Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Woooo Hoooooo!!!!!!! Darn I wish I woulda had a team like they've had lately back in the 80's when I was there. We sucked. Bad.
Congrats on your alma matter TKO. They beat a powerful undefeated Eldorado team and also Mayfield twice in one season to finish 13-0 is great.

I remember those great Alamogordo teams in the 80's as they and Clovis and Roswell would be ranked #1 #2 and #3 year after year all from the same district back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Thanks!

Yup, I recall one Howard Jackson from Alamo who was the best running back anybody had seen in NM football. And Alamo is certainly west of the Sacs. 4:42 AM, what the heck was I even doing up? Cranky to boot. I'd like to edit my post but I missed that window of opportunity. Even less offense meant than when I typed it. Apologies.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 PM

261 posts, read 936,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Football was NOT a big deal in Las Cruces during the 70's or 80's. It just wasn't.

sjbasin, no offense (well at least not any more than you intended) but were you a nerd? People like to support the kids here. No one who's 45 ever had any grid iron glory in southern NM (eastern is another story). I didn't play but did attend Cruces High and many of my has been friends did play. Fact is, however, their relived glory was more likely to be Saturday night than Friday :O. Even with the winning, it still nothing like the rabid friday night lights business here in Cruces, that's all east of the Guadalupes/Sacramentos. As for 5A it was allll Alb back in the day and though they were good and typically won, they weren't all that rabid either.

Hobbs, Artesia, Loving, Jal..... football is religion in that part of the state. You can call it "eastern", up here everything below Albuquerque is considered "southern", regardless of whether it's on the east or west side. Semantics.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Hobbs, Artesia, Loving, Jal..... football is religion in that part of the state. You can call it "eastern", up here everything below Albuquerque is considered "southern", regardless of whether it's on the east or west side. Semantics.
A. I apologized in the post right above yours for being a little short.

B. We know we're ignored by everyone north of Los Lunas. Par for the course. When you spend time here, however, you see it's very, very different. They don't call the east part of the state lil' Texas for nothing. That doesn't at all apply to Cruces. We never voted for Pearce!

Old 12-08-2008, 06:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Nice to see Football is growing in the Albuquerque schools as they had large crowds all year at the games and also had the largest crowd at Wilson stadium since 1996 between El Dorado and Las Cruces. I think the new high schools are adding to the excitement i.e. Volcano Vista H.S. on the west side and Valencia H.S. in Los Lunas this year and the other new west side school Atrisco H.S. and the new Rio Rancho school Cleveland H.S.will play next year.

APS has really modernized the 2 stadiums (Wilson and Milne) up there and they are breaking ground on the new ''Field of dreams'' stadium and sports complex at I-40 and Paseo Volcan as that is good for Albuquerque and New Mexico.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:14 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
I never understood people (the Albuquerque Journal) referring to Clovis as the "South" (I know you didn't include them in your post). On the map it looks like they are actually closer to the northern NM border than the southern NM border. Growing up in Las Cruces, I never considered Clovis part of southern NM. More a matter of perspective than semantics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico