Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 09:05 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times

Advertisements

never heard of such a thing. apparently they were introduced into southern colorado in the '90s.

Quote:
New Mexico Game and Fish believe the latest moose to be sighted in New Mexico is the same one that’s been spotted before. People in Mora were surprised this week to see a moose hanging around the area. The moose has also been spotted in the area between Mora and Las Vegas.

New Mexico Game and Fish think the recently spotted moose is the same one that was seen on October 3 in Questa. That same moose has also been spotted in Taos Pueblo on October 14.
https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...in-new-mexico/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 04:26 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Amazing what you can do with four legs.

Old 11-05-2022, 05:54 PM

11,077 posts, read 6,887,781 times
OMG this is so cool. I wonder if he was in the back woods or closer to the highway (518). I must text my friend and see if anyone he knows saw the moose. Mora is small. Just a long wide spot in the road. He must have gone up the hill toward Ledoux. That whole area got leveled by fires so he probably kept going toward Sapello.

Old 11-08-2022, 09:27 AM

146 posts, read 152,448 times
"Jesse why did you bring a moose into the lab? How did you even get it?"

Old 12-20-2022, 08:10 PM

5,038 posts, read 7,417,088 times
A different moose has been spotted near Santa Fe, which is now the southernmost moose sighting (southernmoost?):

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/south...-ski-santa-fe/

Quote from the story:

“We have at least two moose on the loose this year,” said Darr.

This moose is estimated to be three to four years old and close to 1,000 pounds. It’s bigger and older than the moose named Marty seen further north.

“Well now we need folks’ help to track two!” Darr said.

A rare sighting and a memorable day. Now, another moose is somewhere in the Sangre de Cristos.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:15 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
A different moose has been spotted near Santa Fe, which is now the southernmost moose sighting (southernmoost?):

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico/south...-ski-santa-fe/

Quote from the story:

“We have at least two moose on the loose this year,” said Darr.

This moose is estimated to be three to four years old and close to 1,000 pounds. It’s bigger and older than the moose named Marty seen further north.

“Well now we need folks’ help to track two!” Darr said.

A rare sighting and a memorable day. Now, another moose is somewhere in the Sangre de Cristos.

one spotted near tesuque - probably the same one.

https://www.krqe.com/news/environmen...ue-new-mexico/

Old 09-12-2023, 11:38 AM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
They are all over CO. I think they were introduced in the 70s up by Grand Lake / Steamboat and have wandered all throughout the state in the wet / marshy alpine areas. We saw six of them last winter snowmobiling by Taylor Park Reservoir. They've even wandered out on the front range. I'm sure there's several in the Tusas Mountains, just nobody is up there to see them. It's pretty cool to see them, but they are scary if you're on foot, more dangerous than a grizzly, but so majestic!

Next thing coming in is wolves. I think they are working with the Southern Ute on the rollout, and that's right next to the Tusas mountains. They'll be around in the next 5-10 years.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:52 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
More human interference. I just don't understand. In southern New Mexico the Oryx was introduced into the flora here in the 1970s because someone in fish and game department thought it was a good idea. When I worked at Holloman AFB many years ago, there were multiple occasions where military Jeep met Oryx. No winners in that collision.

Old 09-14-2023, 02:58 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
More human interference. I just don't understand. In southern New Mexico the Oryx was introduced into the flora here in the 1970s because someone in fish and game department thought it was a good idea. When I worked at Holloman AFB many years ago, there were multiple occasions where military Jeep met Oryx. No winners in that collision.
Now that is cool!!! Damn are they still there? I want to see them!

There is no more "completely natural" habitat - otherwise there'd be jaguars roaming around that area as well.

Old 09-15-2023, 08:33 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Now that is cool!!! Damn are they still there? I want to see them!

There is no more "completely natural" habitat - otherwise there'd be jaguars roaming around that area as well.
If you are lucky you might see one on the stretch of 70 between WSMR and Holloman off road. I've seen maybe 2 in 17 years. They were much more pervasive deep into Holloman though. One time I was doing some resource grade survey work near the test track at Holloman, and I encountered a herd of them. One of them (the alpha) was just staring me down. The executive officer later told me that if that ever happened again to cease work immediately and leave as quickly and as quietly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico