Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the New Mexico section need an "Off Topic" thread?
Yes! 18 62.07%
No way! 9 31.03%
I'm so confused! I can't decide! 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times

Advertisements

While looking through a few of your threads, it looks as though you might like having an "Off-Topic" or "Chatting" thread.

How about we put it to a vote!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:34 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
An "Off Topic" thread sounds like possibly a good idea, however I believe there will still be plenty of people who go off topic.

It would be nice if moderators could monitor, and move appropriate threads, however I truly believe that would be a pain.

I suppose if an "Off Topic" thread existed, then anyone could just say, "Hey 'Name of Person" that is off topic.

I am more disturbed about some of the name calling..... Some of the trolling...

Rich

Old 04-07-2009, 04:50 PM

3,557 posts, read 10,219,889 times
Anybody learn anything about Trader Joe's going into ABQ Uptown?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I like the idea of a chatting thread.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
An "Off Topic" thread sounds like possibly a good idea, however I believe there will still be plenty of people who go off topic.
It happens... Threads do tend to wander sometimes, but as long as they remain civil and the questions of the OP are still being answered it's not that big of a deal.

The whole purpose of a "Chatting" thread is to give the regulars a place to chit-chat and post whatever pops into their head. (And it doesn't have to pertain to NM or stay "on topic") In OK we talk about anything and everything!!

Quote:
It would be nice if moderators could monitor, and move appropriate threads, however I truly believe that would be a pain.
It isn't that much of a pain at all! But it would be a great help if the locals would use the report post button to give us a heads up. Even a simple "this thread belongs in the Santa Fe section" is GREAT. It alerts us to a problem so we can take care of it if need be. (And not ALL reported posts need attention. )

Quote:
I suppose if an "Off Topic" thread existed, then anyone could just say, "Hey 'Name of Person" that is off topic.
Possibly...but if they were just doing it to be snarky then THEIR post would be edited.

Quote:
I am more disturbed about some of the name calling..... Some of the trolling...
So are we. I am trying to get acquainted with the regulars via their posts, before any *house cleaning*

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Anybody learn anything about Trader Joe's going into ABQ Uptown?
I vote this for first post in the off topic section...

Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Since I tend to go off topic sometimes , I think it would be a great idea. We had one in San Antonio, Tx when I lived there.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,726,338 times
What's the protocol for an off topic thread? Is one required to stay with the off-topic topic until it runs it course, or can multiple off-topic topics run simultaneously? It could get confusing!

Old 04-07-2009, 09:30 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
I think a chat thread is sort of a good idea, however, there are some, including myself who have gone overboard and called people names or attacked their point of view. When this happens, the thread is usually shut down. If a thread turns into a political discussion, you'd see various disagreements where nothing will be resolved short of locking it up.

Devil's advocate, good idea/bad idea.

Please don't do too much "housecleaning", we like some of the threads presently going.

I like doing the T or C happenings and my T or C jobs threads because if anyone really, really gets fed up with their sante fe, farmington, or albuquerque jobs, or high crime rates, they might look here for a nice smaller town to relocate to. Plus there are some relocation threads I think should be kept in place just in case someone want's to relocate to New Mexico from another state.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 04-07-2009 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 PM

1,399 posts, read 4,180,577 times
For the most part, I think posts tend to be on topic, though it's natural for the human mind to shoot off on tangents when discussing a subject, as different ideas surface during the discussion. Why would this be a problem? In many cases where posts wander one can see the point of departure, and often it's a point raised that is connected to the subject of the thread.
While it may be desireable to have a "whatever" sticky thread I don't think it would get a lot of use. If thread hijacking was running rampant I might feel differently, but I don't think that's a common thing or a problem at this point....is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico