Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 11:45 PM

34 posts, read 338,526 times

Advertisements

I was flipping through the channels last night and saw a brief something about digging gemstones and fossils in NM. I am planning a road trip through your beautiful state this summer and was wondering if there are any good places to find them? Preferably a place you can just go out by yourself without going with a guide and having to pay a fee for them to take you. And if there are good places, where they are? Thanks for input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 05:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Try this website.

http://geoinfo.nmt.edu/

Lots of info on NM minerals.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Rock Hound State Park near Deming is one place I'm aware of. I found a very cool geode there and I wasn't really looking.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:46 AM

153 posts, read 759,536 times
The Quebradas for fossils if you are passing through Socorro, NM.

http://www.nm.blm.gov/recreation/soc...adas_byway.htm

There are tons of canyons and trails open to the public. Just make sure you stop by the BLM headquarters on the south end of town off California St. and pick up a map of the area because there is private ranch land mixed in with BLM land. You may also contact the Socorro office and they may be willing to send you a map:

http://www.nm.blm.gov/sfo/sfo_home.html

Cheers~
Denise
InTheDesert
Socorro, NM

Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 AM

153 posts, read 759,536 times
Oh yeah, and I second RockHound:

http://www.americansouthwest.net/new...tate_park.html

...a cool place and some great history! It is pretty dang hot and windy there in the summer so just go prepared and the trails are mostly undeveloped so don't get lost! Stop by the visitor center for Rockhound state park, we found them most informative when we hiked there one summer about 5 years ago.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 38,632 times
My In-laws bought 5 acres in Socorro NM many years ago (Probably one of those "ocean front property" deals) and now are looking to sell it. My husband and I are wondering if it would be a good gem hunting area and we should buy it? Does anyone know the area? I have a property ID and school district # unit # and lot # but no address. Can anyone help us? We live in Ohio and it's too far to come out just to check out the property. Thanks

Old 02-27-2009, 08:00 AM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Kelly New Mexico

If you are looking for pretty rocks i would think that West of Socorro is a Place called Kelly N.M. and they have lots of Different interesting rocks in that area. But most of N.M. wherever they have BLM or Federal or State Land can be Great for hiking and finding most anything. Depending on how dry a Season or even on how hungry the Animals are might determine whether our Lands stay open this Summer. el pintada kid

Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,970 times
Rockhound State Park is very picked through. The best gemstones are going to be in areas that have not been discovered, except by a few people.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Default Watch Where You Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslo View Post
I was flipping through the channels last night and saw a brief something about digging gemstones and fossils in NM. I am planning a road trip through your beautiful state this summer and was wondering if there are any good places to find them? Preferably a place you can just go out by yourself without going with a guide and having to pay a fee for them to take you. And if there are good places, where they are? Thanks for input!
May I suggest that before you come here to new mexico, that you plan your trip to a specific area of the state, and plan where you're going to hunt for minerals/gemstones or artifacts. after you have decided where you're going to actively hunt, grab yourself a BLM new mexico land map or atlas DeLorme NEW MEXICO Atlas & Gazetteer Topographic Map Book

Public Lands Information Center

one tool which may be of use to you is a handheld GPS, sold at walmart stores for about 100 bucks.
here's a website we use to download and plan our trips into the mountains and high desert areas to prospect, it's free!
Melissa Data | Data Quality Tools | Mailing Software | Lists | NCOA

why is this soooo important? it is, because the very last thing you'd want to do, is prospect on someone's private property.
we have maps we purchased online, and these maps help guide us when we 4 wheel because many county roads go through ranches/private property. it's important to know when you're on private land or BLM/state/or forest land. occasionally, when passing through private lands, some ranchers will give you the fish-eye, and sometimes will follow you to the end of their property to ensure you make no stops or wander off the road you're driving on. likewise, collecting artifacts from forest lands is against federal law. it is important to play by the rules. enjoy your trip and stay here. if we can help you out, let us know, just DM us.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/new...tate_park.html
Less work? druzy and milky quartz specimen are readily lying above ground throughout the mountains and high desert of southwest new mexico, about all you need is a 5 gallon bucket, sometimes a 4 wheel drive or an off roader is necessary to access the areas.

Last edited by highdesertmutz; 02-27-2009 at 10:01 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Kathleen2 asked:

> ... In-laws bought 5 acres in Socorro NM many years ago ...
> now are looking to sell it.

> My husband and I are wondering if ... we should buy it?

> Can anyone help us?

> We live in Ohio and it's too far to come out just to check out the property.

I can help.

My guess is that the inlaws just made a gamble. It is the same gamble that you are about to consider. You admit you know nothing about the area and are unwilling/unable to visit, so why not just play the Powerball? The pain will be over much sooner.

I wouldn't buy a piece of land without thorough research from an informed perspective. (not applicable here)

I wouldn't buy a piece of land without seeing it with my own eyes.

After seeing it, I would then thoroughly research again.

The above doesn't apply if I was already an experienced and SUCCESSFUL land speculator.

There is a difference between gambling, speculating, and investing.

Almost all bare land buying comes under the category of speculating which, if you don't know what you are doing really becomes gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico