Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,889 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Roswell's SE section known as chiwawita ville (pardon the spelling) or the devils triangle to those of us that don't speak Spanglish.
Check [mod]link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed[/mod] They will give you the crime rate, comparative cost of living, etc for any city in the US.
If you can handle the cold and snow, I recommend Madison WI. Moderate crime rate, and high ratio of Drs. per capita. There are many pleasant walking/bicycle trails, parks, lakes, and unlimited shopping. The cost of living is similar to Roswell. Move to the outskirts for cheaper housing, and lower crime rates. City buses, and cabs lace the city.
Roswell's crime rate is outrageous, but the cost of living is reasonable. If you are looking for a place to retire, there are safe neighborhoods. Most of the crime is located in the poor neighborhoods in the triangle, or at the Roswell Air base.
Housing prices have continued to rise despite the 60% decline in sales this year, down 120% from 2007. There are many beautiful homes in good neighborhoods, for less than $200,000, with a number below $100,000. There are gated communities for your security as well.
If you are looking for a job, this is not a good place. Roswell is the 2nd poorest city in NM, which is listed as the 4th poorest in the country.
Most of the employed people are in the service industries, usually holding several part time jobs with no insurance. The cheese factory and Christmas by Krebs pay fair wages and insurance, as well as AAR an aircraft salvage company. There are several employers that pay slightly above minimum wage.
The drug trade employs a substantial number of entrepreneurs with guaranteed room and board and health care/rehab when they get caught. In a country with a weight problem, it's amazing how many skeletal people with the shakes, and/or scabs on their faces and arms walk the streets here.
Like most towns, we have the usual homeless, and transients. Since we no longer have any where for them to stay, you can usually find them in the many abandoned homes or under bridges.
Unfortunately the many churches in Roswell, spend most of their parishioners donations on bigger or more buildings, and sending missionaries to Africa, rather than helping the needy right here. This problem is common all over the US, with the exception of those churches with pastors who take most of the money to support their life style, or send it to the Mother Church. HMM! I seam to be getting off track!
Many poor families have 3 or more generations, or several different families living in the same home.
Often their are a number of illegals living in the home as well. Many of the farm workers are also illegals.
Language can be a problem here as well. Job preferences for Spanish speakers, not bilingual, does not mean that they must be fluent in English. My children had a teacher who spoke such badly accented English that only the Mexican children could understand her, and then only when she spoke Spanish.
Education is improving, with a larger percentage of teens graduating. The library is well stocked, and has computers for internet access. They do monitor what sites you go to in violation of Federal Law.
There are a number of free WIFI sites including Hastings, where you can buy the books you couldn't find at the library.
Cable TV, and high speed internet is higher than state average, but still reasonable.

Last edited by Yac; 11-19-2009 at 05:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:07 PM

28 posts, read 161,552 times
In some ways, it seems like Roswell is like the lawless wild west. It seems like there are way more drive by shootings, assaults, robberies and other crazy stuff than you would expect in a small, rural city. It's hard to say what the problem is. I think it's a combination of a complete disrespect or fear for the law and a police force that is probably underpaid and undermanned. You can kind of stay away from that stuff if you are careful not to live or hang out in the wrong neighborhoods and with the wrong people, but it seems like everyone in town knows someone who was murdered and you hear a lot of stories and even see a lot of strange stuff all the time. I've never heard the term crazy town, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's known as that.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
I don't think Chihuahuita (correct spelling) is the problem as far as Roswell goes. The enclave predates Roswell's founding, and it definitely has the hispanic characteristic, but it's not what makes Roswell a bad place to live.

Take a gander at the crime blotter and you'll see crime anywhere and everywhere in that town. It's a haven for people who claim "addiction to street drugs" as a disability and get a government-subsidized meth habit. The town's leadership worries more about making 50,000 in the census rather than running the 10,000 or so (my estimate) illegals and meth cases out of town.

I would feel safer in the worst, most dangerous neighborhood in Albuquerque than I would in any neighborhood in Roswell.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM

19 posts, read 107,779 times
Default Ctr

Roswell has always had a high crime rate. My parents told me stories about The Flamingo Bar, where there was always brawls and someone would be stabbed almost every weekend back in the 50's, 60's, which eventually led to its closing, correct me if im wrong, its been years since ive heard those stories.
I remember going to SouthPark Cemetary and seeing so many young graves, as young as 13 14, with pictures of them throwing their gang signs or holding a gun. It was quite a disturbing feeling.
I know now that Roswell does not have enough police force with one of the lowest police wages in the state, Roswell cannot keep or recruit officers. And the city leaders of which i think should be cleaned out, wont do a damned thing about it.
I last lived there in 98 and still wild as ever, I have a lot of family there and still tons of robberies and drivebuys. We used to call it lil albuquerque.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:24 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,590 times
Hmmm... I've always liked Roswell a lot. To me, it's one of the nicest looking cities in New Mexico, especially Southern/Eastern NM. Although, it does have crime, but I would think that you're fine as long as you use your head, same as any other place.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Hmmm... I've always liked Roswell a lot. To me, it's one of the nicest looking cities in New Mexico,
Huh?!

Here are some street views:

Old Base Housing. Google strategically omitted some culdesacs which are completely boarded up houses.

A historic house with Queen Anne architecture being left to blight

I think these are still for sale for about $8000 each.

Neighborhood in the north part of town.

Quote:
Although, it does have crime, but I would think that you're fine as long as you use your head, same as any other place.
I used to think that too. Let's just say I'm not planning on going back if I can help it.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:07 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,590 times
Dang!! I guess I haven't explored enough! lol. Hmm... Well, at least Main Street is nice! ha ha Some of those images remind me of Rural NY for some reason...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,235 times
Default So sad for my home town

I was born and raised in Roswell, NM. I was there as it struggles to recover from the closure of Walker Air Force Base.

I left Roswell four years ago. Housing was through the roof, crime was out of control and wages were extremely low. I still have a lot of family there and keep up on what's going on.

Don't kid yourself into thinking there is no crime in the more up-scale areas of town. I have family that live in the up-scale areas and have suffered constant break-ins and vandalism of vehicles, homes and neighboring businesses. Gangs and drugs are everywhere. Shots can be heard ringing out in all areas of town.

There are not enough police officers and the ones they have are very young and inexperienced. Just about every other community in New Mexico pays their police officers better.

Check out the police blotter on Roswell Daily Record online if you don't believe me.

Yes, Roswell is a very pretty little town. On the surface. I wouldn't go walking at night. You might get hit by a stray bullet.

I lived in a very nice part of town on the north side. When I woke up to find a dead man not 50 yards from my front lawn, I decided to sell my home and get out. It was the last straw for me. I raised my children there and once they were grown and gone I got out.

Also, it's a very "clickish" town. You have to know somebody. Fortunately, I had a lot of relatives and friends. I feel sorry for new residents who are not connected.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,057 times
I've lived in Roswell for four years. We live on the Northwest side of town, and have not had any problems with crime or break-ins. From everything I hear around town and read in the newspaper, the majority of the violent crimes are on the south side of town and are drug related. Roswell does have a high level of poverty. But, we also have a large population of church going, hard working, citizens that pour their energy into making Roswell a great place to live and raise a family. We have lived in many places in the U.S., and have found much to like here in Roswell.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Sounds just like anywhere else with a disfunctional economy. It also sounds like a change in government is needed. Some people on the town council are probably making a buck on the existing situation. Conditions can be changed if enough people want the change. Get new people in government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico