Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

Socorro is sounding better and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 04:03 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Socorro's tight-knit enough that there's not much of a web presence when it comes to places up for rent; their student center physical bulletin boards ...
It sounds just like the UNM student ghetto.

Get on a bike or walk the areas nearby - looking for signs posted
out in the front yard and write down phone numbers. It's the best
way to get housing at UNM and it sounds like it is there in Socorro.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 8,168 times
Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I was able to get a one bedroom apartment with the school and it's only 2 blocks away!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:14 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Good luck on you journey through an awesome school! What are you going to major in?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I hope you brought warm clothes. The sunny SW is way colder than NH the last two mornings.

Even with the unexpected cold I would appreciate the lack of humidity. Right now it is about 45 deg with light rain and my joints are complaining.

I would also like to know what you are studying.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm majoring in Petroleum Engineering. I don't think the nightlife is going to be important for me, since I'm probably going to have to study on the weekends. lol

I'm going to go shopping for winter clothes in the next couple of weeks.

I forgot to ask one important question. There's a possibility that I might not have a car once I arrive. Apparently, I can only get dropped off at the airport in ABQ. Is there a bus or anything that can drop me off in Socorro?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
You have a number of options:

*Zipcar. Take the airport bus to UNM's campus, rent a car by the hour. May prove more useful than a daily/weekly rental car, particularly if you don't want to limit yourself to buying the essentials (bedding, etc.) at a small Wal-mart and not much else.

*Socorro Taxi. Most expensive, most flexible.

*Shuttle to Rail Runner Station, Rail runner to Belen, City-operated shuttle from Belen. Recommended.

I believe there's a greyhound station in Socorro, but there's no good reason to use it for an airport trip. In addition to being more expensive, less frequent, etc., the station in Socorro (usually a gas station on the S end of town) is too far to walk from the campus, particularly in the cold, with bags. The aforementioned Rail Runner shuttle takes you directly to the campus.

If there's one single destination techies go to on the weekends, it's Albuquerque. You will no doubt be able to share rides, particularly if you make friends and you're generous with the gas money.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM

I know it's a little off topic, but any winter wear recommendations?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:16 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
That is not really off topic and probably important to be aware of. For tomorrow 41°F high and 19°F low, sunny, with winds 4 to 7 mph: 10 Day Weather Forecast for Socorro - weather.com

If you have not read the news, New Mexico is experiencing some not so common winter storms...

Rich

Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Winter wear:

Recommend a moderate jacket, like something you'd spend $40 on at REI or $25 on at Walmart; don't need to dress in layers so much. A few long sleeved shirts might be money well spent.

Rain is very uncommon, so most people do without umbrellas even when it does rain (makes you a target for lightning which is unfortunately one of the leading causes of death on campus).

Main thing you need to concern yourself with is just dry cold. Regular athletic socks and shoes are fine most of the time. Can also break out the hiking boots if you want but they don't tend to be necessary. CS majors inexplicably keep their shorts and flipflops on; looks uncomfortable.

As a Petroleum Eng. you may want to ruggedize your wear a bit for field labs, etc.

Oh, and don't forget sunglasses. NM is almost uniquely bright and sunny in the winter. It can be 10 out and still ridiculously bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico