New Mexican cities,
There's almost no walkability in any of those cities. The closest would be Santa Fe, but only if you live right around the Plaza. Maybe Nob Hill in Albuquerque but that's kinda stretching it.

Quote:
Pretty much just Santa Fe Plaza area for that.

Quote:
but I don't really know much else and I don't want to miss anything. The southwest is my favorite part of the country and I don't really want to miss out on really seeing the cities.
For Santa Fe, the Plaza, the art galleries around it, and if you're into hiking then the trails that are up in the mountains 10 minutes away.

For Albuquerque, the Tramway, and the Petroglyphs. If you're into food, then Frontier Restaurant on Central (I still consider it by far the best NM food.)
Been a long time since I've been to Cruces or El Paso but have been told my friends that there's more stuff to do in Albq than El Paso.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:51 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
Santa Fe has the Plaza and Canyon Road. Albuquerque has Old Town and the university Nob Hill area, maybe Uptown. Las Cruces has Old Mesilla area. There are cool places in each town that might not be very walkable. There are dozens of day hike areas in these places if that is what you might want.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
There's almost no walkability in any of those cities. The closest would be Santa Fe, but only if you live right around the Plaza. Maybe Nob Hill in Albuquerque but that's kinda stretching it.
You haven't lived here in more than 20 years, right? Albuquerque has several fairly walkable neighborhoods with fun stuff to do at this point, including:

Nob Hill

UNM

Old Town/West Central/Sawmill

Downtown

All of these ABQ neighborhoods compare favorably to many of the Bay Area neighborhoods you're familiar with now, such as (for example) Sunnyvale, CA.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Santa Fe has the Plaza and Canyon Road. Albuquerque has Old Town and the university Nob Hill area, maybe Uptown. Las Cruces has Old Mesilla area. There are cool places in each town that might not be very walkable. There are dozens of day hike areas in these places if that is what you might want.
As far as Santa Fe goes, the Railyard area is also very walkable, with galleries and museums, a big weekend farmer's market, and lots of interesting shops and restaurants along Guadalupe Street. (Don't be put off by the touristy websites!) It's only about a halfmile walk from this area to the plaza, and can even be accessed by commuter rail from downtown Albuquerque.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:53 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times
Albuquerque Walking Trails: https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...777890625!5i11

Old 09-11-2019, 09:01 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,235,049 times
I have always enjoyed bicycling in the Huning Castle neighborhood in Albuquerque....I"m sure it's just as nice walking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico