Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 PM

152 posts, read 479,826 times

Advertisements

Did I hear that right? Do we now have yet another classic rock station? Did we really need another classic rock station? I have never been a huge fan of 104.1, but on occasion they did play some stuff I liked. I guess they figured the music they were playing in some cases is approaching the classic rock classification... But I am sad that there is now no station where I can expect to hear sublime, 311, beastie boys, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers, smashing pumpkins, and all the others that kinda defined my highschool music preferences. Now my choices are rap, country, 14 year old girl/club rat crackwhore lady gaga pop music, classic rock, or talk radio although they never really lived up to the "new rock" standard as most stuff they were playing exceeded 10 years old, but maybe they coulda stuck around if they spun some real new rock. That or I'm the only person that ever listened to them on occasion, I guess not owning an ipod, or not subscribing to satellite radio is becoming even more limiting. Then again I make use of pandora when I remember to bring my headphones to work, but in the car I don't even have a ten disk changer (although my radio handles mp3s I don't really have a collection of those either) and I guess if I got a carcharger and an interface cable of sorts that used a headphone jack I could use pandora in the car, meh what a PITA... Oh well I guess the radio execs figure new orleans is a dead scene when it comes to modern or at least semimodern rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 12:54 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
Ugh, I guess it's time to go satellite.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:45 PM

I wish I could afford it. I rented a car with it once it was pretty cool. I guess the execs figure the target group listening to the music I want to hear probably more than likely already has satellite, or makes use of mp3 players so they would do better to just appeal to a different group. I am also making an assumption but is not 104.1 clear channel owned, and 95.7 a now obvious competitor intercom owned? I may have been a move to compete for that market share. High def radio may offer a larger selection but ive never heard anything positive or negative or anything about it for that matter.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM

307 posts, read 802,898 times
Can 103.3 out of Baton Rouge be picked up here in town? I can get it when I head out to work, not sure about in Kenner/Metairie/New Orleans though. It seems to be a good station with a mix of stuff like you're looking for, or at least it did for the little bit I listened to it. Nice choice in music, by the way .

Old 07-02-2010, 06:16 PM

i get 103.3 they aim at genX if thats the same station you are getting. its not too too bad, i still have some heavier preferences on occasion, although 104.1 never hit those either.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:44 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,780 times
What an infestation. Especially considering all the fantastic home-grown stuff in LA. That generic crap, you can it hear anywhere. I have to wait until I'm alone at the desk at work, then turn 'our' version of that crapola off, and turn on to the OZillians (WWOZ) via the internets! Thank gawd for internets!

Last edited by jacq63; 07-03-2010 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: OZillians has nothing to do with where I live..:-P

Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM

310 posts, read 854,823 times
There have been 3 stations (that I liked) come and gone in the last 4 years. The new format is my kind of music but I can get that on 95.7! I graduated college in the mid 90's and I'm going to miss that music a ton! I just hope they do us all a favor and replace Rod Ryan in the morning (no offense to anyone). I keep my iPod hardwired to my stereo most often but 104.1 was my alternate to my iPod.

I appreciate what you're saying there, jacq63! I love jazz, zydeco, blues, etc. when I can watch it live or with a crowd of people but I sure can't get into listening to it on the radio. Mad props to those who can!

Old 07-04-2010, 12:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times
I know. 104.1 wasn't a good station but really...Classic Rock now?

I'm using Pandora app on my iPhone with an FM transmitter at this point. Other than OZ radio sucks right now.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 AM

268 posts, read 744,110 times
What about the mighty TUL? 91.5. When that station is broken, then it is
really screwed up down in New Awlins. College radio almost doesn't count
though, cause it is up and down all the time and sometimes is caught playing
Mantovani. But WTUL will play the old punk you love and the new punk you
have no idea wtf is going on. Keeps you young.

Speaking as someone in the media biz, though, it's clear demographics. If they
play the music you want, they go broke, because the FEEL like the people that
listen to that music steal all their music online and have no money to spend due
to their addiction to premium coffee and vintage Salvation Army clothes.
Alternative folks, in their minds, are not worth targeting to advertisers.

Last edited by BradfromNO; 07-05-2010 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,809 times
I completely agree - other that WWOZ and occasionally WTUL, New Orleans the radio stations are incredibly boring. I was not Rod Ryan's fan and 104.1 needed improvement but played good tunes sometimes. Replacing it with The Brew? Give me a break - another classic rock radio is not what we need. If it is about demographics as Brad suggests, the older exec dudes are wrong, there are many (not so) young professionals who graduated from college in the 90ies and prefer alternative rock. These demographics have careers, famiilies and spend money. I cannot understand why New Orleans in so many aspects has been deliberately kept in an old times capsule. (Not even mentioning about the rap stations here - for me they do not exist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans