Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 PM

96 posts, read 314,748 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I am not receiving email notifications when people post to this thread...gotta correct that piece!

Anyhow, thanks to everyone with the straight news about this city. I've been looking at warehouse and other "condo" type units in and around the city and the prices are higher than I anticipated but not too bad. I think after being a property owner in the true sense here in Michigan, I've about had it with all the maintenance, etc. My husband and I did loft living in the New York City area and it is okay...ditto for condo living. A condo wouldn't be my first choice but I'll take whatever I can get to live in New Orleans-smile.

Well, there's lots to think about for sure. My husband and I had another talk about it tonight. While he is not in a big hurry to leave his job, he is interested in looking into New Orleans a lot more.

The stories about home invasions and people being harmed are not encouraging but I imagine that can happen just about any place (sadly). I also had to laugh (but a BIG thank you) to MetroBTR for addressing the evacuation piece. I don't know if I'll be alive at 90! If I am, I hope I can still evacuate (move my body); if I cannot evacuate, I hope I am dead-smile.

Bustaduke's comments are exciting and encouraging to me 'cause one thing I've been here in Michigan is LONELY! John and I spoke tonight about how we really have not found any like-minded friends or acquaintances here, since moving to Michigan. It's been very isolating and difficult for me and I am a very friendly type. I don't want to feel this isolated and lonely when I am 60 and aging

I was just looking at an incredible "free-standing" type of condo in Jefferson, which is a bit beyond the river bend area. It's a bit further out than I'd like (I guess) but the property prices are incredible. When you go out a bit in that direction (upriver, I imagine), it seems like you can get a lot more bang for your buck with property than remaining in New Orleans Parish, especially in the warehouse/condo category.

Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks again to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 10:20 AM

194 posts, read 545,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post

I was just looking at an incredible "free-standing" type of condo in Jefferson, which is a bit beyond the river bend area. It's a bit further out than I'd like (I guess) but the property prices are incredible. When you go out a bit in that direction (upriver, I imagine), it seems like you can get a lot more bang for your buck with property than remaining in New Orleans Parish, especially in the warehouse/condo category.

Any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks again to all!
Here's my take on Jefferson: I hate suburbs in general, and I'll do just about anything to stay in the city itself. However, I do like Old Jefferson. It feels a bit more conservative than the city itself, but the areas near the river are very nice and they don't have that "cookie-cutter" feel that most newer suburbs have. This area would probably be my first choice outside the city. We live in Riverbend, and we bike into Jefferson on the levee all the time, and it's quite pleasant. Old Metairie is nice, too, but I prefer being near the river. (I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but the land near the Mississippi is generally higher ground and doesn't tend to flood as much as some other areas.)

Also, I think you'll have a hard time not making friends here!!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times
We were just there, too, and we spent a day driving through areas of the north shore. My husband used to say that if he was going to live anywhere in Louisiana, it'd have to be right in New Orleans. But he changed his mind during the drive. I suppose some of the towns across the causeway, like Mandeville, may seem like too much suburbia for most people, but Mandeville in particular is clean, seems nice 'n' quiet, and is close enough to the city to go whenever one wants.

Personally, I like suburbs as long as they're near enough to "the city" as needed. I wouldn't live in downtown Portland even if I won the lottery, but we live close enough to go there for whatever we want or need.

Old 06-12-2011, 09:28 PM

34 posts, read 89,101 times
I lived in NOLA all of my life until the violence sent me to the Northshore. Some fun places to live in NOLA that have less crime and great culture are the uptown university area around Tulane and Loyola universities. Rents are plentiful in the old homes. The French Quarter. It is harder to find a nice rental that has more modern amenities. It is very charming with something to do all the time. Unfortunately it is noisy at night. The Quarter didn't have the high flood waters that the rest of the city did. Just do your homework. I think renting for about six months is a great idea until you really get to know the area. Good Luck.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:43 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,312,384 times
tonile ~

New Orleans would be great for younger retirees if you like a real "playful playground" (all the music and happenings year round). I suppose that may sound a little stupid. But many retirees want to kick back in quiet places . . . and I do not consider New Orleans a calm, quiet, serene place. But it's definitely a feel good place ~ should be good for your soul. There is certainly plenty to do there and all kinds of music and food around you. LOL!!!

But I like Southernbelle's advise about the North Shore options. Safer niches against disasters, but close enough to cruise along that causeway for all the fun you want ~ on your time.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:21 AM

11 posts, read 16,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonilee View Post
Hi everyone! Please allow me yet another early-retirement question! I've used the City Data Forums a lot and have always found the folks to be so helpful. I'd love input about retiring to New Orleans.

My husband and I just returned from a week stay in New Orleans...my 4th visit, husband's first...and our visit was INCREDIBLE! I really loved the city this time, probably more so than during my other 3 visits and my husband, John LOVED the city, too. Given this, John & I are thinking of placing New Orleans on our very short list of "possible retirement places" in the not-so-distant future.

Having said that, we both feel kinda mixed about the town. We are both city folk who are living in Michigan now, due to husband's work. We are exploring MANY warmer weather places where we might relocate in the future.

Just a bit info, which may help you with your feedback:

1- DH & I are both East Coast raised city folk, he born outside of Newark NJ, me born in Providence RI. My last home (prior to MI) was Manhattan NY x 12 years. We both love the energy, excitement & culture of city living. PLEASE know we are NOT cultural snobs, though...we are both young-ish, 50-somethings and kinda cool people, IMHO-smile;

2- Husband and I are well-traveled and we've explored several places to relocate. For one reason or another, we've ruled places out...San Diego, Los Angeles, Palm Springs, Santa Fe, Tucson, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, etc. We're gonna re-look at the Gulf Coast of Florida but my husband feels Florida is for blue-hairs (sorry...no mean to offend). John feels retiring to Florida is like being put "out to pasture." DH also feels Florida lacks cultural stuff

My husband and I know many folks are semi-retiring or retiring back to cities...NYC (whoever can afford it), Memphis, Austin, San Antonio, Nashville, etc. So, we were both kinda shocked at how much we loved New Orleans but thought "well, perhaps it is 'cause we're visiting and not living here."

I gotta say the locals we encountered during our trip were incredible...really really wonderful. I cannot tell you how KIND strangers were to us (me) because of a mini-crisis. We loved the way folks of all ages, colors, types, etc enjoyed themselves and (seemed) to get along. John has always loved jazz and I fell in love with the Frenchman Street scene, as well as some of the Bourbon Street places that supplied old-time, Dixieland, blues-y jazz...we had a blast!

A few things concern us about seriously considering the city, primarily 1) crime, 2) cost of housing-we looked at a few lofts in the Warehouse District, 3) how accessible NOLA really is for older folks, ie: programs, tax breaks, health care (I think it's pretty good), infra-structure stuff (public transportation, etc).

Could you wonderful folks living there please provide input???

Thanks in advance!!
My wife and I are also thinking of retiring to NOLA. Did you? If so, are you happy with your decision? If not, why not? Can anyone tell me if one can live in Garden District/Uptown without a car? Is it "walkable"? Thanks in advance for any input

Old 12-07-2013, 04:08 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,349,636 times
You can search "Uptown walkable" and it will bring up many threads detailing the exact areas. By the way, it's very walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans