Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 25,320 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the New Orleans area at the end of the school year with our 13 & 15yr old daughters. We will probably be moving to old Mandeville or Covington, but have not decided for sure yet. Our daughters are very upset that we are moving them and they are sure that they won't like the place as much as where we are now - suburbs of Chicago. We are taking a trip just after Christmas for a week, staying downtown New Orleans and I want to show them as much as I can to make them feel better about the move. Any suggestions on where to take them would be greatly appreciated, especially NYE. Would Jackson Square be appropriate with teenagers on NYE?
FYI - Both of them are very much into culture and arts, our younger daughter is very much into music - all kinds - she plays guitar and sings. Are there any bars/restaurants that allow kids in, to watch live music? Our older daughter is a dancer (ballet) and much easier to please. They both love downtown Chicago, particularly the museums and art galleries and love visiting new places.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,031 times
Jackson square should be fine although it will be wickedly crowded. The only place that wouldn't be kid safe is Bourbon (and no local goes to Bourbon anyhow)

Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I personally think they will love it there. If they are into arts as much as you say, then New Orleans sounds like the place for them, they may not agree with the difference in culture but they should appreciate the immense culture there as well as the opportunity to go into the city (as well as they can where you're living now) and go to museums, art galleries, and attend many performing arts shows. Do not only show them the tourist attractions but take them to hole-in-the wall restaurants and such. Have fun.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,033,621 times
For live music, I'm pretty sure Preservation Hall wouldn't have any issues with letting young people in, if you are trying to see authenic New Orleans Jazz. Also if you go to Cafe du Monde or eat lunch at some of the restaurants in that same structure (I think the name is Molly's at the Market, not a bad place for good New Orleans food) there should be some amateur musicians playing, and many of them are very good. If they would be interested in art I think it would be worth it to take a red streetcar from Canal Street to the New Orleans Museum of Art inside City Park. Good luck, I'm sure your daughters will let this city grow on them. Covington and Mandeville are the nicest suburbs of New Orleans anyway, so the odds are good that they'll adapt.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
I would also head over to Julia Street. There are a sizable cluster of art galleries in that area of the CBD, as well as on Royal Street in the Quarter. The Ogden Museum of Art and the Contemporary Arts Center are both on Camp Street.
If you are looking for music, go to Frenchmen Street in the Marigny. There is a chance of places letting you in, and if all else fails go to Snug Harbor (it's mainly a Jazz and dinner place). A couple of the larger hotels also have jazz lounges, and would be more kid friendly.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! There are some really great places, they should have a really good time!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:26 PM

16 posts, read 24,549 times
Yall should go to the National World War II Museum, there's even a theater that plays a screening of a film Tom Hanks produced in the museum, also I would check out the CAC across the street. As far as music, literally every night theres a concert or live show in new orleans, I would check out Jeremy Davenport's performances at the Ritz Carlton (it's his show) or try out Snug Harbor on frenchman street, not sure if kids could come but they may be welcome.

As for the general NYE festivities, close to jackson square, each year at Jackson Brewery (a little mall) there's a "Gumbo drop" similar to the ball drop in New York, I would check that out.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 AM

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions - we all had a great time - the kids loved the city and are now looking forward to moving :-) They particularly liked Jackson Square on NYE! The only problem I have now is one wants to live in downtown Covington, and the other the City, ah well we'll have to see what is available when we are ready to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans