Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:29 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times

Advertisements

I somewhat surprised the only response from that focus group was not, 'why ask us, what do we know about a foreign country?'

Not sure what the NM tourism bureau is up to, other than probably seeking more funding and more tourists. But anyone envying Colorado and thinking tourism is a panacea should visit some of the more popular, and crowded, tourism sites in Colorado and New Mexico. Yes, there is money involved and to be made, although also the cost of certain necessary infrastructure.

The greater cost is always borne by the residents of these towns who may find themselves in the minority in season, and effectively displaced from their homes. They may still be living there, but the experience is something like having a residence in Disneyland and thinking that in anyway normal. One only returns to a semblance of that once the season ends and the hordes of tourists depart.

Aside from its natural beauty, one of the distinct attractions retained by New Mexico are its wide open spaces. Presumably much of that will be retained even if Santa Fe becomes more crowded. However ask anyone hiking near Albuquerque what the proximity of a large number of people does to trail density and commensurate rules and regulations. This applies to roads as well. As all a question of balance.

With a long standing challenge is sectors of its economy, many citizens in New Mexico would surely welcome a greater income. But if thinking development alone is an answer then look to a congested place like New Jersey, and consider if all their problems are resolved.

Tourism is a double-edged sword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
We've subscribed to New Mexico magazine for nearly 30 years and were seriously disappointed in the direction the previous editor and staff took the magazine.

If you want to see how a state published magazine can highlight the attractions and beauty of a state, take a look at Arizona Highways.
I did not realize New Mexico magazine has existed for nearly 30 years. We have subscribed on and off over the past 12 years. I have mixed opinions on the magazine...

I found this interesting from New Mexico Magazine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :
Quote:
The New Mexico Magazine launched in 1923, is the first state magazine founded anywhere in the nation, preceding Arizona Highways.
I was probably aware of Arizona Highways magazine 40+ years before I ever saw a copy of "New Mexico Magazine". Bu in a way, Arizona Highways helped (with a push from another force) make the way for me to also explore New Mexico and other parts of the SouthWest.

Rich

Old 11-05-2011, 03:05 PM

4,866 posts, read 4,806,048 times
Rich, we first visited NM in 1984 and subscribed then. I think we still have every copy holding down one bookcase. It was a factor in our deciding to move here 15 years later.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
As a tourist that is enchanted by New Mexico and planning to retire there I have mixed emotions about increased tourism. I do not want to see all of New Mexico become as touristy as Santa Fe and Taos. The crowds of tourists increase the congestion and price the residents out of their own town.

We in New Hampshire have an area called the Lakes district. It consists of a group of lakes in and around Laconia, NH. In the winter these towns make some sort of sense. In the summer most residents would like to simply avoid the place. There are simply too many cars, motorcycles and people over crowding the roads. Yes, there are a lot of jobs created but most of these are low paid retail and only last the summer and fall. Many of the tourist related stores are actually operated by out of state owners that follow the tourist crowds with the seasons.

Tourism is not an economic panacea. It does not actually bring in that much money that stays in the community. I have wondered why there is so little high tech industry spun off from the national labs in New Mexico. Eastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire are loaded with industry derived from the Federal research spending in the area.

I also read New Mexico magazine and did note how it had shifted to upscale tourism and advertised the more expensive places in NM. We will see how the new editor steers the magazine. I will continue to subscribe and continue my fascination with New Mexico.

PS: After the Halloween Storm and being without power for a few days I have definitely put SNOW on my four letter word list.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:35 AM

391 posts, read 906,849 times
Tourism is a relatively low impact industry, brings fresh money in from other states and countries, and allows an enormous number of people to operate their own small business profitably. It's also a source of huge tax and fee income to the state. Would you rather see higher taxes on residents?
It's no panacea, for sure. It won't save a dismal economy or dying small towns, or give everyone a well-paying permanent job. But what single answer will?
State support for tourism in New Mexico is lagging far behind that of surrounding states in a very competitive tourism environment. Cutting budgets for tourism promotion is a false economy, as tourism promotion money produces far more tax revenue than the expense, not to mention supporting thousands of small businesses all over the state.
My home state of Michigan recently got back on the ball with tourism promotion, after some years of budget slashing and a declining tourism industry as a result. Michigan spent 25 million on various tourism efforts this past year, the most notable being the award-winning Pure Michigan ad campaign. It's paid off in a big way, with the most conservative estimates finding a 3 to 1 return on investment for the state. That is: Michigan spends 25 million and gets 75 million in new tax revenue as a result..not to mention 10,000 new jobs. How is that not a great thing? Tourism spending in Michigan is a 900 million dollar business, third largest industry in the state.

Here is a quote from the US Travel Association:
[LEFT]"After inconsistent promotion efforts for decades, the Pure Michigan® state promotion campaign began regionally in 2006 and went national in 2009. The powerful and non-traditional storytelling of Pure Michigan® has stimulated 7.2 million trips to Michigan by out-of-state visitors. Those visitors spent $2 billion at Michigan businesses and generated $138 million in new tax revenue for Michigan – more than three times the cost of the advertising itself.
In 2010, the second year of national Pure Michigan® advertising, spending by out-of-state leisure visitors jumped 21%, from 2009 to $6.4 billion. At the same time, Michigan tourism-related employment rose by 10,000 jobs. While facing a large deficit and forcing significant cuts to entitlement programs, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder nonetheless added $10 million in additional funding to the Pure Michigan® campaign in 2011, stating: "It brought in more tax revenue than it has cost our state." "[/LEFT]
New Study Proves Tourism Promotion Campaigns Increase Visitation | U.S. Travel Association
This is a case study in wise investment of tax money, producing revenue and jobs.

New Mexico has a lot to offer visitors, as I think everyone reading this knows. NM's potential is very underutilized, particularly outside of the Albuquerque to Taos corridor. And a state that is so very dependant on Federal dollars should wise up to the fact that feeding at Uncle Sam's trough is likely to get a lot harder to do for a variety of reasons. Tourism brings dollars in a low impact and diverse way, and allows more people to own and operate their own businesses in their home town.

The notion that tourism only brings temporary or "burger flipping" jobs is bogus as well. Certainly there are lots of temporary jobs, just as there are lots of people seeking temporary work, but small tourism related businesses are usually owned by local people who usually employ other local people. Lots of permanent jobs are created, particularly in a state like New Mexico where tourism can be strong all year round.

And Rich, you may not care what people in other states say in focus groups, but those people are potential customers of New Mexico, so you're very wrong if you think it doesn't matter what people think about New Mexico. It matters a lot, and learning what common (mis-)perceptions are is what the whole purpose of focus groups is. To get where you want to go, you've got to know where you are...it's that simple, as any professional in marketing can tell you.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
And Rich, you may not care what people in other states say in focus groups, but those people are potential customers of New Mexico, so you're very wrong if you think it doesn't matter what people think about New Mexico. It matters a lot, and learning what common (mis-)perceptions are is what the whole purpose of focus groups is.
That is correct, I do not care what focus groups consisting of unknown numbers of unknown people in Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles had to say. Perhaps a better explanation or what criteria was used in creating these focus groups might have helped. I know how focus groups work, I have participated in a few for the sole purpose of swaying opinion in a specific direction. That is my opinion which I have every right to express.

Everybody is a potential customer, how do we find out how to get all potential customers to become tourists and visit New Mexico.

Your accusation that I am very wrong is an inaccurate assumption and of course just you opinion.

I could ask you, "How many days have you spent in New Mexico?"

I could say oh... probably over 4,000 starting around 1968....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
To get where you want to go, you've got to know where you are...it's that simple, as any professional in marketing can tell you.
So you are saying "any professional in marketing" could do the job. Sorry, I do not agree with your statement....

I need to see some proof of what is really going on and how we can really change New Mexico's images for favorable results. But I do not think that alone will fix the multitude of problems which I see New Mexico has...

Just my opinion.

Rich

Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 PM

10,753 posts, read 23,828,256 times
It's perfectly OK by me that New Mexico is still under the radar, thus the basis of its appeal to me. It means I can still afford to move there and isn't overcrowded like California, the Grand Canyon, or even the ski slopes of Colorado and less traffic. I'm moving there soon, I love it there, I compliment it often when talking about it, but I won't try to persuasively sell anyone else on it.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
NM doesn't have anything like the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Zion, the Tetons, Yellowstone, etc. Face it... there is a lot of competition in the US for amazing landscapes, and NM just doesn't have the best.
Sorry, beg to differ. White Sands is at least in the top five, and, if I recall correctly, is the only one that can be seen from space.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,212 times
I don't care much one way or the other with respect to NM tourism, just as long as NM stays true to itself and doesn't become a caricature of what tourists think NM should be (i.e. Santa Fe to a large extent).

Last edited by N8!; 11-07-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Sorry, beg to differ. White Sands is at least in the top five, and, if I recall correctly, is the only one that can be seen from space.
Gathered from National Park Service data, and posted here: America's 20 most-visited National Monuments - latimes.com

Says that White Sands Came in number 13

Quote:
13. White Sands National Monument, N. M.
( Yu Sui Kao )
White Sands National Monument, in south-central New Mexico is the largest pure gypsum dune field in the world. Parts of these dune fields are dynamic, with some of the dunes moving as much as 30 feet in one year. The national monument offers visitors a drive through the fields, as well as an explanation of how all that sand got there. Note: The monument is occasionally closed when the military is testing rockets nearby.

Visitors in 2009: 471,167
They may have placed higher in other polls, or dare I say "A Focus Group"?

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico