Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 23,569 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Sorry for another thread about moving to NO.
I have some questions. I wanted to know if this is the wrong way to do it.
I will have some cash saved up to survive. Around $5000

1: Coming there with no job. Planning on looking for one right away of course. I'm familiar with customer service, legal jobs & labor jobs

2: Was going to possible stay at a extended stay hotel until I find a apartment. Or looking for a place that someone has available to rent short term.

I know this probably sounds crazy to some people but I'm 35 years old just got separated. Living with parents now to save the money. To live in NO is a dream of mine. I just don't know if this is a pipe dream and do I even have a shot.

Your help would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Totally feasible. Try your best to find a job before you move there.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM

6 posts, read 23,569 times
Will they hire if someone doesn't live there yet?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:35 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Depending on the employer to be honest. For more prestigious jobs they do it all the time.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
My wife and I just moved back to New Orleans from another city after she interviewed and got a job at Orleans School Board. So I can tell you from experience that it generally doesn't matter if you're not currently in New Orleans as long as you can figure out a way to make a trip for the interview.

This can be difficult depending how far you have to travel, but, as you'll find out, New Orleans is a personable face to face city. Its about seeing you, shaking your hand, and feeling you out as a person. Right now its probably an inconvenience, but very soon it will be one of the charming things you'll love about our city.

My advice is to aggressively seek jobs and make phone calls to set up meetings consecutively to take place during 1 specific week. Use some of your savings for a ticket and hotel. And within that week, I'm sure you'll have your job and lease to a new start in the Big Easy! It really can just that easy.

Good luck. You're going to love New Orleans. Ciao

Old 08-14-2013, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 3,533 times
no, its OK

Old 08-16-2013, 08:36 PM

93 posts, read 332,100 times
Thank you for the thread. I'm thinking about moving from central ca to Nola. I've never been there but like you it's always been a dream.
I'm 39 female, single and looking to start a new and better life.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotaxx View Post
Thank you for the thread. I'm thinking about moving from central ca to Nola. I've never been there but like you it's always been a dream.
I'm 39 female, single and looking to start a new and better life.
I would definitely advise visiting first. I love my city, but I have no qualms about saying that its not a good long-term fit for everyday. Especially while its still rebuilding. So visit first to see if our brand of quirky and class fits your personality.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:15 PM

105 posts, read 234,743 times
How can you possibly even consider starting over without having anything lined up? No offense, but thinking with your heart instead of your head is a recipe for disaster. Come down for about a week and see what happens. You will know by the end of the week if this is somewhere you want to be.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I would definitely advise visiting first. I love my city, but I have no qualms about saying that its not a good long-term fit for everyday. Especially while its still rebuilding. So visit first to see if our brand of quirky and class fits your personality.
...I meant to say "everybody". New Orleans doesnt fit everybody
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans