Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 AM

96 posts, read 289,951 times

Advertisements

In Bless Me Ultima, the classic New Mexican novel by Rudolfo Anaya, the owl is a very important symbol. Basically everything said in this thread about owls is backed up by that book. In Spanish that type of owl is called a lechuza. Have any of you heard when the Bless Me Ultima movie is going to be released?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:55 PM

167 posts, read 598,512 times
I loved that book "Bless me Ultima" though its been awhile since I have read it, perhaps a trip to the library is in order.

The movie will be released sometime this year, I wish I had more specific details.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
Default Elephant Butte Reservoir hauntings.

Laugh and crack jokes if you will, but my brother was camping there this weekend and one of his friends showed him a picture of an apparition taken by the water of a little girl.
I did some looking around and came across the mention of the "Robinson Girls" from the 1930s that supposedly either drowned in the lake or were murdered near there.
Couldn't find anymore things about this anywhere else and wonder if anyone else has ever heard of this occurrence.
Take it with a grain of salt, but a good ghost story will always keep anyone going.
And if this occurrence was an actual thing that happened, then the story behind would be an awesome tale to listen to as well.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
La Llorona (or as we knew her; Lady Llorona) was a well known legend in rural Valencia County and somewhat useful to keep kids from playing in the irrigation canals and river.
An interesting version from the web site: La Llorona - Weeping Ghost of the Southwest

Quote:
GHOSTLY LEGENDS & MYSTERIES

The legend of La Llorona (pronounced "LAH yoh ROH nah"), Spanish for the Weeping Woman, has been a part of Hispanic culture in the Southwest since the days of the conquistadores. The tall, thin spirit is said to be blessed with natural beauty and long flowing black hair. Wearing a white gown, she roams the rivers and creeks, wailing into the night and searching for children to drag, screaming to a watery grave.

Rich

Old 12-31-2011, 05:32 AM

11 posts, read 18,100 times
My great uncle was not a yarnspinner, died at age 99 in 1984 (volunteered to go to WWI as he was in his 30's and too old to be drafted...), told me a story once, when he was growing up (Northern NM, near Chama, NM), he was pasturing some sheep near the Navajo country. He was looking for some strays and saw a Navajo woman ahead, he rode his horse up to her and she ducked into the brush and outside the brush came out a coyote running, he chased the coyote and it ran into a hogan and from the hogan blew out some smoke (fire chimney). When he looked inside the hogan, it was empty... I described that to some Navajo coworkers when I worked in the 4 corners and none were surprised, said it was a skinwalker..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
heh

My Llorona - YouTube

Old 04-28-2018, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
April 28, 2018

I am a native of New Mexico--believe EVERYTHING you have heard about sorcery (enchantment) and witchcraft. Witches, warlocks, werewolves and vampires are REAL. After giving my life to Christ in 1991, I had no idea the HELL that was awaiting me from both relatives and strangers. I tried to help the ex-husband (Guy McIntyre), who grew up in the North Valley. His family wasn't worth a sh--, so he got ensnared by drugs and gangs (typical). He explained that when a person uses drugs, he/she actually enters the spirit world. If people don't believe in SATAN, drugs will certainly give you an education. My paternal grandmother (Mary Martinez) was a real witch from Mora--she cursed me and many others. She hated my mother's family (Trambley), but my psycho dad added fuel to the fire by raping her....hoping she would produce offspring with red hair and green eyes for him. (Brujeria, covens, Santeria, voodoo, black magic, etc. are not to be taken lightly.) Grandpa Pacheco was entangled by the Martinez witch--she corrupted the entire family. Be warned....living with a family curse is no small matter.

1. For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
2. Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. Rev. 22:14-15
3. Do not allow a sorceress to live. Exodus 22:18

Note: God doesn't care about your failures--He offers you forgiveness so you can begin again and experience a better life. Stay away from people and religious denominations that exploit you, because His grace is 100% FREE of charge.

Blessings,

K. McIntyre

Last edited by kmcintyre1; 04-28-2018 at 09:42 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 05:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
May the FORCE be with you!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:56 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
Dont know if there is a similar thread such as this ( with the exception of the skinwalker thread) but I would love to hear about the stories behind say the pilgramage to Chimayo, magical "cures", what the milagros mean, and any and all such things whether Native American, Hispanic, or what not.

Stories and legends welcomed!!!
Get yourself a book called Benigna's Chimayo and get yourself another book called Corn Woman. Written by locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico