Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:39 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I agree with Mwah. One thing that has always struck me odd is how gay culture here is far more accepted and common than interracial dating. I'm black and am married to a black woman so I can't speak from personal experience, but its not that I've seen interracial couples being judged or denigrated by others, its that I don't see any interracial couples hardly ever. Maybe once in a blue moon when I visit Lakeside Mall I'll see one interracial couple holding hands and I always remember it because of how rare it is to see.

...its very odd, because New Orleans, infamously so, is a city where every race, culture, and creed get along. So I just wonder why I don't see more interracial couples.

Now...in terms of gay culture and acceptance of LGBT people(since that's what this thread is about); You will find no problem here whatsoever and will actually be among a large percentage of the population.
If I had to guess, it may have to do with the way New Orleans had a 3 tier type of social system before the Civil War. You had slaves at the bottom, free people of color in the middle, and whites on top. Free blacks of color were given nearly unprecedented rights in relation to whites, with relatively very few restrictions delegated to their class. No other city had as many free black men of color than New Orleans had. With this model, New Orleans enjoyed a period of time where it was the richest US city, and the 4th richest city in the world. This may have, over the years, led to New Orleans becoming a city which can realize that blacks can be free and everybody prospers, but mixing the classes is just not traditional, so NOLA finds it a little unusual.

I've never been talked down to or disrespected for dating a black guy, it's just stares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:44 PM

84 posts, read 144,907 times
Wow! Interesting conversation people. Personally I date any color or ethnic group so long as he respects me that is what matters. Being from Chicago I'm used to all different kinds of people from all over the world and I like the diversity. But I wonder how the natives we react to my northern accent? Lol!

Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM

on the subject of a diversity people is there much of a Goth culture in New Orleans? I've seen indications that there are like from the TV show NCIS with the character of Abigail. She is one of my favorite TV characters by the way. I tend to be somewhat gothic in my attire and I was just wondering how, you know, that will play in New Orleans? Will I stand out like a sore thumb or will I find like minded people?

Old 04-09-2015, 06:26 PM

While we're on the subjects of accents ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpFDNTo4DNg

I don't know if you'd qualify it as goth, but there is a big culture of mysticism here. It is where Voodoo was brought to the USA and there is a lot of merchandise related to that here. You can really just be yourself and people will still talk to you in the city. People dress up in costume for the hell of it here, no special reason ... just because they want. It's truly one of the USA's most cosmopolitan city.

Something that amazes the hell of out me - I live in an old neighborhood. This neighborhood has an old little community grocery store that holds a special event once a month and the whole neighborhood goes and hangs out ... and the store stays open late to host it and everybody sells stuff. Today, a huge event is taking place in New Orleans - French Quarter Fest (it drew half a million people over 4 days last year). The community store is hosting the event tonight as well.

Culture that's hard to find babe...

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 04-09-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 07:39 AM

I guess people are going to find me to be an oddity, a woman of color with a Chicago accent who is Goth! Lol! I don't wear black all the time or studded leather chokers every day but often I do and I like to mix in some pretty colors to spice things up when I'm in the mood. When was that video made mwahfromtheheart? It looked like late 70s or early 80s. But Goth culture isn't about religion it's kind of a rebellion against religion of any kind and an openness and acceptance of everyone as equals. It also is a rejection of commonly held mores which tend to be exclusionary and divisive and that's where the black comes in. We want people to know we are different and that we reject all the divisive archaic attitudes and traditions.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:52 AM

@Mwahfromtheheart were you able to find my Facebook page ? I hope you got my reply to your earlier message. We can be Facebook friends. I would like that.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Things have definitely changed since the 70s and 80s when it seems it was shot, but the accents and some of the attitudes towards them are there... for example I used to work in Metairie and everybody would make fun of a girl from St. Bernard Parish just because of the accent. All in good fun in some ways, but sometimes it can get you discriminated against because people think you may sound less intelligent if you have certain typically black vernaculars and the typical yatcent.

You'll be fine, I've seen black skateboarders and black all kinds of people. I saw a black guy dressed like a headbanger riding a bicycle with a motor on it through the upper 9th. Nobody will look at you too hard. Counter cultures and alternate religions or ... non religions to speak ... are very common here and aren't even really given much of a thought from what I see.

We are friends on Facebook, and I sent you a message through the forum and on there.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 PM

860 posts, read 1,194,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Things have definitely changed since the 70s and 80s when it seems it was shot, but the accents and some of the attitudes towards them are there... for example I used to work in Metairie and everybody would make fun of a girl from St. Bernard Parish just because of the accent. All in good fun in some ways, but sometimes it can get you discriminated against because people think you may sound less intelligent if you have certain typically black vernaculars and the typical yatcent.

You'll be fine, I've seen black skateboarders and black all kinds of people. I saw a black guy dressed like a headbanger riding a bicycle with a motor on it through the upper 9th. Nobody will look at you too hard. Counter cultures and alternate religions or ... non religions to speak ... are very common here and aren't even really given much of a thought from what I see.

We are friends on Facebook, and I sent you a message through the forum and on there.
I know I have said this before, but you can get away with almost anything in this city without being judged. Just be yourself and I bet you'll be fine.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I agree with Mwah. One thing that has always struck me odd is how gay culture here is far more accepted and common than interracial dating. I'm black and am married to a black woman so I can't speak from personal experience, but its not that I've seen interracial couples being judged or denigrated by others, its that I don't see any interracial couples hardly ever. Maybe once in a blue moon when I visit Lakeside Mall I'll see one interracial couple holding hands and I always remember it because of how rare it is to see.
That's interesting. Black male/white female is quite common everywhere in the u.s., it seems. I mean, not super super common, but common enough. Are you including that as well?

The one I almost rarely ever see anywhere in the U.S., is black female/white guy. I'm a white guy who used to live in NYC, and I was the white guy in that combo for a few relationships. So, I always tuned into to trying to see others that were similar, it was very far and few between.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:03 AM

On my part folks it will probably take a bit of time getting used to the accents. On a different subject have things improved in all aspects of life after the devastation of Katrina?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans