Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 10:15 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with people enjoying the show. As annie said, it is the best representation of new orleans to ever be put on tv. I just don't happen to enjoy it myself.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 11:55 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
Haha-- we should start our own show! Public access here we come....I definitely can contribute some interesting characters and plot lines....

Old 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 6,997 times
As far as the Google Streetview issue, there's a nifty blog that collects images from Google and then takes photos of that location as it currently exists.

For example, here's a shot of Columbus and Marais from Google, and as it is today.

Update Google Street View in New Orleans!: Columbus & Marais

Old 06-27-2012, 06:13 PM

19 posts, read 32,618 times
as a person still living in los angeles and trying to get out there, I am enjoying this site
Update Google Street View in New Orleans!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 PM

48 posts, read 80,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
Think about celebrities who call attention to a cause-- Angelina Jolie, for example. Do you think she knows what its like to live as a young girl in the middle east? Nope. She might be able to describe it to an extent, but she lacks the basic experience to fully understand that life. Does that mean she can't call attention to issues surrounding education for young women? Does that mean she can't advocate for refugee rights? The creators of "Treme" try to get it right-- they seem to appreciate the city in a unique way. Maybe they aren't 100% accurate or lacking of "native" knowledge. But at least they are calling attention to the city and its issues, and I think, doing so in an entertaining way. (Though the faces that that violinist makes when she plays always irritate me....)
I've only watched a couple episodes so far so I don't know if I like it (and I certainly have no idea about the accuracy of it) but I do like this aspect of it. For instance, they show tour buses driving through with people taking pictures out the windows of the devastation and the driver asking intrusive questions. I saw that and instantly felt the urge to look it up to see if this was something that really happened and was a bit shocked to find that it not only happened but still happens. I didn't follow Katrina at the time or after so I've never known much more about it other than the fact that it destroyed the city and that the aide response was generally terrible. It's eye opening to discover just how screwed up things were down there. Maybe I'd learn about this stuff after moving there eventually but many Americans who aren't moving there are also learning this stuff through the show. That can only be a good thing for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleypw View Post
As far as the Google Streetview issue, there's a nifty blog that collects images from Google and then takes photos of that location as it currently exists.

For example, here's a shot of Columbus and Marais from Google, and as it is today.

Update Google Street View in New Orleans!: Columbus & Marais
That's an unbelievable difference. Thanks for sharing the link!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Pics like the one on the bottom here: Update Google Street View in New Orleans!: Music St between Villere and Robertson

are why I love this city so much. The owner of this house is probably a welder or some other way a member of the working class, but he (or she) took the time to bring a little house like this to its full potential, and it's absolutely beautiful.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 AM

605 posts, read 1,054,280 times
Great site, thanks for sharing! Agree with the Music St house - love the design and colors.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

71 posts, read 184,825 times
If anybody wants to see it, Street View in NO has been updated.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
That's easy....look down in the bottom of the google street view window and look at the photography dates....
COOL. Noticing that for the very first time now.

Now it is all dated for 2014, which is interesting, as a few years ago, I also remember much of NOLA not looking so good on google maps. I don't have that same feel anymore when I look at google maps now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans