Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 AM

185 posts, read 488,819 times

Advertisements

Score one for the good guys!

Carrizozo's hometown boy - Ruidoso News (http://www.ruidosonews.com/ruidoso-breaking_news/ci_14704651 - broken link)

Nice to know there are people who really do care and want to make a difference-and are willing to take a stand out there on the firing line . And even better they are not always transplants, but good people who know what used to be and are determined to make things better.

Just like Marty McFly predicted-"Mayor Goldie Wilson..I like the sound of that!!"

Go get 'em Mike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Carrizozo sounds like they got a good Mayor. I wish him and the town good luck.

We enjoyed our visit to the town a few years ago and will stop by next trip. I hope the old time drug store and soda fountain are still there.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
I was in 'zozo two Saturday's ago to see the two new galleries opened by the Malkerson's - in addition to Gallery 408 that has been open for several years. Now they have a total of five old buildings they have bought (that I know of) and have turned them into sales outlets for art and antiques. Grand opening for two of the newest galleries are Mar. 27.

Carrizozo Clay
Malkerson Modern Art

For lunch I had intended to have a "famous green chile cheeseburger" a The Outpost, but there was a large sign on the entrance that read, "NO Credit Cards Accepted." So I ate at the TexMex place at the highway intersection, where they added a dollar to my bill for salsa and chips and then charged me a fifty cent "transaction fee" when I paid with my credit card. So much for getting my lunch business again in that town!

Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
It costs them money to accept credit cards.... In affect, I am subsidizing others credit card usage. Those of us who use cash should get a discount. I use credit cards extensively as needed....

Old 03-19-2010, 10:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
If I don't have enough cash in my pocket for lunch I either find an robot teller or go hungry. Fortunately there are a lot of robo tellers.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
I use credit cards extensively as needed....
I use credit cards almost exclusively! I carry a minimum of cash.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM

185 posts, read 488,819 times
Default Hopes and dreams....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Carrizozo sounds like they got a good Mayor. I wish him and the town good luck.

We enjoyed our visit to the town a few years ago and will stop by next trip. I hope the old time drug store and soda fountain are still there.
Hi Greg,

Yes, Roy is still running the old soda fountain, but I'm afraid he's the last in a long line. When he hangs it up I doubt anyone will pick it up. And it is sad to see the town turning into a semi ghost town. There are so many neat houses that are standing empty and so much history in the streets. But hopefully a new generation can pick things up and can reinvent the area! And there are some really unique art studios that are certainly worth the trip from Ruidoso. My family obviously feels the place has fantastic potential and is really a neat place to be. But I'm heavily biased of course!

But yes, bring cash, checks and credit cards aren't quite in the public domain just yet!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarmer View Post
Hi Greg,

Yes, Roy is still running the old soda fountain, but I'm afraid he's the last in a long line.
When I was in town the other day it looked like the plans to bring a grocery store back to town are not going well. There were obvious signs of work having been done - or in progress - but a long way from being in business again.

The Heritage Museum was closed up tight and looked as if no one is maintaining it now - and that was on a Sat morning on a gorgeous day. Also the coffee shop that was once owned by Karla and Joe had a closed sign on it, and that was at the noon hour.

Artists have come and gone on 12th street and buildings they had partially renovated are once more standing empty and falling into disrepair - enter the Malkersons! The old hardware store that had been kept open by Peter Wolf was sold to the Malkersons and turned into a storage building - now an antique(?) store.

Dreams of developing the prairie lands surrounding the town are obviously on hold as the economy continues to lag. The restored golf course had nary a soul on it - again at mid day on a Saturday.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I am sorry to read that Zozo is having such a hard time. I had been under the impression that it was doing better and growing. I'm not sure why, but I always thought it was a soulful place.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm not sure why, but I always thought it was a soulful place.
Funny you should mention that. I just received an email from a friend who moved away from Carrizozo who once owned a 1904 house there that had been the funeral parlor at one time years ago. I sent her a link to the article on the new mayor and she wrote this about him:

Quote:
He lived katty korner from me..in the 2 story house on the corner. He came over one day to introduce himself. Told me lots of stories about his visits to my house as a young piano student. Said he would see the people in the those really wierd beds (coffins). He is the one who told me that because there wasn't any running water the blood from the embalming process on dead bodies was thrown in the back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico