Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:48 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,005,078 times

Advertisements

I am anxious to get one going again, but now still just piling on the chicken house straw etc.
Some onions from last year are up as well as carrots

Going to start somethings inside like lettuce etc.
Saw an article in Mother Earth mag about using potting soil bags and just setting the 25 lb bags out in the garden and put some holes in the bottom for drainage and then cutting a opening on the top and planting right in the bag.
Think I will try that and also put a plastic tent over the top until nights get warmer.

What do you like to plant first?

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Here in the mountains, at the 7,000ft elevation, the unwritten rule is; you shouldn't set out bedding plants until after Mother's Day (in early May).

Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Interesting concept about the potting soil bags themselves. My tomato transplants are on the kitchen table under lights, and I'll start putting them out before too long, probably in a couple of weeks.

I use moveable carts, and I'm also going to try a couple of bags (black fabric)....and see if they do well here, or not. The bags may get too hot, so I guess we'll see. They'll probably have to be shaded part of the day, so I'll place them where they're protected from the hottest part of the day.

I thought you were heading back to the Pacific Northwest..? No?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:18 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,918,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
My tomato transplants are on the kitchen table under lights, and I'll start putting them out before too long, probably in a couple of weeks.
I haven't seen them in ages, but once upon a time the farmers in the Mesilla and El Paso valley used white paper hats over each tomato plant when they first set them out about this time of the year. They looked like large versions of the paper cups used for making cupcakes. My mom always used the quart mason jars when she first set out her tomatoes, but she wasn't farming.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I haven't seen them in ages, but once upon a time the farmers in the Mesilla and El Paso valley used white paper hats over each tomato plant when they first set them out about this time of the year. They looked like large versions of the paper cups used for making cupcakes. My mom always used the quart mason jars when she first set out her tomatoes, but she wasn't farming.
The mason jars will do, as long as it doesn't get too hot!

I usually use large cottage cheese containers if I need them.

Since I use cages, I can always wrap them in clear plastic, too, which protects them from cold at night and wind during the day when they're young and tender.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM

Yes, we want to, but have to "try" and sell the house and property first.
Target is to get there before Nov. 1 of this year.
Have some folks interested and hope they bite...
But, still have to go on living etc....I really like to garden and try and grow anything anywhere etc.

Happy trails and stay tuned,
HW and Suninhair

Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Yes, we want to, but have to "try" and sell the house and property first.
Target is to get there before Nov. 1 of this year.
Have some folks interested and hope they bite...
But, still have to go on living etc....I really like to garden and try and grow anything anywhere etc.

Happy trails and stay tuned,
HW and Suninhair
OK, good luck on that! Maybe it won't take too terribly long.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 PM

Talking Cathy see me note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Interesting concept about the potting soil bags themselves. My tomato transplants are on the kitchen table under lights, and I'll start putting them out before too long, probably in a couple of weeks.

I use moveable carts, and I'm also going to try a couple of bags (black fabric)....and see if they do well here, or not. The bags may get too hot, so I guess we'll see. They'll probably have to be shaded part of the day, so I'll place them where they're protected from the hottest part of the day.

I thought you were heading back to the Pacific Northwest..? No?
Cathy see my note, I am getting mixed reply notes etc.
HW

Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 PM

I didn't see anything wrong..you hope to leave by Nov 1, but have people interested now.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:34 PM

908 posts, read 2,853,959 times
We're doing the cold weather stuff... Spinich and Lettuce to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico