Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Actually there is such an attitude, in school. Some kids do poorly and they don't like the brighter kids making them look stupid so they try to make other students believe that being smart is nerdy and un-cool. It's along the same lines as saying that squealing is bad.
Yeah, wouldn't the world be a terrific place if everybody was a genius? It's all because of those darn kids who hate spelling and grammar...

You describe the world as a white and black place where there is a clear delineation between these "brighter kids" and "other students." Grammar appears to be your litmus test for finding the bright ones. It reminds me of my oldest brother's 9th grade science teacher who told him that he'd never amount to anything because his lab notebook wasn't perfectly organized. That brother is now in medical school. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Quote:
That goes for thread titles too, like "need help" or "got a problem." Mr. "got a problem" has got a problem getting enough neurons to fire at the same time and collect his thoughts coherently enough to describe the thread topic in several words.
By the time you see his thread, you've already navigated to this website, logged in and clicked on a particular subforum, but to actually have to OPEN a thread to see what it's about? My gosh, what a waste of time. If you're spending time browsing City-Data, it's obvious that you've got better things to do than read posts.

But yes, clearly Mr. "Got a Problem" is mentally deficient.

Quote:
Why don't you just text your posts and I'll refuse to read them or reply to them? Then we'll both be happy!
My texts read exactly like the posts you see here. Sorry.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatTNGuy View Post
If you're spending time browsing City-Data, it's obvious that you've got better things to do than read posts.
Actually, if I'm spending time browsing City-Data, it's obvious that I haven't got better things to do than read posts.

If I did I'd be doing them.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:35 PM

611 posts, read 1,459,344 times
Well, I was actually kidding, but oh well...

Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 PM

70 posts, read 214,175 times
Yes, I'm guilty. I've capatilized every word when in a hurry. I often misspell words. I am a terrible speller. I love spell check. Where is the spell check on this forum?
As an Art teacher I sometimes assigned written work. When my students spell incorrectly, use poor grammer, and create run on sentences, I lowered their grade. They said that it was not fair because it's only Art. I told them that reading and writing well in every subject is important. A well written post is something that many would want to read. Bacich

Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Good point Bacich.

As far as spell checking, it's in the browser not in the forum. Get Firefox and it will underline in red words that it thinks you misspelled.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:28 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Let's just assume that we're all a bunch of idiots and do whatever we want to do.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:25 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
let's just assume that we're all a bunch of idiots and do whatever we want to do. :d
yes!

Old 07-15-2008, 11:42 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,028,666 times
You know what?

I started this thread to discuss using care in posting thread titles.

Somehow it has declined into some pretty silly arguments and comments...in my opinion.

I will ask everyone again to use some thought and care in naming your thread titles, so that it will reflect well on City-Data Forum and the New Mexico forums especially.

I really see no need for this thread to continue to decline into an argument about whether proper English, spelling, grammar, etc. is necessary for posting on the internet, so I am going to close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico